Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

Th3 DUd3

Well, now that we've walked down Memory Lane, how do we think we're going to walk into Buena Vista Street?

The newspaper said they'd let us in "at a gate near La Brea Bakery". That sounds exactly like the gate they used for DCA's exit during the messy 2011-2012 construction of Buena Vista Street when the main entrance was closed. And the DCA entry forced you into this weird alleyway behind Soarin' that led to the Grizzly Peak Airfield area....

Possiblyprobably-my-last-time-using-the-temporary-entrance-to-DCA-620x370.jpg

So will they use that old alleyway again? Or just let us straight into Grizzly Peak Airfield to walk towards Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle area?

I have made this stunningly professional map that is hard to believe it was created by an old man having a glass of wine, with the blue arrow being the old 2011 "backstage" alleyway behind Soarin' that would dump you out at the park entrance just beyond the turnstiles. And the red arrow being the more permanent walkway thru Grizzly Peak Airfield that would dump you out right at the Starbucks at Carthay Circle.

Beautiful downtown Buena Vista Street is outlined in gold, with gold stars on the main shopping and dining operations to be offered within a Blueprint For A Safer Economy.

They should probably go with the red arrow option, even though it's a longer walk.

View attachment 509090
I thought I did already.

el_super

el_super

Also OC Register is reporting a couple additional details:

To encourage social distancing and manage crowds, Disney will use a mobile wait list when Buena Vista Street or its queue reaches capacity. Mobile wait lists may also be used for restaurants and shops on Buena Vista Street.

and;

Smokejumpers Grill will serve a streamlined menu of burgers, fries and craft beer. Award Wieners will offer corn dogs and drinks. More details will be released soon on reservations for Carthay Circle Lounge.

and;

No rides, entertainment or character meet-and-greets will be available in DCA while Buena Vista Street is open for shopping and dining. No admission fee will be charged to enter DCA to shop and dine.

Darkbeer1

Buena Vista Street will reopen on Nov 19th.

New $10 parking fee for Downtown Disney.

Makes parking at STC Anaheim GardenWalk even better.

First hour free, $3 per hour after that, and validations if your shop/dine at AGW.

Plus you use the Eastern DtD entrance, which has little to no wait, compared to the Western Entrance next to Simba.

TP2000

The webpage works now and yep, no Duck Wings, Biscuits, Pork Chop, Filet Mignon. It's now a mediteranean restaurant.

I wonder if their head chef, from South Korea, was let go as part of the layoffs. The duck wings were her recipe.

The Manhattan and the biscuits were the best part about Carthay Circle. I'm not eating there without the biscuits.

And they are purposely designing "plates to share"??? Isn't that an excellent way to spread Covid, sharing food and touching plates and reaching across the table? Does Sacramento know about that? :oops:

Little Green Men

The webpage works now and yep, no Duck Wings, Biscuits, Pork Chop, Filet Mignon. It's now a mediteranean restaurant.

I wonder if their head chef, from South Korea, was let go as part of the layoffs. The duck wings were her recipe.
WHAAAAT???? Those were the best things at DCA for me.

Stevek

Also OC Register is reporting a couple additional details:

To encourage social distancing and manage crowds, Disney will use a mobile wait list when Buena Vista Street or its queue reaches capacity. Mobile wait lists may also be used for restaurants and shops on Buena Vista Street.

and;

Smokejumpers Grill will serve a streamlined menu of burgers, fries and craft beer. Award Wieners will offer corn dogs and drinks. More details will be released soon on reservations for Carthay Circle Lounge.

and;

No rides, entertainment or character meet-and-greets will be available in DCA while Buena Vista Street is open for shopping and dining. No admission fee will be charged to enter DCA to shop and dine.
Can't wait to chug overpriced Disney beers again while downing an average burger at Smokejumpers...I'm actually serious! Disney Magic Baby!!

Good to be back in the Disneyland thread...I got sucked into the Election thread...if you think things can be a trainwreck here...whooahh boy, this is like a day in Fantasyland with all you can eat churros.

Last edited:

Stevek

So from reading that, Carthay Circle doesn't have its Filet Mignon, Duck Wings, Fried Biscuits, or Pork Chop anymore? You have to eat outside too?

I was thinking of going there but if I don't even get the atmosphere of the inside of Carthay Circle, or the food options we like, I don't see the point in visiting.

"Carthay Circle Restaurant, known for its upscale cuisine, is introducing Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining, a new outdoor dining environment and menu featuring Mediterranean-California light fare, with small plates that can be shared or enjoyed separately at Carthay Circle Lounge"

So there is a Carthay Circle Alfresco Longue, but in the same sentence they talk about enjoying your food seperately at Carthay Circle Lounge. Are there 2 different locations? Disney Parks Blog still uses the same confusing wordage as always.

I like how the link in the blog to Carthay Circle leads to a blank web page.
My Birthday is 12/19 but unfortunately no option to reserve dining yet. Ready to chug down a few $17 Mai Tai's!

Stevek

The Manhattan and the biscuits were the best part about Carthay Circle. I'm not eating there without the biscuits.

And they are purposely designing "plates to share"??? Isn't that an excellent way to spread Covid, sharing food and touching plates and reaching across the table? Does Sacramento know about that? :oops:
Eating? It's all about the booze man!

Stevek

Makes parking at STC Anaheim GardenWalk even better.

First hour free, $3 per hour after that, and validations if your shop/dine at AGW.

Plus you use the Eastern DtD entrance, which has little to no wait, compared to the Western Entrance next to Simba.
Fire and Ice. I'd much rather eat there than most places at DTD. Soo friggin good.

D

Deleted member 107043

The Manhattan is a classic cocktail, easy to make, and the recipe uses basic ingredients available at any reputable bar or medium to high end restaurant in the US. Can we assume that one can still be ordered at Carthay even though it isn't featured on the menu?

TP2000

The Manhattan is a classic cocktail, easy to make, and the recipe uses basic ingredients available at any reputable bar or medium to high end restaurant in the US. Can we assume that one can still be ordered at Carthay even though it isn't featured on the menu?

Great point, Hans. This isn't rocket science, it's Bartending 101 (or if you are at an Applebee's, Bartending 201). Although the gimmicky yet fun thing was the ice sphere they would put in the Manhattan.

I assume they will still do their Carthay Manhattan. But the rest of it?... Meh.

It's a slimmed down Sharing Plates menu, eliminating a few classic items like the biscuits and the duck and the filet.

And you don't get to eat inside the gorgeous dining room.

full

You are out on a generic SoCal stucco patio. Sharing plates, which makes absolutely no sense during a deadly pandemic.

Unless I read some fabulous review where there's some secret exotic offering or incredible storytelling moment offered out on the patio, I'm going to easily skip this. Carthay Circle without the Carthay is not worth it.

I don't envy TDA here. They are trying desperately to restart a business model of some sort, but it's not looking good so far. And we are heading into the non-patio dining season in SoCal. The forecast for tomorrow in Anaheim is cloudy skies, a high of 59 degrees, with a half inch of rain. On Sunday it's cloudy and much cooler, getting down to 39 degrees that night. This is not the season where you want to have dinner outdoors and share plates of generic Mediterranean fare.

mfortis

Great point, Hans. This isn't rocket science, it's Bartending 101 (or if you are at an Applebee's, Bartending 201). Although the gimmicky yet fun thing was the ice sphere they would put in the Manhattan.

I assume they will still do their Carthay Manhattan. But the rest of it?... Meh.

It's a slimmed down Sharing Plates menu, eliminating a few classic items like the biscuits and the duck and the filet.

And you don't get to eat inside the gorgeous dining room.

full

You are out on a generic SoCal stucco patio. Sharing plates, which makes absolutely no sense during a deadly pandemic.

Unless I read some fabulous review where there's some secret exotic offering or incredible storytelling moment offered out on the patio, I'm going to easily skip this. Carthay Circle without the Carthay is not worth it.

I don't envy TDA here. They are trying desperately to restart a business model of some sort, but it's not looking good so far. And we are heading into the non-patio dining season in SoCal. The forecast for tomorrow in Anaheim is cloudy skies, a high of 59 degrees, with a half inch of rain. On Sunday it's cloudy and much cooler, getting down to 39 degrees that night. This is not the season where you want to have dinner outdoors and share plates of generic Mediterranean fare.
You are not sharing plates with the people at the next table. You are sharing it with the people at your own table. The same people you went there with and probably live with. All the people at the same table who will be taking thier masks off to eat. And that you will ride in the same car with out a mask in your way home.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You are not sharing plates with the people at the next table. You are sharing it with the people at your own table. The same people you went there with and probably live with. All the people at the same table who will be taking thier masks off to eat. And that you will ride in the same car with out a mask in your way home.
I don't care. I don't wana share a plate with my mom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom