Don't know if this is a good omen or coincidence...

slappy magoo

Like a lot of you I've been trying to get in somewhat better shape in anticipation of the next trip. Hopefully unlike a lot of you, I really needed to get my butt in gear before the trip anyway, I got up to near 270 lbs. Been jogging and walking as much as possible to help, including every work day, once I get to Penn Station I walk to work in midtown, then walk back at the end of the day.

Over the past few days, despite temps in the mid-to-upper 80s, I haven't finished those walk dripping in sweat like I just ran a marathon. I'm not bone dry either, but the difference between how those walks were draining me before and now is marked. But I don't know how much of that is the effort I'm making, or if the heat's just been a dry heat, or I'm too tired to sweat.

Down to 244 as of this morning, I hope to be at least down to 235 before the trip...then after the trip get down to, and maintain at, 220.

To that end...no Deluxe Dining Plan this time. Also fewer buffets, though there are still a few, usually breakfasts in parks before they open. Maybe it'll be easier to eat less if I'm not thinking "but I gotta get my money's worth."

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Can totally relate. Lost about 70 pounds prior to our trip last summer. Between getting hooked on Schofferhoffer (thanks @Bob ), travelling for work because of Harvey and Itma and stress of moving this spring ive gained it back. Need another Disney trip to motivate me.

@Swissmiss and I will drag you along on our runDisney races.... 😁

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Like a lot of you I've been trying to get in somewhat better shape in anticipation of the next trip. Hopefully unlike a lot of you, I really needed to get my butt in gear before the trip anyway, I got up to near 270 lbs. Been jogging and walking as much as possible to help, including every work day, once I get to Penn Station I walk to work in midtown, then walk back at the end of the day.

Over the past few days, despite temps in the mid-to-upper 80s, I haven't finished those walk dripping in sweat like I just ran a marathon. I'm not bone dry either, but the difference between how those walks were draining me before and now is marked. But I don't know how much of that is the effort I'm making, or if the heat's just been a dry heat, or I'm too tired to sweat.

Down to 244 as of this morning, I hope to be at least down to 235 before the trip...then after the trip get down to, and maintain at, 220.

To that end...no Deluxe Dining Plan this time. Also fewer buffets, though there are still a few, usually breakfasts in parks before they open. Maybe it'll be easier to eat less if I'm not thinking "but I gotta get my money's worth."

Good going! You’re well on the way, and I bet you’ll feel great for your vacation.

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Don't know if there is a gym nearby, go in and grab a 35 pound weight and carry it up a flight of stairs. Not an omen or a coincidence but a result. When you reach your goal use 50 lbs, you'll wonder how you ever did it. Keep up the great work!
I will eventually try to get some weights or at least go back to using a Bowflex - though good luck lugging that up a flight of stairs. My dilemma is I work so fare away from where I live, and I try to spend at least some time with my kids, I have to find the time to exercise where I can. And my job isn't necessarily an in-by-9-out-by-5 deal so spending money on a gym can be wasted for months. Whereas I can jump on a treadmill or do stuff at home...IF I'm home. And then there's walking to-from Penn Station and work.

Upvote 0

Fankle

Well done you! I sympathise with working a distance from home. I often commute an hou to an hour and a half each way by car to a sedentary job. The last thing I feel like doing when I get home is exercising.

I try to take the train a couple of days per week which gives me a mile walk to the station and back. I use a gym near my work for 40mins at lunch time or go for a walk at lunch time whenever I can. I’ve also taken to dialling into work conference calls from my mobile so that I can walk around instead of sitting whenever I can. Finally i’ve started to do 20min free- weight work-outs at home at the weekend. Who wants to spend time driving to and from the gym.... Telling myself ‘it’s only 20mins’ helps.

Slowly but surely the weight is coming off but it’s tough not to undo the good-work with over-eating occasionally. Recently got myself a Fitbit versa that has really helped.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

Congrats on the weight loss. I have been struggling with mine for awhile now. I will lose 40 lbs and then gain it right back, which is so frustrating. I am currently doing low carb which is working fabulously for my water retention. Also, I think I have found a breakthough for me personally to help with my eating habits. I'm not sure if any of you have heard of intermittent fasting, but from Sunday night around 7 to Tuesday around 5 I fasted. I drank tons of water and used coffee for my hunger cravings (which weren't bad honestly). I planned on only doing a 36 hour fast, but it ended up being 46. I broke my fast by eating some spinach and some cheese sticks. I was super full after eating such a small amount. I then fasted again for about 20ish hours on Wednesday (pretty much just skipped breakfast and lunch) and again, I ate a small amount and was full. To boot, I lost 7 lbs. I know some was water weight, but some was definitely fat, as I haven't gained it back. I think I may try that every few weeks or so, but it really worked and it showed me that I had self control to keep myself from eating mindlessly. Obviously do not do this if you have diabetes or blood sugar issues, but to me it was worth a try. Also avoid all alcohol. I am pretty sure that alcohol is the reason that I gained most of my 40 lbs back. Just my take on things.

Upvote 0

Fankle

I'm not sure if any of you have heard of intermittent fasting,

I’ve had sustained success with that too, although with shorter fasting periods. I now skip breakfast midweek. I try to eat my evening meal before 8pm then break my fast with brunch the following day around 12-1pm. I don’t get hungry in the morning. (Breakfast was a habit.) I’d rather spread my calories over two more sizeable meals rather than 3 smaller ones. This way it doesn’t feel like a diet.

At the weekend i’m more likely to eat breakfast but I tend to be more active then.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Youre making great progress, keep it up. It sure is more difficult taking pounds off than putting them on. Youve got your goal set so its a matter of having the will power to stick it out and staying committed. I added the Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar drink in with my exercising and diet routine and it helped immensley. After losing the pounds, I ate well while at Disney and the added daily walking kept me from putting any weight back on. It was when I returned home that I had to watch the food and snacking more closely so the pounds wouldnt return. All of us dieters know what your going through and wish you the very best.
mickey-mouse-thumbs-up.png

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

I will eventually try to get some weights or at least go back to using a Bowflex - though good luck lugging that up a flight of stairs. My dilemma is I work so fare away from where I live, and I try to spend at least some time with my kids, I have to find the time to exercise where I can. And my job isn't necessarily an in-by-9-out-by-5 deal so spending money on a gym can be wasted for months. Whereas I can jump on a treadmill or do stuff at home...IF I'm home. And then there's walking to-from Penn Station and work.
I meant that extra 35 and 50 lbs is what you have been hauling around all this time.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I found myself eating less when I didn't have the dining plan. I might not have eaten healthier (darn those loaded nachos at Coronado Springs!) but we definitely ate less. We didn't do any large meal except for Ohana. I went back to my "normal" routine of ordering the healthier offerings off the menu like I do at home instead of ordering whatever I wanted like I usually do at Disney. Turns out calories DO count at Disney :arghh:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom