Dollywood, Smoky Mountains National Park and Gatlinburg being evacuated

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster

Disneyhead'71

How horrible. This is a really busy time for that area and the road system isn't capable of handling regular traffic. An evacuation has to be a nightmare. I hope everyone gets out safe. A fast moving wild fire and gridlock traffic is a horrific possibility.

Disneyhead'71

https://www.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainsNPS/?fref=ts

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is posting updates. Currently reporting over 1000 people are in Red Cross Shelters.

Fires have reached the edge of Dollywood property. The Ripley's Aquarium Staff was forced to evacuated and are worried about all the animals they had to leave behind. Several Resorts are thought to be destroyed.
Ripley's Aquarium is right downtown. This is bad. Really bad.

Disneyhead'71

Nemo14

I hope they are all safe. My aunt lived and worked in the area for a long time, I know she is worried sick for her friends as well.
I heard from my friend this morning - he stayed in Knoxville last night, so he's safe. My heart aches for all the devastation and chaos to such a beautiful part of the country, and all the heartache to those dealing with all this.

Nemo14

Not to downplay the toll on the human population there, but this photo just breaks my heart.
CycTtWdUoAQ2T_M.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is really sad. This is our next favorite place to go after Disney. Some of the friendliest down to earth grateful people i have ever met in my life. Will definitely keep them in my prayers.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Latest update was over 14,000 people evacuated and 250 buildings distroyed or damaged.

They also said the worst seems to be over for Gaitlinburg but the fires are not all out.

champdisney

Man, this is tough. I vacationed in the Smoky Mountains cabins of Gatlinburg in the summer of 2010. I've been to Dollywood and all of the Ripley attractions. I'm happy that the animals in the aquarium weren't harmed from this fire. My deepest regrets for those who were harmed or had their businesses destroyed.

Lucky

I got this e-mail from a hotel I stayed at a couple of years ago...

A Message from Your Friends in Pigeon Forge

We are grateful for your continued outpouring of concern for our residents, our visitors and our city. While the past week has been a trying one, Pigeon Forge and our neighboring cities are committed to sustaining our businesses. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Many of you have kindly asked how you can help. In the words of Gatlinburg Mayor Mike Werner, who lost his home and business in the fire, "If you really want to do something for Gatlinburg, come back and visit us.” Tourism is our lifeblood, and we, like our neighboring city, need your help to sustain our businesses and to ensure folks have jobs. Your visitation makes that possible.

Pigeon Forge businesses were not damaged during the fires; our city’s businesses are operating as usual. Pigeon Forge’s Winterfest festival continues, including Christmas shows at various theaters. Dollywood theme park is open, and restaurants and lodging properties are operating on normal schedules.

Many of you have visited with us year after year, and we consider you a part of our community. Now, more than ever, we need our community to pull together and help our businesses move forward. If you have a reservation, please don’t cancel. Come see us. When you make your spring break plans, come see us. If you want to support and help the city of Pigeon Forge—come see us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom