Don't make an "X-Wing Coaster" - make a Soarin'/FOP X-Wing ride

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
I know there's a lot of chatter about the need to build an X-Wing coaster. It seems Disney already has ready-made tech that is mind-blowing and highly popular for years and years - the Soarin'/Flight of Pandora tech. Instead of a conventional roller coaster, why don't they retrofit the Pandora tech to simulate you being in an X-Wing cockpit and, I dunno, part of the Red Squadron fleet against the Death Star / Death Star II / Starkiller base?

Purduevian

I know there's a lot of chatter about the need to build an X-Wing coaster. It seems Disney already has ready-made tech that is mind-blowing and highly popular for years and years - the Soarin'/Flight of Pandora tech. Instead of a conventional roller coaster, why don't they retrofit the Pandora tech to simulate you being in an X-Wing cockpit and, I dunno, part of the Red Squadron fleet against the Death Star / Death Star II / Starkiller base?

If the rumors about the end of RotR being in a simulator are true... Do you really want 2.25/3 rides in SWGE to be simulators? This isn't Universal!

righttrack

Agree. An X-wing coaster would just be an exercise in themeing. The Star Wars property requires a bit more innovation than that. They need to think even more outside the box of a simulator too. It needs to be next level and it needs to accommodate a lot of different types of people, much as Spiderman does at Universal. I'm thinking to have it be more akin to that than just a regular screen simulator.

rsm

Just make something fun enough to ride that people who don't like SW would still ride and that also is SW enough to appease the fans and fit the IP.

Anything that does that is fine.

_caleb

Not sure how this topic is News or Rumors, or Current Events... but I’d like to see a speeder bike/landspeeder ride that uses hidden track (like Radiator Springs Racers) for actual physical movement. It could race through desert (Jakku, Tatooine), forest (Endor, Kashyyk), whatever. I guess that’d make it a Hagrid knockoff of sorts, though...

I believe the Bantha ride that was omitted from GE would’ve used a similar approach, but with slow-moving animal ride vehicles.

Steph15251

Not sure how this topic is News or Rumors, or Current Events... but I’d like to see a speeder bike/landspeeder ride that uses hidden track (like Radiator Springs Racers) for actual physical movement. It could race through desert (Jakku, Tatooine), forest (Endor, Kashyyk), whatever. I guess that’d make it a Hagrid knockoff of sorts, though...

I believe the Bantha ride that was omitted from GE would’ve used a similar approach, but with slow-moving animal ride vehicles.
Not in Hollywood studios but I read that the guardian’s ride would have some type of hidden track or something like that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

What you would end up with is basically smugglers run. The huge immersive screen doesn't really get you anything if you are in a cockpit.

Wendy Pleakley

I can't see an X-Wing ride fitting with 'Soarin or FoP tech, an X-Wing simulation warrants a higher sense speed than either of those attractions provides.

doctornick

We'll see how RotR is received and what it's general "vibe" is, but my feeling is that SW needs something more sedate/relaxing than a thrill ride. I'd actually go the complete opposite and suggest that SW:GE could use something like a show much more than a roller coaster or other thrill ride.

They could have an theater show where AA aliens play Star Wars "songs" (can be themed to be in continuity the way the Imperial March was used in Solo and Rebels). I even could see some Stormtroopers crash the party and insist the band plays the Imperial March or the First Order theme.

Or they should have a Force sensitive area where Force Ghost Yoda instructs or trains people on the Force - and that can involve some sort of Dark Side area where Vader or Maul appears as an antagonist. Would be a good way to bring in both the Force and some OT characters.

I think an additional (non-paid) attraction that is very different than the existing rides and fills up a significant amount of time (unlike a quick ride) would help to compliment and round out the land quite a bit.

Purduevian

Yeah but ROTR as a whole is not a simulator ride ,it is a trackless dark ride.
That's why I said 2.25/3 rides. Smugglers run (1)+ Proposed FOP X wing (1) + part of RotR (0.25). Maybe 0.25 is too much. maybe like .2 or .15 if we are getting nitpicky... but yeah still way too many screens.

Scrooged

I would love an x-wing themed ride, however I would hope as others do here that it doesn't feature a bunch of screens. SR was great, but it'd be wonderful if there was an X-wing something or other that seemed a bit more dire and important than the mission for SR.

erasure fan1

I'm sticking with an outdoor coaster. Something more inline with 7D mine train but at least double the length. I want to go through a downed star destroyer and at-at like force awakens. Maybe through an old cave with a force ghost Yoda and luke...

Monorail_Orange

A really good indoor, excellently executed x-, y-, or a-wing coaster is exactly what they need. Think Hyperspace Mountain, but purpose-built rather than an overlay. You don't need any real inversions, but the "jump to hyperspace" is an actual launch to make you feel the acceleration. Use a combination of physical sets and screens/projection mapping/lighting effects to put you in the middle of a real space battle. Think Star Tours, but using a coaster to actually perform the manuevers instead of just simulating them. It doesn't need to be anymore intense than SDD, even.

The outdoor coaster wouldn't be a bad idea either, but a speeder-bike type think seems the most obvious, and that ship pretty much already sailed between TRON and Hagrid's.

pdude81

I don't really get how you'd put an X Wing coaster in black spire outpost if sticking to the rigid theming. Unless they had a carnival area like Dinoland, haha.

TongaToast21

A really good indoor, excellently executed x-, y-, or a-wing coaster is exactly what they need. Think Hyperspace Mountain, but purpose-built rather than an overlay. You don't need any real inversions, but the "jump to hyperspace" is an actual launch to make you feel the acceleration. Use a combination of physical sets and screens/projection mapping/lighting effects to put you in the middle of a real space battle. Think Star Tours, but using a coaster to actually perform the manuevers instead of just simulating them. It doesn't need to be anymore intense than SDD, even.

The outdoor coaster wouldn't be a bad idea either, but a speeder-bike type think seems the most obvious, and that ship pretty much already sailed between TRON and Hagrid's.
I posted this a few weeks ago but I find the Hyperspace Mountain overlay to be the best "Star Wars themed" ride they have in the parks. I LOVE the jump to hyperspace idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom