Dolphins at The Seas w/ Nemo & Friends

champdisney

Original Poster
What’s up everyone and Happy 1st of March. Already on the third month of 2021 and I believe this year is already on the midst of steamrolling by. Crazy ain’t it? Anyway, I have a question for anyone who may know. I was at EPCOT two days ago and I spent a good amount of time at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. I love the ocean and all of its creatures, needless to say it’s not often that I am able to really enjoy this pavilion in all of its glory. This time was different.

This time I made sure to take it slow and bask in this small but excellent aquarium. An aquarium Disney built and has yet to construct another. One of the sea creatures I was most looking forward to seeing was their Bottlenose dolphins. I love dolphins and from time to time I’ll venture out to see them either in action at my hometown aquarium (Miami Seaquarium) or going to the beaches of Naples or Marco Island.

This time around, inside The Seas with Nemo & Friends, there was not one dolphin in sight. As a matter of fact, I can’t recall when was the last time I’ve seen any dolphins there and if I did, I would be lying. Does anyone know what’s the deal here? Are the dolphins still there? I’m guessing, they’re in captivity somewhere within the pavilion but kept away from guests view.

I’m not sure. I tried doing some research on it. All I was met with was Dolphins in Depth temporarily unavailable. A result due to the pandemic, I’m sure. So that confirms that they’re still there. Still, I find it odd that even with the experience not available, they can still showcase these beauties, right? Or is it possible that they still have the dolphins swimming around for guests but during various times? Perhaps I missed them? Even if so, it’s not the first time I did. I don’t recall seeing dolphins at this pavilion in years.

Thank you in advance to whomever that knows!

NelleBelle

Maybe they were all backstage? I don't remember seeing them either, now that you mention it, although I'm sure they were there. I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for saying that I am not a fan of Disney keeping the larger mammals, like dolphins, in their aquarium.

champdisney

Original Poster
Maybe they were all backstage? I don't remember seeing them either, now that you mention it, although I'm sure they were there. I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for saying that I am not a fan of Disney keeping the larger mammals, like dolphins, in their aquarium.
There’s not really much of an alternative. These dolphins have been living in captivity for so long, that setting them free will be like sentencing them to death.

ppete1975

Now im curious. In all of Disneys years did they ever consider building a standalone aquarium or sea world type park. I could see them at some time in history with sea world being so huge at one point and marineland in california.

NelleBelle

It is a fact that the days of fascination with captive whales and dolphins are going away. More and more people are appreciating them free in their natural environment.
One of my favorite memories of Hawaii was when we did a kayak tour to the Capt. Cook monument and along the way, dolphins swam up to our kayaks in "investigate" us. We just sat and watched them swim around us. Seeing dolphins in the wild vs. captivity can't compare.

ppete1975

Dolphins are very hard to keep. Some places do it well, others have had horrible results.
in my state bringing dolphins was huge (everyone donated money, bumper stickers were everywhere)
"The Oklahoma City Zoo's now-shuttered dolphin exhibit is the only other facility with a higher death rate than Dolphinaris. Between 1986 and 2001, the zoo housed 10 dolphins. The exhibit closed after four animals died in two years"
then there is dolphinaris...

GimpYancIent

Now im curious. In all of Disneys years did they ever consider building a standalone aquarium or sea world type park. I could see them at some time in history with sea world being so huge at one point and marineland in california.
Surely a topic discussed at the upper corporate levels at one time. Key though is that Disney's forte is not in the real life aquatic world of entertainment.

champdisney

Original Poster
It is a fact that the days of fascination with captive whales and dolphins are going away. More and more people are appreciating them free in their natural environment.
Seeing dolphins in the wild vs. captivity can't compare.
This is true. Though I will not lie and pretend like I don’t mind seeing them in an aquarium if they offer them. Dolphins are beautiful and majestic. I appreciate and respect them greatly. While it is heartbreaking to see them living within the confines of a tank, you also have to think of them knowing nothing else but living within the confines of a tank. It’s a ruthless double edged sword. The only alternative is to implement what SeaWorld has promised, no more additions.

Witnessing a pod of dolphins playing freely in the wild is a beautiful thing to see and nothing beats that.

DoleWhipDrea

I can safely say that up through November last year they were swimming past tourists! Seeing the dolphins and other aquatic life there is one of my must-dos whenever I visit EPCOT, and my timing has generally been pretty good. I generally saw them around late afternoon/early evening.

Did you ask any of the CMs about them? They’re generally pretty open to talking to guests about the various animals and refer to them by name.

There’s also the possibility that the dolphins needed to recover from something backstage. Have you seen Disney+’s Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom? They don’t just show DAK but also The Seas at EPCOT, and the show goes quite a bit into this. Dolphins are very social, so if one wasn’t doing well but they weren’t in any danger from being around their buddy/buddies or potentially getting the others sick, it would be best to keep them together.

champdisney

Original Poster
I can safely say that up through November last year they were swimming past tourists! Seeing the dolphins and other aquatic life there is one of my must-dos whenever I visit EPCOT, and my timing has generally been pretty good. I generally saw them around late afternoon/early evening.

Did you ask any of the CMs about them? They’re generally pretty open to talking to guests about the various animals and refer to them by name.

There’s also the possibility that the dolphins needed to recover from something backstage. Have you seen Disney+’s Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom? They don’t just show DAK but also The Seas at EPCOT, and the show goes quite a bit into this. Dolphins are very social, so if one wasn’t doing well but they weren’t in any danger from being around their buddy/buddies or potentially getting the others sick, it would be best to keep them together.
No, I didn’t bother asking a cast member. There wasn’t much cast members around, to be honest. Up on the second floor, there was one cast member talking to a group of guests about the two manatees. After a few minutes of standing around, I was like “Eh... I’ll ask the experts online.😝

I have heard of this show but have yet to see it. I’ll make sure to check it out... today!

champdisney

Original Poster
When it was built, the Living Seas was the largest aquarium in the world. It's been surpassed by an aquarium in Atlanta, but still it is in no way "small".
I guess it’s in the matter of perception. I visited Aquarium by Landry’s in Denver last year and I viewed that as being significantly bigger than The Seas.

I could be wrong but it’s the way I experienced it.

ppete1975

I guess it’s in the matter of perception. I visited Aquarium by Landry’s in Denver last year and I viewed that as being significantly bigger than The Seas.

living seas is a huge aquarium, but most of it is behind the scenes, the parts you see as a guest are a tiny amount. So by size it is, but to the guest it isnt. If i remember right.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

The Denver aquarium is quite smaller, all tanks combined are only a million gallons. The Seas is 5.7 million gallons, the Atlanta Aquarium is 10 million gallons and the Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, Hengqin China has the largest single tank (they dont have a holding tank or filter facility).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom