Driving from Northeast on Good Friday?

DisneyWeather!

Hi all. I am sure many of you have driven to WDW from the Northeast on Good Friday in the past. We will probably leave northwestern New Jersey in the mid to late afternoon. I am fearful of hitting traffic on Rt 95 around DC. I am looking for some insite on the typical traffic areas on Good Friday. I have used mapquest and have found a way around Phila, Balt., DC, and Richmond via 95 using Rt 81. The website says it will take 20 minutes longer, but I am assuming there will be less traffic. Any help, suggestions?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Hi all. I am sure many of you have driven to WDW from the Northeast on Good Friday in the past. We will probably leave northwestern New Jersey in the mid to late afternoon. I am fearful of hitting traffic on Rt 95 around DC. I am looking for some insite on the typical traffic areas on Good Friday. I have used mapquest and have found a way around Phila, Balt., DC, and Richmond via 95 using Rt 81. The website says it will take 20 minutes longer, but I am assuming there will be less traffic. Any help, suggestions?

I-81 will indeed take you west of those cities. You may wish, however, to cross back over to I-95 at some point, because I-81 takes you further southwest (into Tennessee) than you want to travel. I believe I-64 can take you from I-81 (near Staunton, VA) to I-95 (just north of Richmond). Fromt here it would be a relatively straight shot down I-95 south to Florida.

As for traffic, yes I believe I-81 will help you avoid much of the congestion around the major cities. I do also believe it is a route favored by many truckers, so you may encounter more semi traffic. I used to drive I-81 between Winchester and Blacksburg and had many a truck accompanying me along the way. But, it should still be better than the gridlock around the cities. :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

As far a 95 on any Friday now that the weather is changing...I would even want to think about being in the area until well after 7pm. Not sure how long it takes to get from starting point to the DC area but if it will put you in DC anytime between 3pm -7pm I would look into taking 81 down close to Richmond then get back on 95. And if you do hit 95 do yourself a favor and DONT get on the HOV lanes unless you are 3 or more and HOV is STILL in effect. Once it open it everyone it may look like traffic is moving better but once you hit the end it will bottle neck and you will lose all the time you just saved. Good Luck!!

Upvote 0

jeff59rt

We usually leave the phiadelphia area around 10pm to avoid almost all the traffic from here to Virginia, after that it's clear sailing. Just need 3 five hour energy drinks and your in Disney!

Upvote 0

octoberbarry

You're probably in for a really bad drive no matter which way you go. I-95 is a disaster from New York to Richmond on any holiday; avoid it at all costs.

We've done the drive on I-78 (thru Allentown), to I-81, to I-77 (thru Charlotte and Columbia), to I-26, back to I-95 in South Carolina a couple of times. In general, the traffic keeps moving but I agree with earlier posters that truckers seem to love I-81.

You can get back to I-95 in Richmond via I-64 but we avoid this. We've hit really bad traffic south of Richmond (but usually only in the summer).

Given that you're driving on Good Friday, you're likely to hit several snags along the way anyway you go.

This route is an excellent way to go. I did it just last year, and I drive 81 in VA frequently. Yes truckers use it but they are respectful and the traffic MOVES. That 'extra 20 minutes' will end up getting you there much earlier than the traffic you'll sit in in VA on 95. Definitely go inland. IMHO...

Upvote 0

coachwnh

avoid 81. you will have traffic there as well. stay on 95. the out of the way routes will not save you time in the long run. trust me!! just when you think you have found a better way, it always bites you in the end

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

DC traffic is the Worse!!! I have to drive down there from Philly at least 2x a month. I highly suggest that you think about leaving late Thursday night or Friday in the wee hours of the morning to avoid it.

I too would be careful taking back roads, as I am sure given the holiday weekend, many people have the same idea to do that which I am sure will be causing a back up.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

We will probably leave northwestern New Jersey in the mid to late afternoon. I am fearful of hitting traffic on Rt 95 around DC.

Any chance you could leave earlier in the day?

The one potential saving grace is that, thanks to both technology, a crappy economy and high gas prices, more people are telecommuting than ever before, especially on days before major holidays when a lot of people an expect to leave early. So while I wouldn't expect smooth sailing, the traffic perhaps won't be as bad as it would've been on Good Friday, say, 5 years ago. But if you could start your drive by 10, there's a good chance you'll be just ahead of the early-departures. And if you avoid traffic, great, take a nice long dinner break somewhere else down the line. But if you do get hit, at least leaving early might balance out the time spent in traffic.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom