Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

TP2000

Original Poster
Even though the parks are indefinitely delayed (again), Downtown Disney is reported to be going ahead with its reopening plan next Thursday, July 9th. The Grand Californian Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel will remain closed, along with nearly every other hotel in the Anaheim Resort District except the Little Boy Blue Motel.

I figured we'd need a thread to discuss the operating changes, the tenants that reopen and those that don't, how the place works with outdoor dining only, if the sushi at Splitsville is still horrible, etc.

Here's some breaking news to kick this thread off.... The Void has closed permanently at Downtown Disney. It's apparently a legal tussle unrelated to Covid, and Disney as the landlord for the mall has revoked their lease effective immediately. Even though The Void would not have been allowed to reopen on July 9th anyway as indoor entertainment (with sticky visors), it appears The Void will never reopen now.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the future of Disneyland Resort is going to be drive-thru socially distanced takeout. They have a massive parking deck that hasn't been necessary since Galaxy Edge opened. They can have takeout food and merchandise with socially distanced characters waving to guests as they drive through.

I doubt the theme parks will reopen any time soon and they need to make money.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's a list of things Permanently Closed at Downtown Disney that we know of (but still sit there empty):
ESPNZone/Disney Dance Moms Woo Palace
Rainforest Cafe
AMC Theater
The Void

Here's my best guess of what will not reopen on July 9th, but may reopen later in July when dining restrictions relax:
Catal
Ballast Point Brewery
Black Tap Burgers
Splitsville
Starbucks West next to AMC
Disney Vacation Club Sales Center

Here's my best guess of what will reopen on July 9th:
All Stores
All the cheesy carts selling crap along the walkways
World of Disney
La Brea Bakery
Starbucks East next to World of Disney
Naples
Napolini
Uva Bar
Tortilla Jo's
Wetzel's Pretzels
Salt&Straw
Earl of Sandwich

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

download (2).jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m soooo ready for the videos and picture updates from Downtown Disney!!! @TP2000 you should consider posting weekly blogs on YouTube. Might even make a little money out of it! You could always blur your face and do the creepy, low disguised voice that they used to have on TV when someone wanted to protect their identity.
@TP2000 becoming one of those Disneyland vloggers that go daily/weekly would be hilarious! But don't know if I see it. Well unless he wore a monocle, and every week would shout out his drink of the week, then maybe I could see it.

Curious Constance

@TP2000 becoming one of those Disneyland vloggers that go daily/weekly would be hilarious! But don't know if I see it. Well unless he wore a monocle, and every week would shout out his drink of the week, then maybe I could see it.
At the end of each video he could have a segment where he teaches all us losers how to be fancier. Just one little tidbit each week, and in a year's time we'd be HIGHFALUTIN!

TP2000

Original Poster

While I am terribly flattered by my friend @Curious Constance's suggestion to do a weekly video blog, I just can't see that happening. It's just not me, and I fear I couldn't keep engaged long enough to do such a thing.

Also, I'm afraid I can't pull off the Grown Man Acting Like A Drunk 16 Year Old blogger look in public. Or in private.

629907_68aDJkCX.jpg

All that said, I absolutely can not wait to see these video bloggers swarm Downtown Disney next Thursday. The coverage and the breathless YouTube videos should be hysterical to watch next Thursday night! Set your VCR's, kids!

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
While I am terribly flattered by my friend @Curious Constance's suggestion to do a weekly video blog, I just can't see that happening. It's just not me, and I fear I couldn't keep engaged long enough to do such a thing.

Also, I'm afraid I can't pull off the Grown Man Acting Like A Drunk 16 Year Old blogger look in public. Or in private.

629907_68aDJkCX.jpg

All that said, I absolutely can not wait to see these video bloggers swarm Downtown Disney next Thursday. The coverage and the breathless YouTube videos should be hysterical to watch next Thursday night! Set your VCR's, kids!
Don’t sell yourself short, I’m betting you could do it and be engaging as well.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The breathless bloggers should be there on Wednesday. :) It was reported on a couple of sites that's when the CM preview day will be for DTD and from what I've heard from someone who got invited along, CM's can bring a guest.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Anyone know if reservations are available yet for DTD restaurants for this week? Didn’t know if I missed something, or if there was a unique way to make these outside of the Disneyland app (I.e phone call or opentable)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom