DRIVING TO WDW IN SEPTEMBER 2016

Scoppin

Planning on driving down to WDW this September with my two from Canada, Ottawa area. I have heard/read there being issues driving thru the DC area. I am not sure if this is only an issue during the weekend or all the time. I was hoping I would be able to get some advise from those who have driven this particular route. I basically have two questions:

1. I have googled routes to Orlando and have been given two options. Both have approximately the same timeline of about 20 hours. I also know this does not take into consideration issues which may occur along the way such as construction/traffic and rest stops.

The two routes offered are:

I-81 south to I-95 south until get to Florida.

I-81 south to I-177 south to I-95 until get to Florida.

Just wondering if taking I-177 would be the better bet to avoid DC.

We will be leaving early, 8:00ish on Monday morning, September 12. I am hoping to drive for about 10-12 hours so this should take to around the DC area depending on traffic.

We will be leaving Orlando early afternoon on Friday, September 23rd. I would not expect to getting to the DC area until at least Saturday or even Sunday.

Thinking may be able to take one route going down and the other coming back up.

Thoughts?

2. Tolls: Just wondering what the tolls are like going down.

How much should I budget for the tolls?

How are payments made? I know this sounds weird, but we don't have any up here. Well, one but they mail bill to house via scanning license plate. Don't think this would work with out of country plates.

Do I need exact change?

Coins/bills?

Any positive information is greatly appreciated.

I am not looking for opinions regarding driving or not driving.

wdwfan757

I've been living in the dc metro area for about 6 years now and your luck will be completely dependent on what time of day you try to come through. Yes, you can end up in bumper to bumper traffic at midnight, but usually only during the summer (memorial day through labor day) or on a weekend where there's a lot of construction. At the wrong time, you could easily lose an hour or 2 (or 3). I googled ottawa to orlando and I'd absolutely take I81 all the way past blacksburg, virginia (its near the southeast tip), then hop on I77, and pick up I95 in South Carolina.

In terms of tolls, as long as you get on 95 AFTER baltimore, you shouldn't hit a single toll all the way to WDW (right outside of baltimore is the last forced toll on 95 that I can think of coming from New York). I've done DC to Orlando straight down 95 a few times and I did High Point, NC to Orlando via I77 to I95 last month. Just keep the Waze app handy. We hit some accident/construction traffic (google predicted +1hr) that we managed to get around using some back roads in SC. When you get out of Virginia, 95 spends a lot of time as a 2-lane interstate until you get to GA/FL. So one accident can really ruin your plan. Be active and be flexible is my best suggestion if you're doing the drive in the daytime.

Upvote 0

RustyB.

How are payments made? I know this sounds weird, but we don't have any up here. Well, one but they mail bill to house via scanning license plate. Don't think this would work with out of country plates.

Do I need exact change?

Coins/bills?

Florida has toll roads throughout the state depending on your route, with the Florida Turnpike being one of the largest. You don't need exact change as every station has a manned cashier available. Tolls are in the 1.50 USD range for typical vehicles. We travel from GA and all of our tolls are exclusively from the Florida Turnpike. I can't speak to any other states. More information from these two links:

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/a...-toll-road-changes-what-you-need-to-know.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_Florida

The Visit Florida site has a toll calculator if that helps.

---Rusty

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Do I need exact change?

Coins/bills?

Any positive information is greatly appreciated.

I am not looking for opinions regarding driving or not driving.
Get a SunPass for the tolls. You can get one on-line and have it sent to you. Saves you money on the tolls, and you don't have to worry about stopping at all. If you are only planning on a single lifetime trip, then it might not be worth it, but if you plan on driving down multiple times, it will save you money in the long run. We bought ours a few years ago. It's $25 for the minimum, but that is more than enough for your trip. Ours was under $10 total.

Upvote 0

sjv

Again? Where? We may wind up on it at some point THNX
Scranton to Harrisburg half of it is one lane , It felt like were riding through a bobsled course with the barriers. oh and be prepared to stop we were at a stand still for 45 minutes . Even with all this I still think it was better than going through DC, we made that mistake the first time we drove down.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Scranton to Harrisburg half of it is one lane , It felt like were riding through a bobsled course with the barriers. oh and be prepared to stop we were at a stand still for 45 minutes . Even with all this I still think it was better than going through DC, we made that mistake the first time we drove down.
THNX if we do a side trip we'll avoid it

Upvote 0

WDWDreamer4

We drive from east of Harrisburg, PA every year. We usually take 78 to 83 and then go around Baltimore and DC. However we leave around dinner time and hit those areas around 9-10pm. So usually we are not hitting terrible traffic. We also travel in September and the construction is usually still going on and seems significantly increased this summer so far. After DC we get on to 95 and it is smooth sailing. We don't hit any tolls on the route we take. We stay off the Florida turnpike also to avoid those tolls. Though our route has never taken us on the Florida turnpike so I don't see why you would need a SunPass. Good Luck and have fun.

Upvote 0

Scoppin

Original Poster
Have been thinking about the drive, both down and back. Thinking I could make it more of an adventure by taking two different routes. This would enable us to see two different parts of the US. We will be leaving Monday, September 12; don't need to be in Tampa until Wednesday, September 14 and then we will make our way to WDW after our day at Busch Gardens. Then We will be leaving WDW on Friday, September 23 and need to be home by Sunday September 25.

I was thinking a more indirect route going down as we have three days to get to Tampa and not quiet as much time to get back. I would rather get home at a decent time and the following day would be a school day.

I am currently thinking of driving down the US Eastern coast line and then make our way to the Gulf side of Florida. And would really like to avoid driving past Orlando on the way down. Seeing signs for Orlando or WDW would destroy the surprise.

My reasoning for this is the kids haven't seen the Atlantic and it would be just another added feature to the trip if we were able to stop somewhere along the way and have them dip their toes in the Atlantic.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom