Driving to the parks from resorts?

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
I know a lot of people complain about WD Transportation buses. We've only had one instance where we waited for over 45 minutes to get a bus to MK in the middle of the afternoon on one of the busiest days of the year. Otherwise, we've never waiting more than about 15 minutes for a bus, and no more than 15 minutes during the ride itself. That doesn't seem overly awful.

We're looking at an upcoming trip where we'll have access to a car (staying at AKV). I'm wondering whether driving is really better? For example, I envision long lines to get past the parking lot gate, waiting for the parking tram, and of course, if you're going to MK, you're parking in the TTC, not the gates of MK anyway.

For those of you who've stayed onsite, is driving really faster? I mean, people complaining about Disney buses keep saying "I'd have been back in my room if I drove". Having never driven but having seen the lines of people waiting to arrive/leave, I kinda doubt that.

lilclerk

The general rule of thumb is it's faster to drive to Epcot, DHS and AK, and ride the bus to MK. However, I personally still prefer to drive to the MK. Partly so I don't have to wait in line see potentially 2-3 buses go by before I get on, and partly because it gives me an excuse to ride the monorail.

Marijil

I've done a 180 on this...I actually prefer the buses...the fact that you can just zone out on the way back...not find a tram etc...I used to be an avid driver but now I rarely use my car unless I have an adr at a resort for dinner or something

Betsyboo

We've had access to a car during one if our trips. We parked when we arrived and didn't get back in the car until we left. The Disney transportation is just easier.

AndyGator

I almost absolutely refuse to use the bus system. I usually stay at Riverside and can get to Epcot in less than 10 minutes. The walk from the parking lot is usually the same as from the bus loop. You also avoid the following:

1.) Waiting for the bus to actually show up to your resort
2.) Folding strollers and holding them while you ride.
3.) Hoping you'll get on the first bus that arrives.
4.) Stoping at all other bus stops at your resort
5.) Leaving a park at closing time. This is the worst part to me. I am usually pretty sick of being surrounded by people by the end of a day. Disney bus rides at this time have always been brutal for me. On the last, a kid puked all over the floor. Great bus ride.

But hey, I'm pretty crowd averse and misanthropic. Maybe you wouldn't like driving as much as I do. And the more people that start driving, the worse parking will be for me. So, USE THE BUSES EVERYBODY!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Drive everywhere except mk. No questions and if you stay late... Maybe even drive to mk. Ride the resort loop and it's not too crowded to get to ttc

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
For MK, would it be possible to park at one of the MK-area resorts all-day to hop the monorail? Though, at park close, the monorail lines are crazy-long.

I was joking with my wife that pretty soon, they'll have FP+ slots for exiting the park or the monorail/bus line.

AndyGator

The Poly is almost always open. Sometimes the lot can get pretty full. Plus, you can stop at the dole whip machine on your way out.

Tommye1078

We always drive to all parks. For the MK we park at contemporary and walk for Epcot we park at beach club and walk in the back way

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes but I wonder if there's significantly less traffic people, etc to contend with at one of the resorts.
And you're allowed to park there all day? I wonder why people don't just do this instead of using the TTC then?

You're not supposed to - people abuse the policy all the time though and hence from time to time Disney enforces strict parking during busy periods.

If you are heading to the MK - you are supposed to park in the TTC lots. The reason people goto the resorts is to escape paying for parking and to get 'closer'. It's like the people who park in the fire lane at the grocery store because they are too imporant to park in the parking lot like everyone else.

jlsHouston

I do both. I almost prefer driving and parking at HS unless I am staying at an EPCOT resort. I have gone for dining at the POLY or GF for breakfast and left my vehicle in their parking lot and rode the monorail into MK and then back to that resort and taken the car "home". But mostly I use the disney transportation that my resort offers when just going to parks...I like to zone too on the ride back to the resort at the end of a park day. The only park to resort and back that driving actually seems faster is HS....all the other parks it seems like disney transportation gets you there faster. But I do usually have a car when we are on property because I like to have the option of driving to the resorts for ADRS and I do run to Walmart and Target for water and stuff.

Weather_Lady

Whether driving is better depends on your opinions of driving! It's probably more efficient, certainly.

We always take WDW transportation, notwithstanding the fact that it can take longer -- although we rarely see waits over 10 minutes -- because we'd rather not drive on vacation. I commute 50 minutes each way to work every day. On vacation, I'd rather chit-chat with my family on a bus stop curb waiting for an air-conditioned bus than have to run around getting to my hot car and navigating unfamiliar traffic routes. For me, getting to my destination a few minutes later is worth not having the hassle of driving myself.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The general rule of thumb is it's faster to drive to Epcot, DHS and AK, and ride the bus to MK. However, I personally still prefer to drive to the MK. Partly so I don't have to wait in line see potentially 2-3 buses go by before I get on, and partly because it gives me an excuse to ride the monorail.

Have to agree with this one MK is the only park where the Bus is a better option than driving in.

In our case we always have wheelchair for DMIL who due to orthopedic issues cannot stand for long periods of time so having a small SUV or full size car to transport wheelchair is much more convenient for us AND the other guests

slappy magoo

And you're allowed to park there all day? I wonder why people don't just do this instead of using the TTC then?
You're not supposed to. Disney has the right to monitor who's parking there because they're booked at those respective resorts and who isn't. I suspect they don't care if a: the lot isn't full and b: you're booked at some Disney resort, so you're not getting away with not paying for the theme park's parking lots. But if the lot is full they can start scanning for cars not supposed to be there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom