Drowning in pop century hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignohippo

My thoughts and prayers are with families affected by this incident. So sad to think a family vacation cam turn into a disaster within minutes.... no family should never have to go through something like this ever.

So true. Let's hope everything ends up okay and this ends up just being a crazy story the family can tell about their trip to Disney and can laugh about it one day.

Ignohippo

Doubt that'll happen with the loss of a child. :/

Um. The boy is in critical condition. Let's all pray and hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse.

As I said (and I swear people don't actually READ anymore), "I hope everything turns out okay and that this just ends up a crazy story...."

Please do us all a favor and actually read the post before commenting. If it's too hard for you to decipher, read it again. If you still don't understand, don't comment.

WDW1974

I wish they'd atleast mention my name if they're going to copy and paste me. Oh well. Trivial thing to worry about at this point.

I've noticed all the life guards are no longer sitting in their chairs at all. But rather walking back and fourth.

Point one: yes, it's trivial but they should still give credit.

Point two: they've been doing so for years and while I'd love to say it's to make sure no one is in trouble, it isn't. It's too make sure there isn't any fecal waste in the pools (ONLY AT WDW!!!) Really!

WDW1974

Um. The boy is in critical condition. Let's all pray and hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse.

I don't pray, but I am sending any positive vibes his way. I just worry because I was told he was basically dead when brought in last night.

BTW, I haven't had much time to read/skim here tonight, but was he indeed injured by diving into the pool? I see that all the time and think how can people not know you do NOT dive into shallow water! It scares me everytime I'm in a pool and often I wind up saying something and the kids (and their folks) think I'm creepy and strange and go right back to behavior that can, and does, paralyze and kill.

Figments Friend

.......they've been doing so for years and while I'd love to say it's to make sure no one is in trouble, it isn't. It's too make sure there isn't any fecal waste in the pools (ONLY AT WDW!!!) Really!
-
Tis true.
Once stayed at ASMusic, and walked by the pool one late morning and noticed it was closed. Two CMs were standing at one end of the pool trying to net a...er....thingy....in their nets.

Yeah, once i realized what was going on i left quick.

o_O

Ignohippo

I don't pray, but I am sending any positive vibes his way. I just worry because I was told he was basically dead when brought in last night.

BTW, I haven't had much time to read/skim here tonight, but was he indeed injured by diving into the pool? I see that all the time and think how can people not know you do NOT dive into shallow water! It scares me everytime I'm in a pool and often I wind up saying something and the kids (and their folks) think I'm creepy and strange and go right back to behavior that can, and does, paralyze and kill.

That's what a poster named Kobe!! (thanks Kobe!!) on the top of the previous page. He said the boy dove in and hit his head.

If that's the case, it may be the best case scenario. Much better than a broken neck in this case. Totally speculating, but if he hit his head, he may be in an induced coma while they wait for brain swelling to go down and hopefully he'll be okay after he comes out. If the post is correct, and the cousin was with him, saw what happened and pulled him out, he may not have actually drowned or been without oxygen for very long.

Let's hope anyway.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wish they'd atleast mention my name if they're going to copy and paste me. Oh well. Trivial thing to worry about at this point.

I've noticed all the life guards are no longer sitting in their chairs at all. But rather walking back and fourth.

Ellis has always trained their guards to guard from a stand and walk the pool, if guests are congregating around the edge of the pool they cannot scan the waters and see around the artificial blind spot so they walk, all the while looking forward and then backward as not to have their back to any guests in the water. Disney has been using this Ellis system for many, many years, this isn't new. They even use it in the open waters of
Mickey's Retreat on the lake.

sweetpee_1993

Point two: they've been doing so for years and while I'd love to say it's to make sure no one is in trouble, it isn't. It's too make sure there isn't any fecal waste in the pools (ONLY AT WDW!!!) Really!

Oh no. Not just a WDW thing. Happens in the cruise ship pools. Kids not potty trained who are in swim diapers aren't even supposed to get in the pools because of sanitary reasons but they do. Whenever floaters are found the pool shuts down, gets drained, has a thorough disinfection, then is refilled to open. Generally its a couple hours turn around...I'm sure very annoying for parents who have to evacuate their families on busy days.

Gabe1

That isn't true at all. Where did you come up with that?

It is methods taught by Ellis Instructors to all staff lifeguards. My DD and previously my DS being Ellis instructors, guards are taught to guard from both stands and walking the perimeter of the pool, looking down the sides and around permanent blind spots and artificial blinds spots. The Ellis Lifeguards are evaluated by management in both skills of zone scanning. We actually went through this earlier in the thread and the same zone scanning is done at the Six Flags waterparks, also Ellis.

WDW1974

That isn't true at all. Where did you come up with that?

It is methods taught by Ellis Instructors to all staff lifeguards. My DD and previously my DS being Ellis instructors, guards are taught to guard from both stands and walking the perimeter of the pool, looking down the sides and around permanent blind spots and artificial blinds spots. The Ellis Lifeguards are evaluated by management in both skills of zone scanning. We actually went through this earlier in the thread and the same zone scanning is done at the Six Flags waterparks, also Ellis.

Been told that by actual WDW lifeguards. Yes, they are certainly scanning to make sure there's no one dead on the bottom. ... But they absolutely are trained to look for feces in the water as this is a DAILY issue at WDW resorts (apparently, the Pixie Dust goes right thru diaper dandies). Just ask at a resort. I've watched them (unfortunately) find said material on their walks and immediately order everyone out of the water and then go in with a net type skimmer and take it out. It is quite disgusting and quite routine at WDW.

Gabe1

Been told that by actual WDW lifeguards. Yes, they are certainly scanning to make sure there's no one dead on the bottom. ... But they absolutely are trained to look for feces in the water as this is a DAILY issue at WDW resorts (apparently, the Pixie Dust goes right thru diaper dandies). Just ask at a resort. I've watched them (unfortunately) find said material on their walks and immediately order everyone out of the water and then go in with a net type skimmer and take it out. It is quite disgusting and quite routine at WDW.

Actually my DS has been a lifeguard at WDW and has managed other waterpark facilities that implement Ellis. Ellis does not teach zone scanning for pooh at WDW. Yes pooh happens and is dealt with but the way you stated that was like Ellis had the lifeguards doing zone scanning off their chairs to look for pooh and that is not what they are doing. "Point two: they've been doing so for years and while I'd love to say it's to make sure no one is in trouble, it isn't It's too make sure there isn't any fecal waste in the pools (ONLY AT WDW!!!) Really!" It is indeed to make sure no guest is in trouble. Saying stuff like this as fact is misleading and disrespectful to those who are trained not only in water safety procedures but in emergency lifesaving procedures, especially for those who are in trouble. A life guard told me so, it may as well been the bus driver. Oy.

WDW1974

Actually my DS has been a lifeguard at WDW and has managed other waterpark facilities that implement Ellis. Ellis does not teach zone scanning for pooh at WDW. Yes pooh happens and is dealt with but the way you stated that was like Ellis had the lifeguards doing zone scanning off their chairs to look for pooh and that is not what they are doing. "Point two: they've been doing so for years and while I'd love to say it's to make sure no one is in trouble, it isn't It's too make sure there isn't any fecal waste in the pools (ONLY AT WDW!!!) Really!" It is indeed to make sure no guest is in trouble. Saying stuff like this as fact is misleading and disrespectful to those who are trained not only in water safety procedures but in emergency lifesaving procedures, especially for those who are in trouble. A life guard told me so, it may as well been the bus driver. Oy.

You can have the last word, after this, Gabe. But I have been told this by multiple lifeguards over the last 15 years and I have been in the pool when these disgusting (and potential health issues) happen. Happens far more often than someone lying on the bottom of a pool as I'm sure your DS would attest to. This doesn't negate what you are saying about their training (lifeguards, not kids ... and sometimes adults).

I take water safety very seriously. I believe every child should learn to swim in school as a mandatory life skill. I know far too many people who are 38 and say 'I like the water, but i don't know how to swim.' ... So, no disrespect was meant.

But as someone who has spent countless days at WDW pools, brownouts are a much more frequent issue than someone who needs CPR etc.

Now ... take the last word because I would rather talk about other matters ...

WDW1974

Oh no. Not just a WDW thing. Happens in the cruise ship pools. Kids not potty trained who are in swim diapers aren't even supposed to get in the pools because of sanitary reasons but they do. Whenever floaters are found the pool shuts down, gets drained, has a thorough disinfection, then is refilled to open. Generally its a couple hours turn around...I'm sure very annoying for parents who have to evacuate their families on busy days.

And that my dear is why I ONLY swim in the adult pools on DCL. ... But I can say I travel extensively and have never seen one incident of a child (or adult as that happens too at WDW) leaving solid waste in pools. Never. Anywhere. ... Again, part of the MAGIC of WDW, I guess.

Gabe1

And they get a key fact completely wrong - "pools at Disney themed resorts do not have lifeguards". When in-fact Disney have one of the best, if not the best, lifeguard program in the world.

This is a fine tribute to WDW Lifeguards!

