Donald's Boat overhaul in Mickey's Toontown (now with poll)

Which overhaul to Donald's Boat do you prefer?

• Water spinner (Zamperla Water Mania)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Balloon swings (like Flik's Flyers/Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just leave as is (i.e., not much to do except go up top for a view)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mharrington

Original Poster
Here is the actual video on the history of Toontown:

Again, it's kind of a sad story how Toontown has seen better days. That's the reason I was thinking of moving some things around and creating actual rides: to try and make it more exciting again.

According to the video, in the case of Donald's Boat, the slide and the children's entrance to the upper deck were removed out of safety concerns. The spiral staircase and rope climb were also off limits, and eventually the spiral staircase, entrance and all, was removed altogether. Even the tugboat horn was turned off, allegedly from parents who complained about the noise. I'm pretty sure the boat steering wheel was removed as well.

The relocated boat would just be a queue for the spinning water ride up above. But again, the spinning ride sticks out into some backstage areas. Aren't they kind of important and becoming more at a premium now than ever before?

Last edited:

FigmentPigments

I've done a rethink. I'm thinking about reviving of a Donald ride and removing the boat. But this time, it will also entail the removal of Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse (which is really not all that great anyway). It's a spinning water ride, a copy of the Water Mania ride tech from Zamperla (I've used a ride called Captain's Sea Adventure from Drayton Manor in the UK). I'm sorry the quality is not very good. I was using PowerPoint and MS Paint:
View attachment 561609

The coaster will be intact, just rethemed. It might actually be an extension of Donald's property, possibly his garage or something.

The water ride itself sticks out into the backstage area a bit, however. I'm not too upset about the treehouse, but I am a little worried about sacrificing the backstage area there, especially since the water ride footprint is a lot bigger than I thought.

What do you think?
Sorry, I'm a little behind here, but the Donald wet ride is a circle but does it have to be? In order to stay out of the back stage area, could the footprint resemble more of a river shape so it can bend around locations you don't want to intrude into?

mharrington

Original Poster
Sorry, I'm a little behind here, but the Donald wet ride is a circle but does it have to be? In order to stay out of the back stage area, could the footprint resemble more of a river shape so it can bend around locations you don't want to intrude into?

What do you mean?

mharrington

Original Poster
Oh, and by the way, I've also thought of a swing balloon ride in the spot (like Filk's Flyers/Inside Out Emotional Whirl), which doesn't seem to take nearly as much space, according to Google Maps. Or maybe (though I don't know how big its footprint is), it could be a copy of Scuttle's Scooters at Tokyo DisneySea.

The main difference between this ride and the Inside Out ride could be you getting randomly squirted by fountains or something.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
I have uploaded a new image of the map with a balloon ride with Donald's Boat in front of it. It will be a replica of the Inside Out balloon ride (I will upload a new image later, but right now, I'm too tired to do it):
donald ride location.jpg

It apparently doesn't take quite as much space as even the spinning water ride. And anyway, if there can be four flying spinner rides at Walt Disney World, three in the Magic Kingdom (Dumbo, Aladdin's Carpets, Astro Orbiter) and the fourth in the Animal Kingdom (Triceratops Spin), then there's no reason not to have something like it in Disneyland. I would have actually gone with a flying spinner ride like Dumbo in that area, except the footprint is too small.

To differentiate this from the Inside Out ride, we can do the water effects here. It will be random, with no way to know if you will get doused. It will certainly provide a bit of relief on a hot day. Maybe the name could be Donald's Boat and Aquatic Airships or something. As for a Donald meet-n-greet, maybe it could be off to the side or something, possibly in that little spot next to Mickey's garage.

Anyway, the image is rather crude, but I will put up another one later.

mharrington

Original Poster
As promised, here is the better image, with the balloon ride instead of a water spinner:
donald ride location.jpg

It doesn't jut too far out into the backstage area, so that's a good thing. The boat will become a queue for the ride, and there will be the addition of a bathtub with a periscope in it, as seen in this video from the attraction in Tokyo:

Or it could be the soft foam pad surface to be used on the floor, like with the Toontown Fair boat. What do you think?

Keyblade Jedi

As promised, here is the better image, with the balloon ride instead of a water spinner:
View attachment 563409

It doesn't jut too far out into the backstage area, so that's a good thing. The boat will become a queue for the ride, and there will be the addition of a bathtub with a periscope in it, as seen in this video from the attraction in Tokyo:

Or it could be the soft foam pad surface to be used on the floor, like with the Toontown Fair boat. What do you think?

I Would Go with the Soft foam Pad idea from the Former Florida Version.

mharrington

Original Poster
I've thought of reviving the Dumbo concept yet again, albeit slightly smaller than usual. It will be the same Zamperla model as used in The Jetsons Cosmic Orbiter at WB World Abu Dhabi. The vehicles not only fly, but they can also spin for an extra thrill:

I just wish I could see it on a map, but it's all enclosed, so I can't be certain. But not only would there be spinning on the vehicles, but there might some squirting water guns for non-riders to fire at those on the ride. It could be themed to planes, or maybe seaplanes in keeping with Donald's Boat being the queue. The ride name could be "Donald's Spinning Seaplanes" or something if we went this way. I just wish I could see the Jetsons ride from Google Maps, so I can approximate its footprint, because most Zamperla Aero Top Jets are fairly simple, for kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom