Dolphin bites arm of 6-year-old boy at SeaWorld pool

napnet

Original Poster
I didn't know dolphins bit..

Orlando Dolphin bites arm of 6-year-old boy at SeaWorld pool

A juvenile dolphin may be heading back to school after biting a 6-year-old Georgia boy Sunday night at SeaWorld Orlando's dolphin-petting attraction, Dolphin Cove.

The dolphin emerged from the pool and grabbed Brandon Jackson's left arm, though its teeth didn't break the child's skin, his mother, Brenda Harris of Valdosta, Ga., said Tuesday. She said she had to beat on the animal's snout until it let go.

SeaWorld spokeswoman Becca Bides said the dolphin would be watched and might be retrained in a "behavioral-modification" program, normal for what she called a "rare" and minor incident.

The family was given a private dolphin viewing and was offered four tickets for a return visit.

"He's got a bruised arm. He's going to be fine," Harris said. "He doesn't want to see dolphins anymore."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-mcfbriefs02_306aug02,0,2622835.story?track=rss

cmatt

in all fairness if i had some greasy slimey spoilt 7 year old harrassing me for attention day in day out - id get a bit ed off too... i think that attraction is disgusting and vile to be honest. The animal was most likely stressed hence why it reacted in such away - it was just telling the kid to leave it alone.

rant over :)

barnum42

meryll83 said:
eek!
I didn't think they bit either!
Depends if they have been given cause to or not.

It's possible a petty child could behave in a less than delicate / teasing manner around an animal, then suffer the consequences.

Tramp

We were at SeaWorld just about a week ago and those petting events are less than organized. People buy fish and then feed them to the dolphins while photographers take your picture that you can later buy. I won't say it's a shark feeding frenzy but when people have their hands in the water and others are holding fish out, it wouldn't surprise me if a dolphin mistakenly grabbed hold of a hand or arm. I'm glad the kid is ok.

I have to say that our visit to SeaWorld was definitely one of the highlights of our vacation this year.

tenchu

This happened to me once.

You wouldn't believe the fuss they made over that one little bite I gave the kid.

:brick:

Figment1986

Nemo14 said:
Is that where you pay to feed the dolphins?
A juvenile dolphin may be heading back to school after biting a 6-year-old Georgia boy Sunday night at SeaWorld Orlando's dolphin-petting attraction, Dolphin Cove.

It appears to be near where you swim with the dolphins, in Discovery cove.. Which i dont really know much about actually...

But this was not with the dolphins in Sea World Orlando's Key West area... unless the article said the wrong park.....

TwoTigersMom

One of the dolphins had my son's whole arm in his mouth when we fed them. My son was 2 and a half at the time. The dolphin wasn't being malicious or anything it just misjudged the distance between himself and the fish in my son's hand. He left a couple of small bruises, but it was no big deal. It's one of the few things my son still remembers about the trip. Not in a bad way either! He still LOVES dolphins.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Dolphins = Smart Carnivore.
Shark = Stupid Carnivore.

As a diver, I'd rather be close to a shark than to a dolphin.

Nemo14

HagansMommie said:
One of the dolphins had my son's whole arm in his mouth when we fed them. My son was 2 and a half at the time. The dolphin wasn't being malicious or anything it just misjudged the distance between himself and the fish in my son's hand. He left a couple of small bruises, but it was no big deal. It's one of the few things my son still remembers about the trip. Not in a bad way either! He still LOVES dolphins.
...and you didn't sue? :lookaroun

:lol:

TwoTigersMom

Nemo14 said:
...and you didn't sue? :lookaroun

:lol:
Nope and had no thoughts of it, I think I even have a picture of it somewhere around here. DH was holding my son and I was snapping pictures. I'll look for it and post it when I find it.

Nemo14

HagansMommie said:
Nope and had no thoughts of it, I think I even have a picture of it somewhere around here. DH was holding my son and I was snapping pictures. I'll look for it and post it when I find it.
I hope you know I was kidding. It seems that people sue over anything now- just a joke -
really-
don't sue me!

TwoTigersMom

Nemo14 said:
I hope you know I was kidding. It seems that people sue over anything now- just a joke -
really-
don't sue me!

Oh yea I knew you were joking.:lol: I agree people are way to sue happy. It's absolutely rediculous, the things people sue over.....and actually win.
I looked through my photos and couldn't find it. It must have been on the video. I have to admit, at first I was scared, but once I saw he was fine (he was laughing about it) then it was no big deal at all. He kept telling everyone "I'm a dawpin twainer! I put my hand in his mouf!"

CatLady

It amazes me that people think that it's totally safe to feed any animal, let alone a 600 lb. animal. Anything with a mouth can bite. My cat bit me last night. Should I sue myself?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom