Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

LastoneOn

Made one last visit before operations probably change again (fingers crossed they don’t) View attachment 517017
View attachment 517018View attachment 517020View attachment 517019
And very eerie of a dark Pixar Pier and empty Hyperion Theater

View attachment 517021
View attachment 517022
Wandering around, nice music, mostly happy people, clean streets and sidewalks.
Not a bad way to spend a day or an evening. Why so many people don't get that is a mystery.

LastoneOn

Ugh... my eyes.....

Why do you all keep rehashing the same arguments you've been having for 8 months? Why do I keep reading? Why, when so many good businesses have given up, is there any inkling that Captain Kidd's will re-open? Ever?

So. Many. Questions.

Carry on, wayward sons.... I'll show myself out.
For some it's becoming obvious that they do not view COVID as a bug, but a feature.
And they love it.

Sailor310

I've got to add an update. Our Redondo Beach rebel got shut down hard by LACO. From the Daily Breeze:

LA County closes Redondo Beach diner after owner defies coronavirus shutdown order​

TDB-L-DINING-1124-14-1.jpg

Iconic South Bay greasy spoon Eat at Joes has a banner up on the outside of the diner that reads The French Laundry Patio Dining an obvious riff on Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new coronavirus restrictions and his infamous dinner party. (Photo by Chuck Bennett, Contributing Photographer)
By LISA JACOBS | ljacobs@scng.com |
PUBLISHED: December 4, 2020 at 4:23 p.m. | UPDATED: December 8, 2020 at 6:32 a.m.
You can no longer “Eat at Joe’s.”
The popular Redondo Beach diner was shuttered by the Los Angeles County Public Health Department midday Friday, Dec. 4, and fined $500, said owner Alex Jordan. He has a hearing with the Health Department scheduled in 10 days, he added.
The county did not respond to requests for comment Friday.
The closure, which Jordan called arbitrary and heavy-handed, comes after Eat at Joe’s publicly defied countywide orders banning all in-person dining in an effort to slow the current surge of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations. In the days following the county’s order, Eat at Joe’s continued seating and serving customers and tables set up on the sidewalk and parking lot.

READ MORE
Manhattan Beach’s former dining decks, now public seating areas, draw visit from LA County
READ MORE

Then, on Wednesday morning, health officials visited the restaurant, on Pacific Coast Highway, and told him he had to shutdown by Friday or risk temporarily losing his health permit. Eat at Joe’s opened on Wednesday and Thursday.
On Friday morning, anticipating a potential visit by health inspectors, the restaurant switched to take-out only and removed tables from the sidewalk, Jordan said — but kept the tent up with an “outdoor dining is closed” sign.
But about 20 patrons who ordered to-go food ignored the signage and sat at the tables under the tent anyway, Jordan said. Those customers did, however, socially distance and wear masks.
A county health officer arrived around noon, Jordan said, and completed a detailed inspection, including looking at his trash cans and into bathrooms for soap dispensers.
Jordan said the inspector told him the restaurant would keep its A health rating, but that “we’re closing you down.”

“They came with the intent to close me down,” Jordan said. “They wanted to close me down.”
Jordan employees 12 people, down from about 25 before the pandemic, he said. His biggest worry about the diner’s closure was for them.
“First and foremost. I’m very upset for my employees,” Jordan said. “My goal was for them to get salaries, not to be put out of work.”
The restaurant owner said he is considering starting an online fundraiser to help his staff.
“I don’t want to get too political with this,” Jordan said. “But I’m not happy obviously.”
The restaurant, which has been in the same location since 1969, also received attention last week for the French Laundry banner it displayed. The high-end Napa Valley eatery received attention recently for hosting a dinner party attended by Gov. Gavin Newsom. Newsom on Thursday announced a new regional stay-at-home order that would, once it goes into effect, shutter all in-person dining throughout Southern California.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I've got to add an update. Our Redondo Beach rebel got shut down hard by LACO. From the Daily Breeze:

LA County closes Redondo Beach diner after owner defies coronavirus shutdown order​

Iconic South Bay greasy spoon Eat at Joes has a banner up on the outside of the diner that reads The French Laundry Patio Dining an obvious riff on Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new coronavirus restrictions and his infamous dinner party. (Photo by Chuck Bennett, Contributing Photographer)
PUBLISHED: December 4, 2020 at 4:23 p.m. | UPDATED: December 8, 2020 at 6:32 a.m.
The popular Redondo Beach diner was shuttered by the Los Angeles County Public Health Department midday Friday, Dec. 4, and fined $500, said owner Alex Jordan. He has a hearing with the Health Department scheduled in 10 days, he added.
The closure, which Jordan called arbitrary and heavy-handed, comes after Eat at Joe’s publicly defied countywide orders banning all in-person dining in an effort to slow the current surge of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations. In the days following the county’s order, Eat at Joe’s continued seating and serving customers and tables set up on the sidewalk and parking lot.

READ MORE
Manhattan Beach’s former dining decks, now public seating areas, draw visit from LA County
READ MORE

Then, on Wednesday morning, health officials visited the restaurant, on Pacific Coast Highway, and told him he had to shutdown by Friday or risk temporarily losing his health permit. Eat at Joe’s opened on Wednesday and Thursday.
On Friday morning, anticipating a potential visit by health inspectors, the restaurant switched to take-out only and removed tables from the sidewalk, Jordan said — but kept the tent up with an “outdoor dining is closed” sign.
But about 20 patrons who ordered to-go food ignored the signage and sat at the tables under the tent anyway, Jordan said. Those customers did, however, socially distance and wear masks.
A county health officer arrived around noon, Jordan said, and completed a detailed inspection, including looking at his trash cans and into bathrooms for soap dispensers.
Jordan said the inspector told him the restaurant would keep its A health rating, but that “we’re closing you down.”

“They came with the intent to close me down,” Jordan said. “They wanted to close me down.”
Jordan employees 12 people, down from about 25 before the pandemic, he said. His biggest worry about the diner’s closure was for them.
“First and foremost. I’m very upset for my employees,” Jordan said. “My goal was for them to get salaries, not to be put out of work.”
The restaurant owner said he is considering starting an online fundraiser to help his staff.
“I don’t want to get too political with this,” Jordan said. “But I’m not happy obviously.”
The restaurant, which has been in the same location since 1969, also received attention last week for the French Laundry banner it displayed. The high-end Napa Valley eatery received attention recently for hosting a dinner party attended by Gov. Gavin Newsom. Newsom on Thursday announced a new regional stay-at-home order that would, once it goes into effect, shutter all in-person dining throughout Southern California.
I said this would happen.

SuddenStorm

This is the kind of guy I'd love to work for.

Californian Elitist

READ MORE
READ MORE

A shutdown was only a matter of time. The city was not going to let him openly defy orders and disobey the law.

I feel for him and his employees. Hoping this doesn't last too long and those who are currently shut down can get back to work before things get too tough.

TP2000

A shutdown was only a matter of time. The city was not going to let him openly defy orders and disobey the law.

I feel for him and his employees. Hoping this doesn't last too long and those who are currently shut down can get back to work before things get too tough.

Too tough? Because a kid washing dishes for $13 an hour was already living too high on the hog?

Meanwhile, the white collar classes keep Zooming like nothing is wrong and we can just live like this forever. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to pick on you personally @raven24, but you yourself have told us that you used to make a living pulling down on Mr. Toad lapbars for barely above minimum wage. But now you think restaurants should be shut down and all restaurant employees thrown out of work indefinitely for what reason? LA County couldn't provide a shred of Science & Data to a judge this week about how that helped anyone, so what's your thought behind why a small family owned restaurant should be put out of business permanently after spending thousands to try and obey previous County orders?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Proposed bill would require in-person instruction at schools when a county’s COVID stats improve – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>Several California lawmakers are proposing an urgency bill to require California schools resume in-person instruction once their county progresses out of the most restrictive tier of the state’s coronavirus tracking system.

If adopted by the state Legislature, AB10 would require after March 1 that once a county enters at least the red tier, schools would have to reopen classrooms within two weeks, following public health guidance.

Currently school district leaders make the decision when to return students to campus once a county is out of the purple tier, and some in Southern California have delayed that transition over local virus concerns.

The proposed law would still allow students to choose the distance learning option, said Assemblywoman Cottie Petrie-Norris, but targets concerns about the effectiveness of distance learning and the overall well-being of youth during the pandemic.<<

lazyboy97o

Too tough? Because a kid washing dishes for $13 an hour was already living too high on the hog?

Meanwhile, the white collar classes keep Zooming like nothing is wrong and we can just live like this forever. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to pick on you personally @raven24, but you yourself have told us that you used to make a living pulling down on Mr. Toad lapbars for barely above minimum wage. But now you think restaurants should be shut down and all restaurant employees thrown out of work indefinitely for what reason? LA County couldn't provide a shred of Science & Data to a judge this week about how that helped anyone, so what's your thought behind why a small family owned restaurant should be put out of business permanently after spending thousands to try and obey previous County orders?
Prioritizing the economy hasn’t saved it anywhere. Actually dealing with the pandemic and not pretending it’s just a cold or flu or something you don’t know the difference between will get people working. The whole concept of quarantine comes from merchants.

Last edited:

Th3 DUd3

I didn't have parking being charged in my vision. Just fee's for the Trolley Ride experience I thought for my Hometown Revival & Homecoming.

$10 a person gets you a

DCA
Ride on the Trolley through Hollywood Land stopping off to drop you off to take a picture in front of GOTG and a politely encouraged no stopping roped walk though Avengers Campus exiting through to the Hub. (nothing open just lights)

Disneyland
Ride on the Trolley through Main Street (would be closed at the midway point at Carnation Cafe) to the castle for a Picture and politely encouraged no stopping walk back to main street via the side routes.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I didn't have parking being charged in my vision. Just fee's for the Trolley Ride experience I thought for my Hometown Revival & Homecoming.

$10 a person gets you a

DCA
Ride on the Trolley through Hollywood Land stopping off to drop you off to take a picture in front of GOTG and a politely encouraged no stopping roped walk though Avengers Campus exiting through to the Hub. (nothing open just lights)

Disneyland
Ride on the Trolley through Main Street (would be closed at the midway point at Carnation Cafe) to the castle for a Picture and politely encouraged no stopping walk back to main street via the side routes.
That vision will never happen.

el_super

Excellent article in the LA Times by Todd Martens yesterday regarding the hollowness of the reopened Downtown Disney experience:

I spent about four hours on the recently opened Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure. About 90 minutes of that time was at the Carthay. During the rest of my visit I was hoping to capture some semblance of why the parks mean so much to me. It wasn’t possible, despite the number of Disney-focused social media personalities on Instagram who argue the opposite by posting pictures of themselves holding a corn dog. Instead, I spent the bulk of my time sitting near the exit of Soarin’ Around the World, in part because there were no other people there, and in part because this was as far as Disneyland allowed guests to go.
The more trafficked areas of Buena Vista Street simply saddened me. At the time I was there, guests were encouraged to line up to visit the shops on either side of the street. I didn’t join them, since I currently refuse to go indoors anywhere that isn’t my apartment. But the shops without the attractions also reduced the parks to their most unsavory aspects, that is places that exist as little more to buy products and encourage fetishism among collectors.
So as Knott’s closes and Downtown Disney recedes, it’s simply another reminder that we’re failing as a nation to protect those who work at the parks. But the guests who enjoyed them? We’re not losing anything. The ability to walk in largely unopen parks amid a winter in which COVID-19 cases are spiraling turned these spaces into symbols of defeat, a shrug that simply said, “This is the best we can do.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom