Downfall of the American Adventure pavilion

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm a VERY patriotic American and the recent closing of Heritage Manor Gifts got me thinking; I feel like the American Adventure pavilion has seen better days. To clarify, I'm talking about the pavilion itself and not just the show. You look at the other countries around the World Showcase and they all have their own shops that sell merchandise that is unique to each individual country. America had Heritage Manor Gifts which sold some nice patriotic stuff and now it's been reduced to a kiosk outside just because Art of Disney needed a new home. Don't get me wrong, I love Art of Disney but putting it in the American pavilion makes no sense. I don't understand the logic behind it.

As for entertainment, we had the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps. Their last performance was in 2014 and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe it was because Disney was eliminating some entertainment acts as a cost cutting measure. Off Kilter was a also a victim of these cutbacks. It would've been acceptable if the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps was replaced by another act that was just as good if not better but that never happened.

On a positive note, at least the pavilion still has the legendary American Adventure show, Voices of Liberty, and the newly opened Regal Eagle Smokehouse.

larryz

Gold Star Duck
Premium Member
Advertisement
As long as all of the artists in Art of Disney are Americans, it's still on-theme.

Marc Davis Fan

Even at its best, American Adventure always seemed lacking compared to the other World Showcase pavilions - and, as you alluded to, that always seemed... odd.

However, a while back I read an article about the design of EPCOT Center, and it explained that American Adventure is not supposed to be an actual World Showcase pavilion representing the United States, but instead it's the "host" of World Showcase.

That being said, I do agree that The Art of Disney doesn't fit, and I don't think a Muppet-themed restaurant does, either.

HongKongFooy

"Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet"
is no longer a viable social tagline or cultural battlecry; it took its last breath in the 90's.

If we want a truly representative "American" experience the pavilion should employ immigrants with permanent residency status ("green card") selling US branded Levi's made in China and serve plates of food with 3x the amount needed for one person.

Monty

A legend.
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I honestly never saw anyone actually buy anything other than ponchos in that store.

Club Cooloholic

It's always been one of those pavilions you could almost walk right by if you aren't careful. I did like that gift shop, some patriotic clothes that weren't just American Flags embossed on shirts).
Seems to me an easy and interesting thing to do would be to borrow from what works at historical sites around the country. Have a Ben Franklin impersonator do 15 minute speeches about his inventions or the interesting stories about the founding of the country every hour.

Goofyernmost

I'm a VERY patriotic American and the recent closing of Heritage Manor Gifts got me thinking; I feel like the American Adventure pavilion has seen better days. To clarify, I'm talking about the pavilion itself and not just the show. You look at the other countries around the World Showcase and they all have their own shops that sell merchandise that is unique to each individual country. America had Heritage Manor Gifts which sold some nice patriotic stuff and now it's been reduced to a kiosk outside just because Art of Disney needed a new home. Don't get me wrong, I love Art of Disney but putting it in the American pavilion makes no sense. I don't understand the logic behind it.

As for entertainment, we had the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps. Their last performance was in 2014 and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe it was because Disney was eliminating some entertainment acts as a cost cutting measure. Off Kilter was a also a victim of these cutbacks. It would've been acceptable if the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps was replaced by another act that was just as good if not better but that never happened.

On a positive note, at least the pavilion still has the legendary American Adventure show, Voices of Liberty, and the newly opened Regal Eagle Smokehouse.
Unlike the "other" pavilions, the American Pavilion is in the United States. Locals will get minor trinkets and guests from other countries can get all the "American" swag they want as long as they buy it while in country.

JIMINYCR

I was always amazed that the gift shop was so small in comparison to the other pavilion shops. Maybe the poor sales and size were factors in discontinuing it. They were never stocked with much of a variety of items or quality gifts. I would have made more purchases there if they had more historical items of interest related to what you encountered in the pavilion shows. It is a shame that the Fife & drum corps was discontinued. They were a nice addition to the pavilion and we always arranged to be near when they were scheduled to arrive.
The American Pavilion needs to have more to stand out and show pride in America especially in these times.

DisneyAndADoleWhip

Don’t hate on me for this, but Disney has a nice patriotic ip about to drop on Disney+. It’s not necessarily theirs, but they could easily work some magic to get it. Maybe a sing-along, or an abridged version of the musical.

ppete1975

ive never cared to go to it.... i live in america i know the history (i am interested in the muppets sam the eagle though.. but i can have bbq anytime)
I guess its good to have an american pavillion for over seas tourists, but for people from america i dont see it being needed. Although can you imagine the upheaval if it wasnt there... what could be cool and fit into the IP game is make it full 1976 disney. AMERICA ON PARADE!!

The Empress Lilly

ive never cared to go to it.... i live in america i know the history (i am interested in the muppets sam the eagle though.. but i can have bbq anytime)
I guess its good to have an american pavillion for over seas tourists, but for people from america i dont see it being needed. Although can you imagine the upheaval if it wasnt there... what could be cool and fit into the IP game is make it full 1976 disney. AMERICA ON PARADE!!
Are you joking!? :eek:

The AA is one of WDW's treasures. A brilliant attraction. Technically impressive, rousing and moving. Stately, dignified, even rarified. 😍🤩

You have not been to EPCOT if you have not been to the AA. 🤨

Goofyernmost

Are you joking!? :eek:

The AA is one of WDW's treasures. A brilliant attraction. Technically impressive, rousing and moving. Stately, dignified, even rarified. 😍🤩

You have not been to EPCOT if you have not been to the AA. 🤨
Absolutely, no better AA show has ever been created before or since the opening of American Adventure. I have seen it at least 30 times and go slack jawed every time I see it. What a engineering marvel. How they made that work so flawlessly is mind boggling. Although it is a very hyperboled show, it is fairly well balanced between good and bad.

ppete1975

Absolutely, no better AA show has ever been created before or since the opening of American Adventure. I have seen it at least 30 times and go slack jawed every time I see it. What a engineering marvel. How they made that work so flawlessly is mind boggling. Although it is a very hyperboled show, it is fairly well balanced between good and bad.
Consider me oblivious. I assumed with hop and the 100s of historical sites and museums, documentaries and school history classes that i would find it redundant. But im sold on checking it out next time. I appreciate the insight 😊❤

cookiee_munster

I've been to WDW twice. last time was in 2001 and both times my family just walked past it and never really paid any attention to that pavillion. Even now as an adult i'd probably only go see the show purely for the technical aspect of it. American politics still bewilders me. Even now especially.

SteamboatJoe

I don't hate the Muppet add like others do but I will acknowledge it is a little out of place and imperfect, especially considering there was a much better, smarter way to incorporate the Muppets into Epcot (i.e. Muppet Labs).

Top Bottom