Downfall of the American Adventure pavilion

Matt_Black

Advertisement
Or maybe we can stop ignoring how racist this country has been and work hard to fix it.
Indeed. Like in the TCM special about blackface- "Denial is worse". Or, to use an old saw, "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Or maybe we can stop ignoring how racist this country has been and work hard to fix it.
Splash Mountain @ WDW has been around for 27 years, 11 months, and 17 days and people are now just getting "offended" about it? No one gave it a 2nd thought until recently. A handful of liberals demand the ride be changed and Disney caves. I'm sorry but retheming it isn't going to fix the race problem in this country.

Lilofan

Splash Mountain @ WDW has been around for 27 years, 11 months, and 17 days and people are now just getting "offended" about it? No one gave it a 2nd thought until recently. A handful of liberals demand the ride be changed and Disney caves. I'm sorry but retheming it isn't going to fix the race problem in this country.
From opening day of AA until a few years ago the Confederate flag hung on the wall of flags. It's now longer on the wall.

Matt_Black

Splash Mountain @ WDW has been around for 27 years, 11 months, and 17 days and people are now just getting "offended" about it? No one gave it a 2nd thought until recently.
No, there's been talk of changing it for years, at least as far back as 2017. And there were discussions about some of the elements even before then.

tl77

In the other thread, I proposed ending the dinky little raft ride over, changing the riverboat's track (yes, it's got a track), and putting a second riverboat dock on TSI.

That would draw more visitors I think.

EDIT - As for a Pocahontas ride....that will never, EVER happen.
If you thought Splash was too spicy for its connections to the "Happy Subservient Black Person" stereotype, just wait until you get "Covering up brutal "s" assault from multiple offenders and possible murder with a cheesy love story".
At the risk of going even further off topic here... I don't have a problem with Splash Mountain, but clearly people do. My issue is that putting Tiana in the Disneyland version of Splash Mountain makes sense there, and clearly that artwork was designed for Disneyland, because it's on the edge of their New Orleans Square area next to the New Orleans style Haunted Mansion... I always thought Splash Mountain looked out of place next to the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland...
dpbwd10094857239842034982039480239424fi.0.jpg

But I don't think a New Orleans themed attraction fits well in WDW's Splash Mountain, being wrapped around the Frontierland Train Station and in between Pecos Bills and Big Thunder. I also think it's kinda weird that Pocahontas meets in Animal Kingdom? I'd put Pocahontas in the WDW's Splash Mountain, songs like "Just Around the River Bend" and "Colors of the Wind" would be an easy fit I think. And instead why not build a whole New Orleans Square area at WDW somewhere along the north north edge of the Rivers of America for Tiana?

wdw rides.jpg

You could put a second entrance to Tom Sawyer Island up there as well, or even bring back Davy Crockett, Mike Fink, and some version of the Keel Boats... at the very least you'd have something to look at riding the River Boat that thematically works with the River Boat ...it just seems like not much thought was given to this idea in terms of how it would work in WDW's Magic Kingdom.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
From opening day of AA until a few years ago the Confederate flag hung on the wall of flags. It's now longer on the wall.
It's no secret Disney removed it because a photo of Dylann Roof posing with the flag was circulating around the internet in 2015 .

Mickey5150

People have been offended for a long time but nobody would listen. This country is finally waking up and there are enough voices to be heard. Retheming alone won't fix the problem but it can help.

Lilofan

One good thing came out of the American Adventure. The entire top floor only accessible by the private elevator in the front of the attraction is the very secretive and very expensive Club 33. No, I've never been to experience. That would be cool, Get some drinks and food at Club 33, then go down to the second floor and get excellent viewing spots to listen to the very popular and talented Voices of Liberty.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

One good thing came out of the American Adventure. The entire top floor only accessible by the private elevator in the front of the attraction is the very secretive and very expensive Club 33. No, I've never been to experience. That would be cool, Get some drinks and food at Club 33, then go down to the second floor and get excellent viewing spots to listen to the very popular and talented Voices of Liberty.
I always felt what made it unique was the fact you could get booze in Disneyland. In Epcot, not such a big deal

Goofyernmost

Splash Mountain @ WDW has been around for 27 years, 11 months, and 17 days and people are now just getting "offended" about it? No one gave it a 2nd thought until recently. A handful of human beings that care about the feelings of others and a deep sense of just how wrong slavery was demand the ride be changed and Disney caves. I'm sorry but retheming it isn't going to fix the race problem in this country.
FTFY... It may not fix the race problems because the attitude that we should do nothing about it would be the reason that we have a race problem in this country.

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
FTFY... It may not fix the race problems because the attitude that we should do nothing about it would be the reason that we have a race problem in this country.
Just like how a certain group wants to rewrite American history, you had to go and change what I said. Still isn't going to change how I feel about what's going on right now.

Goofyernmost

Just like how a certain group wants to rewrite American history, you had to go and change what I said. Still isn't going to change how I feel about what's going on right now.
Just like what I corrected did not change what you said (I assume some ego led version of History), instead it corrected it. I'm so tired of the BS liberal mantra and if being a liberal means that I care about other people then I will happily wear that mantra. But it is just plain ignorance to define decent human being with any label other then a decent human being.

mdktf

If the American Adventure show was better, the pavilion would be more competitive with the others. I know most people here consider it sacrosanct, but I was underwhelmed when I saw the show several years ago. The storyline seems haphazard, and I can see why historians significantly preferred the Hall of Presidents when Eisner showed them both attractions in the 90s.
I love it, think the show is great, gives me chills and love the song.

Top Bottom