You can have the last word, after this, Gabe. But I have been told this my multiple lifeguards over the last 15 years and I have been in the pool when these disgusting (and potential health issues) happen. Happens far more often than someone lying on the bottom of a pool as I'm sure your DS would attest to.

I take water safety very seriously. I believe every child should learn to swim in school as a mandatory life skill. I know far too many people who are 38 and say 'I like the water, but i don't know how to swim.' ... So, no disrespect was meant.

But as someone who has spent countless days at WDW pools, brownouts are a much more frequent issue than someone who needs CPR etc.

Now ... take the last word because I would rather talk about other matters ...

I would run if I were you too from this conversation because your comments were horrible and disrespectful.

Lifeguards go into the water on almost every shift after struggling guests. They are highly trained. Saying they are off stand not to look for someone in trouble is just awful and willfully misinformed. I too have been in Disney pools for decades and would never disrespect those guards by saying what you stated in this thread.
Maybe if you actually read the statements made before you went on about your first hand pooh knowledge you might have learned something.

WDW1974

I would run if I were you too from this conversation because your comments were horrible and disrespectful.

Lifeguards go into the water on almost every shift after struggling guests. They are highly trained. Saying they are off stand not to look for someone in trouble is just awful and willfully misinformed. I too have been in Disney pools for decades and would never disrespect those guards by saying what you stated in this thread.
Maybe if you actually read the statements made before you went on about your first hand pooh knowledge you might have learned something.

OK ... dem is fighting words, Gabe.

I get that your kid is a lifeguard, so you want to talk about lifesaving and the training. I appreciate that. And maybe my hyperbole was a bit much in that post. I admit that.

But get over it. I wasn't being horrible and disrespectful to anyone. I think you're just looking to be offended.

This thread is supposed to be about a kid fighting for his life (hopefully!) and I don't need a back and forth with a proud papa who feels I've besmirched the fine work done by his offspring and others. So, let's just drop it.

Gabe1

OK ... dem is fighting words, Gabe.

I get that your kid is a lifeguard, so you want to talk about lifesaving and the training. I appreciate that. And maybe my hyperbole was a bit much in that post. I admit that.

But get over it. I wasn't being horrible and disrespectful to anyone. I think you're just looking to be offended.

This thread is supposed to be about a kid fighting for his life (hopefully!) and I don't need a back and forth with a proud papa who feels I've besmirched the fine work done by his offspring and others. So, let's just drop it.

I can't even believe your word. Last word, hahah. Your not capable. Of course your hyperbole was a bit much, telling me to get over it just demonstrates your disrespect even more. My son was a lifeguard at WDW, that is where he started and after graduating college has climbed the Disney ladder and unlike your post in another thread not by creepity methods of promotion, by hard work. I'm not looking to be offended, you are belittling CM's and the Disney's reputation for their excellent training standards and making statements about what lifeguards are doing while scanning zones. They are incorrect and yet you continue to defend your inaccurate statements about the Ellis zone scanning methods. Unfortunately some vistors to these forums might actually believe your statement:
WDW1974 said:
It would only take an email, to Ellis as both of my adult children are still Ellis certified instructors to join this forum to discredit what you are saying in the above statement about Ellis Scanning Methods, since you are clinging to its accuracy? I'm sure Ellis would love the opportunity to defend themselves on the above and likely Disney would too. Disney Ellis Certified Instructors take a full week to retrain lifeguards to WDW's custom Ellis program. Each lifeguard spends 4 hours a month reinforcing those skills and those skills are not pooh patrol as you proclaim as fact cause you spoke to lifeguards and visit Disney pools. I talk to bus drivers, does that mean everything they say is true also?​
You should have stuck to your original thought process and removed yourself as the resident expert on Disney's Ellis methods of zone training of WDW lifeguards. Your so called conversations with lifeguards on pooh patrol is beyond ignorant of zone scanning. Time for you to get over yourself, you are not an expect on Disney's training of lifeguards or the methods or Ellis. Your going on the record with the above about the Disney lifeguard training is just nasty and disrespectful to Disney and the CMs. Your defending your statements, ewe. You just need to get over yourself.​
Really!​

Disneyhead'71

Just glad he is alive, but hoping it isn't one of those vegatative deals (because I was told he was pretty much deceased when brought in).

Also, the story says 'critical condition' not serious.
To clarify, when the story was updated at 6:04 AM yesterday morning, the boy was listed in "Serious Condition". It was when the did the Noon update they changed his status to "Critical Condition". If you look in the text of the original link it even says "serious condi"

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2013/3/11/boy_in_serious_condi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom