Done they were. Lied they did.

Mike S

You kids (I’m kidding...sorta) and the dismissal of the sail barge...

If you’re of a certain age/background/era of history...when R2 shoots the thing (saving the day...as always...which is a huge mistake in the new movies) and that green flashed - it was breaktaking. After the “down” of empire to see the comeback - and also the enhanced effects for its day - was pure movie magic.

But you had to be there. Star Wars maybe will always be trapped in time - it now seems apparent - but the tug will never go away until the box in the ground for the core fans.
For me it’s just how easily Boba Fett is defeated and how it’s almost comical. Luke fighting, Leia fighting, and R2 are highlights.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For me it’s just how easily Boba Fett is defeated and how it’s almost comical. Luke fighting, Leia fighting, and R2 are highlights.

Boba fett was a bit character...it’s only the EU and prequel stuff that made him “big”

Wasn’t too big of a deal then. Cult following afterward.

LSLS

So I will provide completely anecdotal evidence on Star Wars. We were at the parks this past week, and launch bay was DEAD. And I mean dead. Like the characters had 10 minute waits, and Muppets had 15 minutes dead. There were double the lines for Vapirina as BB-8. They were even letting people with strollers just go in (which I did, cause I was on baby duty while others were riding at that point), because it was in the mid 90s and sunny, and still, nobody around.

Again, I will say anecdotal, and in no way does it mean that Star Wars is dead, but I was shocked at how empty the Star Wars things really were (FYI, Marvel store in Disney Springs had at least double the people in it of the Star Wars store. Star Tours was also fluctuating between 15 and 20 minute waits. Again, ANECDOTAL, just what I saw those 2 days). Could just be it's not the new thing anymore, but I just remember the last time I was at Studios, that place was wall to wall people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So I will provide completely anecdotal evidence on Star Wars. We were at the parks this past week, and launch bay was DEAD. And I mean dead. Like the characters had 10 minute waits, and Muppets had 15 minutes dead. There were double the lines for Vapirina as BB-8. They were even letting people with strollers just go in (which I did, cause I was on baby duty while others were riding at that point), because it was in the mid 90s and sunny, and still, nobody around.

Again, I will say anecdotal, and in no way does it mean that Star Wars is dead, but I was shocked at how empty the Star Wars things really were (FYI, Marvel store in Disney Springs had at least double the people in it of the Star Wars store. Star Tours was also fluctuating between 15 and 20 minute waits. Again, ANECDOTAL, just what I saw those 2 days). Could just be it's not the new thing anymore, but I just remember the last time I was at Studios, that place was wall to wall people.

The recent material has simply been bad (not all bad...but the impression it gives) I try to look at it from any other angle and it always gets back to that simple point. It’s being born out in audience response and consumer trend.

First the prequels...then this. You can’t expect the world to wait for something “good” forever.

Disney has misread it...and it sure seems like they know it.

The idea of “hiatus” on a Star Wars is just simply unfathomable if you’ve been along for the ride...

It is what it is...

And before any newbies say “George took a break!!”

George made the other huge 80’s franchise and did special effects for every other big thing for 15 years...and made more cash than Scrooge mcduck.

Not sure that is a textbook “break”

Last edited:

erasure fan1

First the prequels...then this. You can’t expect the world to wait for something “good” forever.

Disney has misread it...and it sure seems like they know it.

The idea of “hiatus” on a Star Wars is just simply unfathomable if you’ve been along for the ride...
Yea I really do think they know it too. Lets just hope that they understand what, they misread. It is hard to wrap my head around Star Wars needing to take a short hiatus, but I'm glad they are. I won't fault them for trying to course correct. I wish DC would do the same thing but they still keep pumping out things weather fans want it or not.

Tom P.

Yea I really do think they know it too. Lets just hope that they understand what, they misread. It is hard to wrap my head around Star Wars needing to take a short hiatus, but I'm glad they are. I won't fault them for trying to course correct. I wish DC would do the same thing but they still keep pumping out things weather fans want it or not.
I don't like the direction DC has gone with many of their films either, but over the course of seven DC Extended Universe films, they have made a combined gross of roughly $5.3 billion at the box office. I'm not sure there's indication that fans don't want what DC is doing.

erasure fan1

I don't like the direction DC has gone with many of their films either, but over the course of seven DC Extended Universe films, they have made a combined gross of roughly $5.3 billion at the box office. I'm not sure there's indication that fans don't want what DC is doing.
And over the course of 4 Star Wars movies, they have made a combined $4.9 billion. But most would agree that Star wars needed to refocus. I get what you are saying but the only 2 movies that I hear fans say consistently good things about are wonder woman and shazam. People love to think that Marvel has always been number 1 but it is the DC characters that had the biggest following. So DC has a huge fanbase and that reflects in the box office just like Star wars.

breakin2

What Disney misread the most, in my mind, is the fondness people have for the original characters. To bring back the big three and never once have them all together is a tragedy. Their characters were completely wasted and, in the case of Luke, ruined.

It boggles my mind that they could invest so much into the franchise, such as SW:GE and the new resort, and let Rian Johnson put out a movie that actively “kills” the past. Not smart. I have no idea how Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.

erasure fan1

What Disney misread the most, in my mind, is the fondness people have for the original characters. To bring back the big three and never once have them all together is a tragedy. Their characters were completely wasted and, in the case of Luke, ruined.
I actually think they know the fondness we alll have for the OG characters. Where they fell on their face is thinking we wouldn't care if they weren't the central focus to the story. Instead of having Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy and Lando... take center stage for one last go, then pass the torch in EP9. They insisted on "pushing the franchise forward" by making Rey, Poe and Finn the center and figuring no one would notice or care the original beloved characters didn't get their last time to shine. The funny thing is, they gave us a new "big 3" that has yet to be together except for the final minutes of EP8. So even when EP9 ends, no matter what I think of the movie, I know I will not have anywhere near the attachment to these new characters because of this.

Darkprime

They misread the Solo situation entirely as well. Its not that the audience didn't want more Star Wars films more frequently they straight up just didn't want a Solo film. As fun as the movie was it just didn't have mass appeal. Even a Yoda movie would have made more money.

Mike S

I actually think they know the fondness we alll have for the OG characters. Where they fell on their face is thinking we wouldn't care if they weren't the central focus to the story. Instead of having Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy and Lando... take center stage for one last go, then pass the torch in EP9. They insisted on "pushing the franchise forward" by making Rey, Poe and Finn the center and figuring no one would notice or care the original beloved characters didn't get their last time to shine. The funny thing is, they gave us a new "big 3" that has yet to be together except for the final minutes of EP8. So even when EP9 ends, no matter what I think of the movie, I know I will not have anywhere near the attachment to these new characters because of this.
Ehhhhh, I would’ve been fine with 7 being their one last romp. Then the passing of the torch begins after Han’s death and the others realizing they can’t do this forever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ehhhhh, I would’ve been fine with 7 being their one last romp. Then the passing of the torch begins after Han’s death and the others realizing they can’t do this forever.

Except it’s sucked...from a character standpoint

The “old characters” have been beyond stupid and the new - save for maybe for Adam driver - are flat as a board.

I guarantee Daisy Ridley will be forgotten. And honestly I hope for her sakes she’s like Natalie Portman and her career takes her a direction where people almost forget she was in Star Wars

The characters have been the biggest failure...even the prequels didn’t go to this level.
There is nothing there.

Darkprime

My problem with the sequel trilogy is it has no cohesive story line. its kind of embarrassing. I couldn't even explain to you what the main plot of the trilogy is. I can try But it will make no sense. "There's a bad guy named Kylo Ren and he wants to be Darth Vader who actually has a master called snoke"? There's this character name Rey who lives on a desert planet. Maybe shes a Jedi? I don't know Meets a guy called Fin who used to be a stormtrooper and doesn't want to be a stormtrooper ok. (Kinda interesting).

Turns out Reys not a Jedi? Idk. Luke Skywalker is in it for some reason and wants to be left alone. C3PO gets a Red Arm, R2D2 sleeps.. Han Solo dies, there's a light saber fight, Poe makes Hux jokes, Princess Leia flies like Superman at one point,Luke tries to train Rey because now she is a Jedi..., Turns out the bad guy snoke isn't really important, more lightsaber battles" I could go on. Theres literally no plot cohesion. No heroes journey its a bunch of scenes copied and pasted together in attempt to make something watchable .

And now we're at the end of the trilogy and expected to care about these characters and the final chapter of their "journey". What journey? And now Palpatine might be back lol. Oh dear. At least the prequel and original trilogies had obvious beginning middle and ends. And actual character development.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It boggles my mind that they could invest so much into the franchise, such as SW:GE and the new resort, and let Rian Johnson put out a movie that actively “kills” the past. Not smart. I have no idea how Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.

Well the tragedy of those characters is they waited far too long. They could have brought them back in 1999 when they were older but still could have pulled off the characters.

Particularly fisher...who was completely wrecked and couldn’t do one movie...and somehow she’s in 3 past death???!!!

Disney should have really thought about this. It’s not just they were in a rush to plug “appropriate” actors in pseudo doppelgänger new characters in a reboot...it couldn’t have taken a rocket scientist to realize that having a 75 year old ford and a 60 going on 100 fisher and hamill was gonna be a longterm problem with the fan base...Those that loved them weren’t gonna like it and those those that didn’t know them weren’t gonna be the slightest bit interested.

None of the “big 3” are interesting...they’re ok as actors...but no character development and a disjointed story leave them empty and that isn’t going to be fixed now.

You can’t screw up the middle chapter of a trilogy. Just can’t. It has to be the best.

You know which movie taught us that? Think back...

Darkprime

I cant help but wonder if Lucasfilm might split from Disney sometime in the near future. This partnership is probably on shaky enough ground as it is after Rogue One, Solo and Last Jedi. There was a rumor going around that Kennedy's contract was only renewed because no one else wanted the job. If the next 3 Benioff & Weiss films under perform id be weary of Lucasfilms future as a Disney subsidiary. It could go the way of Fox 2000.

Especially with a new Disney CEO coming in sometime in 2021 who may not be a fan of the franchise's under performance. As an example. Bungie the developer of the game Destiny split from its parent company Activision after the Destiny franchise under-performed. so its possible. Disney already got it's money back on the Lucasfilm acquisition so whatever money they make now is just icing on the cake. Marvel is more valuable to Disney at this point than Lucasfilm.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I cant help but wonder if Lucasfilm might split from Disney sometime in the near future. This partnership is probably on shaky enough ground as it is after Rogue One, Solo and Last Jedi. There was a rumor going around that Kennedy's contract was only renewed because no one else wanted the job. If the next 3 Benioff & Weiss films under perform id be weary of Lucasfilms future as a Disney subsidiary. It could go the way of Fox 2000.

Especially with a new Disney CEO coming in sometime in 2021 who may not be a fan of the franchise's under performance. As an example. Bungie the developer of the game Destiny split from its parent company Activision after the Destiny franchise under-performed. so its possible. Disney already got it's money back on the Lucasfilm acquisition so whatever money they make now is just icing on the cake. Marvel is more valuable to Disney at this point than Lucasfilm.

First off...I think the story about Kennedy is 100% correct. Disney has never been known for “overpaying” management - at all - to anyone below the Board level...
So who would honestly want it? It’s more “downside” than “upside” if I’m in Hollywood. It’s been a 20 year history of coming in under expectations.

As far as splitting...I wonder what the value of lucasfilm would be now?
It’s value was always its licensing product might...now that consumer patterns may not be as conducive to that - who knows?

Disney supposedly got it for $4 when it was “worth” 6 or 8...who knows now?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Not a chance of spin-off, the IP alone is worth more to Disney.

So what I could see happen if things completely bottom out in the live-action films is that they shelve the films, shutter the Studio, and just produce series for Disney+ and cartoons for Disney Channel and Disney XD. And then do more work for other studios with ILM.

But no way would Disney let go of the IP itself, it stays.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So what I could see happen if things completely bottom out in the live-action films is that they shelve the films, shutter the Studio, and just produce series for Disney+ and cartoons for Disney Channel and Disney XD. And then do more work for other studios with ILM.
...I can’t imagine what that would look like...please let me know when we get there😐

But no way would Disney let go of the IP itself, it stays.

So what Star Wars had going was a widespread, ultra loyal fan base that spread it to those around them - particularly new generations...and the ability to move massive quantities of licensed product. Most notably as it grew in lore from 1983-1999 in the developing digital age.

To not at least consider that those conditions have changed is very narrow minded.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
...I can’t imagine what that would look like...please let me know when we get there😐

So what Star Wars had going was a widespread, ultra loyal fan base that spread it to those around them - particularly new generations...and the ability to move massive quantities of licensed product. Most notably as it grew in lore from 1983-1999 in the developing digital age.

To not at least consider that those conditions have changed is very narrow minded.
Not sure any of what you posted has anything to do with what I posted, but ok...

Basically in my opinion the SW IP is too valuable to Disney to just sell or spin-off, even if the next 3 movies tank.

There is more to Disney's SW plan than just the theatrical release of films. So if the movies tank, they will just refocus the IP on the other parts of the business, such as the Disney+ streaming service and the Disney Channel and Disney XD side of things. Not to mention the parks.

So bottom line I don't see Disney willing to part with LucasFilms ever. They may shut down the studio, but they will never sell or spin-off that IP in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure any of what you posted has anything to do with what I posted, but ok...

Basically in my opinion the SW IP is too valuable to Disney to just sell or spin-off, even if the next 3 movies tank.

There is more to Disney's SW plan than just the theatrical release of films. So if the movies tank, they will just refocus the IP on the other parts of the business, such as the Disney+ streaming service and the Disney Channel and Disney XD side of things. Not to mention the parks.

So bottom line I don't see Disney willing to part with LucasFilms ever. They may shut down the studio, but they will never sell or spin-off that IP in my opinion.

So basically you’re saying that it’s so good no matter how much they fail to ever consider parting with it?

Ok...got it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom