Driving in Florida

PrincessRiot

Original Poster
Hi all

I am visiting Florida and Disney this week and I will be attempting to drive!
I have driven in the UK for 8 years and really want to be able to drive whilst I am over. In the U.K I drive. a manual mini roadster cooper s.

I will de driving an exuinox and a Mini Countryman over there both automatic

Any UK drivers have any tips for driving in America? Other than the obvious like you drive on the other side?

Thanks in advance.
Lilo

The Mom

Premium Member
I live (but was not raised) in Florida, so have gotten used to the driving here.

1. People will pass on the right, especially on the interstate. So if you are passing someone on the left on the interstate, you must check to make sure that no one is passing the same vehicle on the right before you get back into the middle lane! They also do it a traffic lights if the car in front of them is waiting to make a left turn. So if you are trying to turn left from the opposite direction, watch out.

2. People think turn signals are optional. It's important to keep an eye on body language. If you see a driver in the next lane looking over at the space in front of you, there's a good chance he/she is getting ready to pull in front of you. Do not expect a signal.

3. Right turn on red is supposed to mean " Come to a complete stop. If there is NO approaching traffic, you may turn." Instead, it is usually " Slow down and look over your shoulder while you check out the traffic. If you think you can squeeze in before they hit you, go for it."

4. Ignore the merge signs until your travel lane absolutely disappears, and then try to force your way in at the absolute merge point. Don't worry about cutting in front of those who made the merge earlier - they are delighted to let you cut the line. :rolleyes: But also be prepared to suddenly see a "Right or Left lane must turn" sign - sometimes only painted on the road. A little humility will go a long way in having someone allow you to cut in. Don't forget the little "thanks" wave - let the other driver know that you know they've done you a favor.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I live (but was not raised) in Florida, so have gotten used to the driving here.

1. People will pass on the right, especially on the interstate. So if you are passing someone on the left on the interstate, you must check to make sure that no one is passing the same vehicle on the right before you get back into the middle lane! They also do it a traffic lights if the car in front of them is waiting to make a left turn. So if you are trying to turn left from the opposite direction, watch out.

2. People think turn signals are optional. It's important to keep an eye on body language. If you see a driver in the next lane looking over at the space in front of you, there's a good chance he/she is getting ready to pull in front of you. Do not expect a signal.

3. Right turn on red is supposed to mean " Come to a complete stop. If there is NO approaching traffic, you may turn." Instead, it is usually " Slow down and look over your shoulder while you check out the traffic. If you think you can squeeze in before they hit you, go for it."

4. Ignore the merge signs until your travel lane absolutely disappears, and then try to force your way in at the absolute merge point. Don't worry about cutting in front of those who made the merge earlier - they are delighted to let you cut the line. :rolleyes: But also be prepared to suddenly see a "Right or Left lane must turn" sign - sometimes only painted on the road. A little humility will go a long way in having someone allow you to cut in. But don't forget the little "thanks" wave - let the other driver know that you know they've done you a favor.

That's all so so true.

#3 though, they really slow down at red lights? When did they start doing that? ;)

Also to add to #3, bike lanes are turn lanes here. Just hope there's enough room for them to pass you without any damage. :arghh:

Also #4. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cars pushed out of a lane because someone didn't yield during a merge. It depends upon whether you saw them speeding by you while you waited patiently in line for the merge.

We wave with our middle fingers, right? I'm just kidding. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Having had the joy of being foreign to both UK and US roads i can say that there isn't a whole lot of difference .
The Mom has it pretty spot on,although, #2 seems to be normal in both countries.
Just remember to stay alert and have a great trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom