Downtown Disney Parking and Traffic over the weekend was insanity

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this was the first weekend where the Marketplace Parking was totally shut down and all traffic for the garage was being routed to a single entrance.

When the garage is fully armed and operational, it is going to be amazing.

It just was not quite that way this weekend.

To start off, westbound I-4 now has light up signage signaling that drivers are to take Exit 67 for Downtown Disney. This is the exit after Hotel Plaza Drive.

So traffic is being intentionally funneled to this route.

When leaving the half operational garage Saturday (floors 5 and 6 are still under construction and 2-4 are still about 25-30% blocked off), I noticed the traffic on Buena Vista backed up a bit. As we passed the Westside, it looked like it might be a bad night to be heading to DTD.

But then, it didn't stop. The traffic backed up further. Off Buena Vista. Then further. Back onto Epcot Center Drive (Exit 67).

But that wasn't all, it was a stand still back onto I-4.

Still not enough stand still?

It pushed back I-4 all the way to the Team Disney building.

The whole circle around. Right back to the garage entrance.

I understand this was the first weekend of the new parking situation, and it looks like the additional floors of the garage should be running before the holidays, but just be aware that Saturday Night traffic to Downtown Disney may be a bit dodgy the next few weeks.

Kman101

I'm staying away from that area until parking is finished lol. No desire to stress out in that nightmare. It doesn't help that Christmas is around the corner and it sounds very very confusing and messy. We all know things are going to be better, eventually, and it's a sucky inconvenience right now but still ... I'd hate to *have* to go through that area.

Nemo14

Thanks for the heads up. We're supposed to be meeting up with my sister's family Saturday morning at Saratoga Springs. I think we'll take the back way in!

Figment82

I'm so glad I didn't venture over there on Saturday. Was out doing some shopping and thought about going over to the Marketplace to pick up some things, but when I saw it was after 4, I thought "no way!" You confirmed my fears to be accurate! Sorry you got mixed up in that mess, hopefully it gets sorted out as construction continues.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
We had arrived about 3:30 and it took about 10-15 minutes to get into the garage.

I just happened to be in the area twice during the week and it was no trouble at all.

They have also locked down the Casting parking lot for employees most of time.

So, it is pretty much Westside only parking for the time being.

Rototom

Thanks for the heads up. We're supposed to be meeting up with my sister's family Saturday morning at Saratoga Springs. I think we'll take the back way in!

I'm going to be down there between Christmas and New Years. What is the back way? I think I'm going to need it!

piglet1

Does anyone know if Disney bus traffic is impacted by this? We are staying at the BWV and planned on going to DTD on Friday. Should we cab to OKW and boat in? Any info appreciated
Thanks!

Jakester

Does anyone know if Disney bus traffic is impacted by this? We are staying at the BWV and planned on going to DTD on Friday. Should we cab to OKW and boat in? Any info appreciated
Thanks!
I believe that all busses going to Downtown Disney(Springs) go in from the distribution area going past Saratoga Springs.

ToTBellHop

I believe that all busses going to Downtown Disney(Springs) go in from the distribution area going past Saratoga Springs.
But, they are still certainly affected by the traffic. It's taken forever to get to DTD by bus for awhile now. Hopefully, this will improve once traffic improves and they go to just one bus stop.

CDavid

But, they are still certainly affected by the traffic. It's taken forever to get to DTD by bus for awhile now. Hopefully, this will improve once traffic improves and they go to just one bus stop.

There's just one bus stop now, right? The Pleasure Island stop was closed some months ago (and West Side years ago). Eventually, of course, there will be a new single stop for entire complex.

ToTBellHop

There's just one bus stop now, right? The Pleasure Island stop was closed some months ago (and West Side years ago). Eventually, of course, there will be a new single stop for entire complex.
I believe you are right...and it is a nightmare given how tiny the Marketplace stop is. Once they have a larger stop (like the theme parks), it should be much improved. Of course, what should we expect when visiting a complex largely under construction? I plan to take 2015 off from DTD and visit again in 2016 to see the whole thing, shiny and new. Dealing with the traffic nightmare people describe and the rampant construction would probably leave me in such a sour mood that I won't bother.

R W B

I headed to DTD Friday night about 8pm on I4 and I saw the signs that said take exit 67 but from my gps screen I saw that I'm use to taking the exit before, exit 68 so that's what I did and it really wasn't much of a problem. Little traffic on hotel plaza blvd but just seemed normal for a Friday night. I pulled up to the cast parking lot and they let me in. Still had about a 1/4 of the lot empty so I grabbed an end spot because oh yea, I was towing a trailer with my truck and still had zero issues. We left about 10pm, fueled up at that Hess and left the same way we came in.

Sounds like Saturday was much worse but Friday wasn't bad at all even with my trailer.

backinaction

leaving for the world today and we usually hit up DTD atleast twice on the trip. Does anyone know if this problem happens during weeknights as well? Also, can you still park over by Disneyquest or have they blocked that area off?

disney4life2008

leaving for the world today and we usually hit up DTD atleast twice on the trip. Does anyone know if this problem happens during weeknights as well? Also, can you still park over by Disneyquest or have they blocked that area off?

Yes - with the holiday season in full swing I would expect increased traffic in the coming weeks.

rangerbob

Sounds like they should have waited until after the holidays to close and start the construction on the 2nd garage. Then again this is TDO that we are talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom