Donald Duck's 2nd 100mile Ultra Report

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Hey folks. It's that time again, to punish the crap out of my body! (literally too :hurl:)

Preface for the newbs:
I'm Nick, aka Donald Duck, aka The Machine (dubbed by Coryna and Joel :wave:) )
I'm 31, live on the beach in Jersey, and I'm an ultra distance runner.
Last year, 2011, I ran the NJ Ultra 100 miler, and unfortunately, I DNFd at just over 50 miles due to a partially torn ligament. It didn't really hurt, but I couldn't move my leg. Anyway, I pulled out of the race, and that DNF has been the thorn in my side for a year. So, regardless of injury, pain, time, work, sleep, etc...I followed an intense / overkill training schedule that had me logging 130, 140, and 150 mile weeks with two days off (160 one week). I'm able to run a 9:30 pace, for 30 plus miles, for 8 consecutive days. I can go and run a 10:00 pace 50-60 miles on Saturday, loaded with 35 pounds of gear, food and water like it's a morning jog, and still run 26 miles the next day. I can shut pain off. But, when it comes to 100 mile ultras, none of that crap matters because ANYTHING can happen, and probably will. Unlike the wonderful WDW marathons, and most regular marathons, there are people around to cheer you on, and it feels good. Not at ultras. Everyone is humble because they know the punishment that is about to come is going to hurt like hell. No one cheering. No one out on the trail except you and your head, and it's freaking hard. You can all read my "What did you do?" posts, but it does no justice to the hard work and pain I've endured. When I crawl across that finish line in the dark, wreaking, sleep deprived, possibly puking, and completely numb because the pain is so bad it won't even register, it won't mean s___t to anyone except me, no one else. And as I'm icing and drinking my recovery drink and beer, I'll be thinking about the 100 miler I have in September, the handful of 100k and 50 milers I have in April, and the 500 miler I have early next year :eek:
Cheers folks.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Now that's out of the way, I ran my last long run this morning before the race on Saturday. I got a text from Joel checking in on me (which was super nice), and I told him that my pre-race nerves were already starting.

I'll be heading up to the race the night before to pick up my bib#, and SWAG, and I'm camping out in my car. I have a Honda Element (yes, that is black too :D) so it turns into a mini-camping unit. My crew; which consists, of my wonderful wife Alison and her cousin Melissa, will head up race morning. Alison is in charge of my nutrition and medical stuff as well as reporting my progress on this thread everytime I pass through the checkpoints, so you'll be able to see my decline in real-time! Melissa is in charge of clothing changes, pictures/video, and rolling/massaging at the 50 mile mark (carrying that much gear hurts).

I just want to finish which will get me a bronze buckle. I would like to sub
24hrs for the silver buckle. I will try for the sub 20hr gold buckle, but I'll see how I'm doing at mile 50, since the race doesn't really begin until mile 60.

I'll be posting pics and video on FB after the race. Hope to see you there Coryna!

Remember, when you wake up on Saturday morning and look at your clock and it reads 7:00am, I've just begun. When you're having lunch, I'll still be running. When you are having dinner with your family, friends, or loved one, I'll still be running. When you go to your comfy bed Saturday night, yes, I'll still be running. And when you wake up early Sunday morning, hopefuly, I'll be sitting in a chair, drinking a beer, with bloody feet and puke caked in my beard :D
Run, shuffle or crawl, I'll see you on the other side...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
That a boy Nick. We are all cheering for you, you crazy B. Ill be checking in on Saturday too. Next year, Im going to figure out a way to have a mini web cam and solar power hook up so we can all run with you. That would be really funny till the first time you puked, ______'d or stopped int the port-o-potty.... but Im still game to figure out a way.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
That a boy Nick. We are all cheering for you, you crazy B. Ill be checking in on Saturday too. Next year, Im going to figure out a way to have a mini web cam and solar power hook up so we can all run with you. That would be really funny till the first time you puked, ______'d or stopped int the port-o-potty.... but Im still game to figure out a way.

For sure! I actually had my 305 hooked up to a solar charger and a solar charger booster, but it was taking too long to charge and the weight of both units on my pack as i ran was too much. Went back to my old battery pack set-up, and a Seal Line pouch in case it rains, which it might according to the forecast.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Correction on my first post about that September 100 miler this year, it's actually August: Beast of Burden 100 miler in NY.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Holy hell. :eek: I walk/jog 2 miles and feel like I am a few minutes away from death. What you accomplish (and keep coming back for more of) is completely unfathomable for me. I didn't even know such events existed. Where does one even find 100 miles of run-able space in NJ? :lol:

Best of luck on Saturday and I can't wait to read all the updates. :wave:

fmingo36

Now that's out of the way, I ran my last long run this morning before the race on Saturday. I got a text from Joel checking in on me (which was super nice), and I told him that my pre-race nerves were already starting.

I'll be heading up to the race the night before to pick up my bib#, and SWAG, and I'm camping out in my car. I have a Honda Element (yes, that is black too :D) so it turns into a mini-camping unit. My crew; which consists, of my wonderful wife Alison and her cousin Melissa, will head up race morning. Alison is in charge of my nutrition and medical stuff as well as reporting my progress on this thread everytime I pass through the checkpoints, so you'll be able to see my decline in real-time! Melissa is in charge of clothing changes, pictures/video, and rolling/massaging at the 50 mile mark (carrying that much gear hurts).

I just want to finish which will get me a bronze buckle. I would like to sub
24hrs for the silver buckle. I will try for the sub 20hr gold buckle, but I'll see how I'm doing at mile 50, since the race doesn't really begin until mile 60.

I'll be posting pics and video on FB after the race. Hope to see you there Coryna!

Remember, when you wake up on Saturday morning and look at your clock and it reads 7:00am, I've just begun. When you're having lunch, I'll still be running. When you are having dinner with your family, friends, or loved one, I'll still be running. When you go to your comfy bed Saturday night, yes, I'll still be running. And when you wake up early Sunday morning, hopefuly, I'll be sitting in a chair, drinking a beer, with bloody feet and puke caked in my beard :D

I have every intention of getting up there in the afternoon. If you can send me general directions and Alison's phone number. Also make sure she has my number so if you need anything she can text me and I'll bring up with me.
Enjoy the week and try not to stress about the race too (I know easier said then done). See you Saturday!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Holy hell. :eek: I walk/jog 2 miles and feel like I am a few minutes away from death. What you accomplish (and keep coming back for more of) is completely unfathomable for me. I didn't even know such events existed. Where does one even find 100 miles of run-able space in NJ? :lol:

Go to www.ultrarunning.com for an intro. Ultras are nothing like marathons...more beer, more pain, more bad jokes, more food, more humble, less pretentious :D

This one is up in Sussex. Last year it was in Long Valley. Also check out NJ trail series, you might want to get into some trailrunning at some point. And thanks :wave:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
I have every intention of getting up there in the afternoon. If you can send me general directions and Alison's phone number. Also make sure she has my number so if you need anything she can text me and I'll bring up with me.
Enjoy the week and try not to stress about the race too (I know easier said then done). See you Saturday!

Will do, thanks Coryna!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster

Hey, you're only in Freehold, that's really close to me, if you just take 34 south or 33 east to the beach. We should run one day :sohappy:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
break a leg :wave:
:lol:

I really spit when I read this Doug.

Web Cam. Coming in August. Nick and I are on it. I need one of those lipstick cameras... maybe a special ops camera from a military supply store. With that said, you would have to carry some sort of transmitter/PC to send off the signal. Hmmm, might be a deal breaker.

fractal

Good luck! The amount of running you do is beyond my comprehension.

I have a buddy that runs 50 mile races and I thought that was insane.

plaz10

Good Luck, Nick! You'll do great! I actually have to work this Saturday - so it's possible I'd rather be running.

JillC LI

Remember, when you wake up on Saturday morning and look at your clock and it reads 7:00am, I've just begun. When you're having lunch, I'll still be running. When you are having dinner with your family, friends, or loved one, I'll still be running. When you go to your comfy bed Saturday night, yes, I'll still be running. FREAKIN' UNFATHOMABLE! And when you wake up early Sunday morning, hopefuly, I'll be sitting in a chair, drinking a beer, with bloody feet and puke caked in my beard :D

You're gonna do it this time Nick. We all have faith in you. You inspire us.

break a leg :wave:

Always a comedian in every bunch! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom