Dogs at Parks and Disney Springs

pbrsaau

Original Poster
We were at the World all last week and I was surprised to see quite a few folks with their dogs on leashes at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Springs. A couple were clearly service dogs with their 'service dog' vest on. There was a few - most at Disney Springs - that were not service dogs. Small chihuahuas or the like. Is this a 'thing' to bring your dog to the park now? I can't wrap my head around why you would have a dog at the park. You can't go on rides or in attractions. I would think stores and restaurants would be off limits unless it is a service dog, no?

I know some of the resorts allow dogs now in rooms, but in the Parks and Disney Springs too?

Bronson55

Disney Springs is neither a resort nor a park. Many locals pop in to shop or get a bite to eat. I can't speak for dogs on leashes that aren't labeled as service dogs in MK and Epcot. Yes, I know based on these forums that there are tons and tons of fake service dogs running around the parks. Not my debate, just suggesting that Disney Springs while mostly attended by tourists does not require an admissions ticket and is frequented by locals.

21stamps

I think you’ll find dogs at many outdoor shopping/dining areas, that’s been a thing for many years now.. but, I have no idea if Disney Springs allows all dogs or only service animals.

Bronson55

I think you’ll find dogs at many outdoor shopping/dining areas, that’s been a thing for many years now.. but, I have no idea if Disney Springs allows all dogs or only service animals.
After reading your note I did some checking and my assumption in my original post was incorrect on the Disney Springs area. Per Disney only service dogs are permitted in Disney Springs along with the actual parks of course.

KBLovedDisney

I take my poodles to the parks all the time. It’s great!
Hi Susan!
Bean-The-Ultimate-Disaster-Waving.gif

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We were at the World all last week and I was surprised to see quite a few folks with their dogs on leashes at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Springs. A couple were clearly service dogs with their 'service dog' vest on. There was a few - most at Disney Springs - that were not service dogs. Small chihuahuas or the like. Is this a 'thing' to bring your dog to the park now? I can't wrap my head around why you would have a dog at the park. You can't go on rides or in attractions. I would think stores and restaurants would be off limits unless it is a service dog, no?

I know some of the resorts allow dogs now in rooms, but in the Parks and Disney Springs too?
Its pretty much a thing everywhere. Home Depot, airport, breakfast area at Residence Inn mesa Az.

People just cant cope without their companion right by their side tripping others with their leashes

KBLovedDisney

Its pretty much a thing everywhere. Home Depot, airport, breakfast area at Residence Inn mesa Az.

People just cant cope without their companion right by their side tripping others with their leashes
Next thing you know will be the fashion industry hitting up the idea of being able to always "carry" your emotional support companion with you and will consequently make different shaped clear pvc purses and bags that are made with extra layers so that you can also carry along your favorite fish.:rolleyes:

"Aquarium purses, now to go with those mermaid outfits"

JIMINYCR

Its gotten sooo out of hand. Unfortunately theres nothing happening to get proper regulations stopping it. Its not only dogs....In our city hospital where we volunteer and are involved in pet therapy visits and DW serves on the patient advisory board, along with other committees, patients have tried to bring in a " service" rooster, "service" pot bellied pig, and a "service" hamster. Just say you have a problem with anxiety and you can justify having a need.

KBLovedDisney

Its gotten sooo out of hand. Unfortunately theres nothing happening to get proper regulations stopping it. Its not only dogs....In our city hospital where we volunteer and are involved in pet therapy visits and DW serves on the patient advisory board, along with other committees, patients have tried to bring in a " service" rooster, "service" pot bellied pig, and a "service" hamster. Just say you have a problem with anxiety and you can justify having a need.
Why do they have to use live animals though? What is the backstory to that for people with anxiety? I have anxiety (at times very high) and PTSD, but don't want to harbor an animal to be a comfort all day long. I listen to music, have stress objects on my work desk (fidget cubes, fidget spinners, etc.) and they also make animated fake stuffed animals that a person could get, like the one I eventually want to get which is the Sleeping Cat.

Wouldn't an animal for anxiety be considered more for Emotional Support and not Service though?

JIMINYCR

Why do they have to use live animals though? What is the backstory to that for people with anxiety? I have anxiety (at times very high) and PTSD, but don't want to harbor an animal to be a comfort all day long. I listen to music, have stress objects on my work desk (fidget cubes, fidget spinners, etc.) and they also make animated fake stuffed animals that a person could get, like the one I eventually want to get which is the Sleeping Cat.

Wouldn't an animal for anxiety be considered more for Emotional Support and not Service though?

The law is specific in what constitutes a service animal. But because a long time ago there were many Drs who were ignorant of the ADA laws and just felt having an animal could help their patients with anxiety, they got them to believe they could just get a pet and its an instant service animal. They saw service dogs in the community working, didnt know the law or cared to find out what the ADA regulations were, and just continued to write up scripts for a "service animal" for their patients. Now everybody takes advantage of the lack of enforcement of the laws and brings their pets everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom