Doubling Disney World

darrelljon

Original Poster
What would be the challenges in doubling Walt Disney World from the current four theme parks and twenty seven resort hotels to say eight theme parks and around fifty four resort hotels? How quickly could we see this and how quickly are we likely to see this?

Tom

Beta Return
There will never be 8 parks. And there would only even be justification for a 5th park if the other 4 are fixed, built to capacity, and have record attendance while being open full days (i.e. closing at 6pm is not a full day).

There are very few times of the year when the resorts are at capacity, if ever. Certain categories may be, but I haven't heard of every room on property being booked at one time. I don't see a huge need to grow room quantity, but there's more room to build hotels than there is parks.

Voxel

President of Progress City
There will never be 8 parks. And there would only even be justification for a 5th park if the other 4 are fixed, built to capacity, and have record attendance while being open full days (i.e. closing at 6pm is not a full day).

There are very few times of the year when the resorts are at capacity, if ever. Certain categories may be, but I haven't heard of every room on property being booked at one time. I don't see a huge need to grow room quantity, but there's more room to build hotels than there is parks.
Bingo, only one Disney Resort right now has the numbers to possible support the addition of a new gate and that is Disneyland Tokyo. With Disneyland at 17million guest and Disney Sea at 14 Million..

Jack Pumpkinhead

And even if WDW was somehow able to double the number of parks and resort hotels, they still need to think of themings and crowd control and plumbing systems and feeding and anything else I didn't mention that is need for a large theme park business.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'd still probably lean no, unless demand calls for it. In 50 years I could see 1 more park, but not 4.
Not to mention the legal issues, much of the land remaining is labeled protected wetlands for taxation purposes which means they would have to get state and local permission to build on them along with submitting a plan on how they will make up for the destruction of wetlands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom