Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

VJ

Original Poster
Let me just start out by saying this is a rumor from Jim Hill's Disney Dish podcast and should be taken with a very big spoonful of salt (that doesn't help the medicine go down at all).

If this rumor is to be believed, Bob Chapek and Josh D'Amaro plan to announce that "Walt Disney World" will become "Disney World" at D23 Expo next month.

VJ

Original Poster
What would even be the purpose? Did the author of article say?

I mean, imagine all the hassle with just updating merchandise...
I honestly cannot find the source of the rumor besides it's in a Disney Dish podcast, I don't usually listen to the podcast so I'm not sure which episode it'd be in or where.

Here's the Tweet I found that mentions it:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Let me just start out by saying this is a rumor from Jim Hill's Disney Dish podcast and should be taken with a very big spoonful of salt (that doesn't help the medicine go down at all).

If this rumor is to be believed, Bob Chapek and Josh D'Amaro plan to announce that "Walt Disney World" will become "Disney World" at D23 Expo next month.
I see no upside, and a lot of downside.

Animaniac93-98

What would even be the purpose?

Presumably, it would have something to do with branding.

Possibly because they feel the Walt connection is unnecessary, irrelevant and/or problematic. They may like "Disney World" for the sake of simplicity and feel it better represents the company in its current media-conglomerate state, vs a representation or tribute to its founder, and want the parks to reflect that.

Dropping the "Walt" from various products has been happening for many years now. The box art of more recent releases of his movies simply have the "Disney" logo and no longer say "Walt Disney's" or "Walt Disney Presents"

Contrast old VHS tapes:

1659043717987.png

With Blu-rays from the last decade or so:

1659043765903.png

1659043788813.png

Animaniac93-98

They just refurbished the statue of him at MK! And aren't they adding one to Epcot?

Not putting a statue into EPCOT would actually be the easy part.

Think about all the media (physical, print or digital) that would have to be updated to reflect this. Road signs, park maps, apps, websites, books, training manuals, restaurant menus, announcements, video and TV displays, plaques (maybe?), the list goes on and on.

It would be a major pain for something that doesn't change much about the actual resort. It's why when the greater effort to remove possessives ("Walt Disney's", "Disney's") from various names started they kind of just stopped and only sporadically continued. As of this month "Disney's Sequoia Lodge" in DLP is now "Disney Sequoia Lodge". Does that really accomplish anything? No, but corporate has had weird obsessions.

dreday3

They'd have to redo all the audio that says Walt Disney World too.

Doesn't the monorail say it?

I mean, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to fix audio, but that's just the start.
Just seems like something that's going to cause a lot of trouble and dissent for little gain.
I can't imagine they would be expecting a good reaction to this announcement at D23. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom