Does Universal's new add insinuate Spiderman is in all their resorts?

seascape

Original Poster
I just saw the new Universal TV spot and it advertised for Florida and California. The interesting thing is that Spiderman is in it! That could be a violation of the contract because they don't have the rights to Spiderman in California and can't imply they do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just saw the new Universal TV spot and it advertised for Florida and California. The interesting thing is that Spiderman is in it! That could be a violation of the contract because they don't have the rights to Spiderman in California and can't imply they do.

I would have to see the actual advertisement to make a judgment. Even if it does, it's not likely to become a major issue, worst case Disney/Marvel will just ask them to change the ad.

seascape

Original Poster
I did find this ad for both resorts showing the Spiderman ride. It does have legal text crediting Marvel at the end so I doubt this is in violation of anything.

I will say I love the direct swipe at Disney in the part at 0:10.

I agree with the swipe at Disney, it's clearly going after older girls who used to be a Disney Princess. However, the crediting Marvel for the use of Spiderman is not the same as saying they allowed the use of Spiderman to be used in a commercial that included Universal Hollywood. I have to think that Universal went too far on that. Time will tell if they did.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree with the swipe at Disney, it's clearly going after older girls who used to be a Disney Princess. However, the crediting Marvel for the use of Spiderman is not the same as saying they allowed the use of Spiderman to be used in a commercial that included Universal Hollywood. I have to think that Universal went too far on that. Time will tell if they did.

My point was, that since the credit is in there, this probably signed off by the legal department and possibly even cleared through Marvel. Again, this isn't a big deal. It's either ok, or if it's not it will be fixed and that will be the end of it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
You're never too old to be a Disney princess!

rushtest4echo

^ Some people think they're too old to be a Disney princess during their teenage years. Universal has always targeted that demographic primarily.

Under 12: You're at Disney
Teenage Years: You hate Disney (well I didn't and I'm sure most here didn't but it seems to be a prevailing attitude in general).
Young Adult with kids under 12: You're at Disney
Older adult with teenagers: You wish you were at Disney, but your teenagers want Universal
Older adult after kids have moved out: Back to Disney for the rest of your life

JT3000

We're doing this again? You know what, I'm going to petition Universal to give all Marvel rights back to Disney, free of charge. Not because it's what's good for business, but because I won't need any more Aspirin after reading this forum.

rogerrabbitfan9

Spiderman is only in the one part where they are showing the Spiderman ride, in a section of the ad where they are showing a number of different rides at each of the parks. I have a hard time seeing how this wouldn't be ok.

Bob Harlem

The Marvel contract with Universal requires that Marvel Superhero island be advertised, so it's a bit of an oddity, Universal is actually following the requirements of the contract. (And are probably using that itself as a dig at Disney)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Spiderman is only in the one part where they are showing the Spiderman ride, in a section of the ad where they are showing a number of different rides at each of the parks. I have a hard time seeing how this wouldn't be ok.

I believe everything shown in the video is from Orlando, the only part that references Hollywood is the title card at the end.

AndyS2992

The Hulk coaster which is also Orlando exclusive is in there but really dont think it is an issue. Disneyland Paris ads here in the UK often use snippets from WDW and California all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom