Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

Stevek

I also have to chuckle that two (2!) of the smattering of open businesses will be Starbucks. Two of them. :rolleyes:

After World War III ends, there will still be a couple of Starbucks open.
They'll probably come up with a Nuclear Winter Spiced Latte to celebrate.

There will only be two sit-down type dining offerings open to start with; Naples and Uva Bar. Napolini, the make-your-own pizza bar attached to Naples hasn't been mentioned in any of the reporting.

All of the rest will be either snack bars, take-out windows, or churro carts.
  • Naples Ristorante e Bar = Table Service Patio Dining!
  • Uva Bar & Cafe = Table Service Patio Dining!
  • Asian Street Eats = Snack Bar
  • Jamba Juice = Snack Bar
  • Salt & Straw = Snack Bar
  • Wetzel’s Pretzels = Snack Bar
  • Starbucks = Full Menu Starbucks
  • Starbucks West = Limited Menu Starbucks
  • Black Tap Craft Burgers & Shakes = Take-Out Window/Instagrammable Moments
  • Earl of Sandwich = Take-Out Window
  • California Churro = Churro Cart
  • Kayla’s Cakes = Churro Cart
  • Wetzel’s Diggity Dog = Churro Cart

Doesn't Earl have an outdoor patio?

Really, the only reason I'd come down is for a great pizza at Naples...and only if we were in the area. We really only visit DTD when we make a trip to Trader Sam's and want something beyond Sam's food for dinner.

Th3 DUd3

Please, stop peer pressuring me! I've got a very caring doctor at the VA who I'm convinced implanted a chip in my butt that knows every time I put on an extra pound and triggers him to send me a nagging email asking if I'm walking daily.
o.jpg

TP......On second thought, Don't go to Darya

TP2000

Original Poster
TP......On second thought, Don't go to Darya

No, no, plenty of protein is fine! My doctor agrees that my blood type loves protein, dairy and meat. It's sugar and grainy carbs that do me in.

Just saw a youtuber stream from the cast member preview. In case anyone was curious, the esplanade is open and you can go up to the gates of the parks. Also, 65th anniversary merchandise is up in the World of Disney store, so you don’t have to mess with that online event,

Thanks! I have no doubt the next few days will be a frenzy of blogging and Disneyana excitement, and it's wise of them to let people push their noses up against the gates and see the train station to remind us all that it's still there. A view of Disneyland and new 65th merchandise is all Downtown Disney really has as a hook to get people interested.

I just wonder how they keep the interest going through July and into August if the park doesn't open.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

By opening, they can qualify for the PPP program, which would cover a lot of the labor costs.

I can see the headlines now- "Multi Billion Dollar Walt Disney Company Takes Federal Funding".

I mean, I'm all for them reopening and using whatever federal funding they're legally allowed to but I imagine the press is gonna have a field day if they start taking federal funds to pay their employees, on top of the negative publicity they're already gonna get when they reopen.

Darkbeer1

>>Mandatory face masks must be hands-free, snug fitting, secured with ties or ear loops and cover the nose and mouth. Costume masks are prohibited. <<

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

I can see the headlines now- "Multi Billion Dollar Walt Disney Company Takes Federal Funding".

I mean, I'm all for them reopening and using whatever federal funding they're legally allowed to but I imagine the press is gonna have a field day if they start taking federal funds to pay their employees, on top of the negative publicity they're already gonna get when they reopen.

I was referring to the lessees, that are much smaller. We know Sephora and TWDC won't qualify.

mandelbrot

Great insight, thank you!

I was baffled by the 8pm closing time. Especially in summer when folks eat dinner later. So much of this reopening strategy just doesn't make any sense!

I'm going to wait a week or so and check in with my friend in the commercial real estate biz. It should be interesting to hear his take on how the numbers stabilize after the opening weekend blogger fest clears out.

But it appears that one thing I heard over a month ago is a big part in this baffling reopening strategy; Disney as the property manager had to attempt a reopening of DTD to prevent themselves from future legal hassles from failed tenants. Malls can legally reopen in Orange County, so Disney has to make a good faith effort to reopen their mall to prevent themselves from being sued by Patina, Lego, Brennan's, Sephora, Starbucks, etc. Even though the parking and logistics for what's left of their customer base is pure junk. They still have to attempt a reopening or get sued.

Otherwise, almost all of this current business plan and operating strategy makes no sense. o_O

The parent company is the Patina Group, owned by Delaware North. They are not in a good place financially right now. :(
They put all their eggs in one basket. Nearly all of their locations are at tourist destinations, sports arenas, and performing arts centers--all bad places to operate in a pandemic. It was a good business model...until it wasn't.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Wow, Downtown Disney fans do exist.

I've never heard magic and Downtown Disney in the same sentence before.
It's there. Sorry you've missed it. :)

I've experienced it often both on my own and with friends over the past several years.

I've spent so many amazing nights hanging out watching the bands at that stage. Or mornings in the Jazz Kitchen listening to the musicians there. Or listening to groups singing out in front of Wonderground Gallery. The past few years that entertainment was pulled out of the parks - happily a fair amount landed in DTD. Made for some amazing times. ♥

TP2000

Original Poster
Who else want's to drive through Anaheim traffic with me, pay a fee for parking, and get some "Wetzel's Diggity Dog"? We can then head over to Starbucks or Jamba Juice.

I love these magical experiences only Disney can offer.

I can see your point. The current retail/dining lineup is not just lackluster, it lacks critical mass and momentum.

But... there are three retail locations that are for people heavily invested in the Disney "brand" (@realBobChapek would love that I'm speaking his language), and I imagine TDA is hoping these three stores are enough to pull Disneyland fans in without an actual Disneyland;
  • World of Disney
  • Wonderground Gallery
  • Disney Dress Shop
Then there are two dining locations that are unique to Downtown Disney and not found anywhere else in SoCal;
  • Earl of Sandwich
  • Black Tap Burgers & Shakes & Instagrammable Moments
Naples is fine, but it's just a good pizza place, and those are a dime a dozen. The rest of the dining and shopping is found at every other strip mall and shopping center in SoCal; Sephora, Wetzel's Pretzels, Pandora, Starbucks, Sunglass Hut.

Plus a Cheesy Fake Surf Shop For Nice People From Utah that won't do any business with actual SoCal locals.

They simply have to get Disneyland reopened, or else the entire Downtown Disney business model with its annoying Security Theater and crummy parking 8 miles away makes no sense. And the half dozen big restaurants that are still closed have owners or parent companies that are on death's door, and can't afford to be the one to take the first step without Disneyland open.

I've spent so many amazing nights hanging out watching the bands at that stage. Or mornings in the Jazz Kitchen listening to the musicians there. Or listening to groups singing out in front of Wonderground Gallery. The past few years that entertainment was pulled out of the parks - happily a fair amount landed in DTD. Made for some amazing times. ♥

I absolutely love your passion and excitement for this, I honestly do! It's refreshing, and I thank you for sharing it. :D

Your point about the fun entertainment that Downtown Disney has offered regularly in the last few years is a really good one. At today's CM preview there was no live entertainment.

Let's hope they can figure out a way to get some of that back ASAP, especially if Disneyland isn't going to open for another month or more. The current offerings and amenities aren't enough. They really do need to get live entertainment back immediately to get people interested and feeling it was worth the parking/security hassle.

Last edited:

mandelbrot

Wow, Downtown Disney fans do exist.

I've never heard magic and Downtown Disney in the same sentence before.
I love Downtown Disney and I always have. I used to make the drive from Glendale just to eat and bar hop in DTD with friends. Bar service is usually excellent and many bartenders have been there since the place opened. Sadly, many of them may never come back, not because of being shut down for months, but because of opening up at the wrong time

The dining in DTD can actually be really good. There are some wonderful dining options like Brennan's and Catal. Brennan's can be a bit noisy but I've never had a meal there I didn't love. I'm a sucker for their Coconut Shrimp and BBQ Shrimp & Grits. Delicious! Catal offers polished service, a nice wine list, and perhaps the best steaks on property. I'm obsessed with their Ahi Bruschetta and Suckling Pig and the view from their balcony during the fireworks while enjoying a nice bottle of wine is a truly special experience.

You want a great burger? Skip Black Tap (the burgers are good but usually overcooked) and go to Uva. Their Lamb Burger might be the best burger on property. Their other burgers are also great and the Corn Arepas and Fish Tacos are absolutely killer. The Short Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich at La Brea is my favorite sandwich in the resort and maybe anywhere. The Carnitas at Tortilla Jo's is fantastic as is their tableside guacamole. Splitsville is...well it's there. Yeah not a lot of love for that place.

There's a lot of great stuff in Downtown Disney. Some good (and free!) entertainment. Enjoying some wonderful drinks and some delicious food as a break from the parks makes it feel special to me. On its own though? Without the parks? With none of my favorite spots open? I'm going tomorrow just to see what it's like but I won't go back again until Catal, Jazz Kitchen, and La Brea open back up. There's just no point and I won't be the only one that thinks so.

Darkbeer1

Lisa and I know we need to make an appearance as a show of support.

Might do it Saturday before eating at the White House.

Of course, if we hear it is crazy busy, we will pass and try later.

I want to look at the 65th stuff, but no big desire to buy anything.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Uhhh...?

You do know earl is all over socal right?

That being said, I will always gladly go to earl every time I'm near one.

Oh, I had no idea! Well, there's one less location that you can only find in Downtown Disney. There's 3 of them up in LA.

Although to be honest, the nearest one is 20 miles away in Belmont Shore, and most are 30 or 40 miles away up in LA.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Curiously watching some live streams of Downtown Disney. Boy, did I underestimate the crowds/ demand. There are lines snaking around the entrance and along harbor. And that’s not even people that parked! I have a reservation this evening at 8pm at Naples (first time!) but if this keeps up, I may not get in/ want to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom