Driving from New York......

Todd L

I did it once and hated it. It was 15 years ago and With time the memories faded.

We began talking about Driving again and then we spent the weekend driving to northern Vermont for a wedding....Over 1000 miles in a couple of days!!

It wasnt so bad but here i am a day later and im still exhausted!.,

So what do tou do to make the long drive managable??

Lunamis

We're taking the 20 hour trip from NJ in August...first time we've done it in a while but in the past we have probably done it 8 or so times.

We do make one overnight stop, typically in GA. It's not hard but it can be tedious. We plan a few short stops along the way- a BBQ place in SC we like, JR Cigar/Outlet in NC, South of the Border, etc. We get some fun snacks for along the way and pop in some Disney CDs.

The way back is worse- on the way you are excited with anticipation!

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
I should metion that I have two kids a 7 year old boy and an 18 year older Girl...They get along well and shes a big help with him. We are flying this year for sure..

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

Take a plane
I am with you!!

My brother drives down every year with his 3 girls. Oh NO not me...lol Put my butt on a plane. My rear gets numb 2 and 1/2 hours on a plane I could not imagine driving that long (I know there would be stops my I fear I would not have feeling left in my toes! )

I am squirming just thinking about the flight to Ireland! California was a rough ride for the rear, I am trying not to think about it!

Upvote 0

draybook

I HATE long distance driving. Our trip is only half of yours, but I hate it. I'd love to fly but even flying Southwest would be about $900 for the four of us compared to $450 for the rental car and gas.

Upvote 0

Dasnowz

We drove from Washington state to DL numerous times. It was a 22 hour trip. First time our youngest was 2. We usually left late afternoon(kids usually slept most of the way ) after we ate a substantial dinner. With 2 drivers we drove all night and got in for dinner. We would go to the pool and relax then start the next day at the parks.

We did the math( kept meticulous logs on every penny we spent on the trip) and it cost around $350 round trip for gas (chevy astro van). I always packed a cooler with drinks and snacks. You can make cup of soup in rest areas for quick snacks. We would bring things like banana bread for breakfast. Have a yogurt or string cheese with it for protein. We also would pack things like tortilla roll ups the kids could snack on.

We could have done it in 17 hours but with a minimum of 4 kids we stopped at a lot of rest areas. We also stopped at fruit stands on the way and got fresh produce. We stopped in the mountains and had picnics.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Right on....My airfare this year from New york was $1100 for 4 people round trip. It would be AT LEAST that much to drive when you figure in gas, food, hotel, tolls and all that stuff.
You are probably correct but only if you are going to fly down and spend less time there then the total of travel time and touring time. For example if you fly down and spend 5 days at Disney then you have spent $1100.00 for airfare and whatever it cost you for lodging/food for the 1 day flight there and the one day flight back. Total of 7 days including travel.

If you drive, I would guess that the average person takes two days to travel there and travel back so there are 4 days on the road with hotels (one night each way) and food plus around $550.00 for gas (current calculation). Factor in the 5 days there which is the same expense as before and you have got approximately the same cost but it was spread out over 9 days (two more days).

I cant' speak for you because I don't know your individual habits, but all the people I know, that choose the option of flying will opt for the same number of days which would add two more days to onsite vacations time. Disney isn't going to give you that extra two days, so if you fly and use the same amount of time as if you drove, then you still have the cost of hotel and meals for the same number of days. If you add to your park time you also just added admission fees for two extra days and on top of that you spent $550.00 extra on transportation.

What that all boils down to is that it is very seldom cheaper to fly with a family then it is to drive. What you sacrifice is time at the parks, many people find that extra expense worth it because they like being in the parks and not so much being on a road trip. Those two reasons are the only things to consider, time on site and road trip time. It is almost never cheaper, but, it is a whole lot easier, if not a bunch less flexible, to fly then drive.

Now my brain hurts! :eek:

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
A good supply of crystal meth usually makes that kind of drive manageable.

I don't mind driving (even without the meth), Flying is obviously better and quicker and nothing like being on MSUSA 4-5 hours after lifting your head off your pillow at home. However If airfare got to the point where we couldn't afford it I would definitely do the drive.

We used to do it all the time when I was young and I loved the long road trips with the family.

It's definitely harder as I get older especially since now I'm the one that's driving and my wife falls asleep within 15 seconds of being in a moving car.

We've visited my folks in Lauderhill a few times by car. I just load up a few of my favorite CDs or Spotify and rip straight through with maybe a hour stop to rest my head.

Upvote 0

weird

We usually make a stop at the end of NC. If we had an extra experienced driver, we would probably just rotate and go straight down. Otherwise, my best friends are Coke, Mountain Dew, and Mello Yellow.

Upvote 0

Zman-ks

Long drives don't bother me. As long as I have some music I am good to go.
75.gif

Same here...but as long as the kids are sleeping :p

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

A good supply of crystal meth usually makes that kind of drive manageable.

I don't mind driving (even without the meth), Flying is obviously better and quicker and nothing like being on MSUSA 4-5 hours after lifting your head off your pillow at home. However If airfare got to the point where we couldn't afford it I would definitely do the drive.

We used to do it all the time when I was young and I loved the long road trips with the family.

It's definitely harder as I get older especially since now I'm the one that's driving and my wife falls asleep within 15 seconds of being in a moving car.

We've visited my folks in Lauderhill a few times by car. I just load up a few of my favorite CDs or Spotify and rip straight through with maybe a hour stop to rest my head.

:eek:

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

My father always insists on driving the whole thing. Why when he has two other drivers with him is beyond me.

Anyway, my brother and I take our laptops and a case of DVDs and we're good.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We love the drive from VA. 8 hours the first day with a stopover in Santee, SC and 7 hours on the 2nd day. We have this time worked into our schedule. We listen to our collection of Disney music, the comedy channel, take periodic breaks including one at the Florida Welcome Center and at Daytona Beach to get out and walk on the beach! We arrive about 2pm on our 2nd day and unpack and head for Epcot.

Upvote 0

eeyoremum

We have driven from Southern Ontario. It is not my favourite thing to do but we can also shop more and do our groceries before we head home so it is easier. We have driven to Disney, Winnipeg (about the same distance) and Miami (really too far in my opinion).

Depending on how we feel we may not stop and drive straight through. We can make Orlando in about 19 hours with two drivers. Coming home from Miami we only stopped because we hit bad weather in the mountains.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom