Does the sword ever come out of the stone?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
At one time they did a show around the sword and a kid would be chosen to pull the sword from the stone. That show went the way of the dinosaur several years ago and the sword has remained in place ever since.

JiminyandTink

Yes, I did witness a small boy (about 5 yrs old) pull it out immediately after I tried in 2007. Although the sword only comes about 70% of the way out and the tip remains in the stone. I actually spotted the CM who was opperating it in plain clothes. Actually the CM saw that I saw them controlling it (out of what looked to be a briefcase or something) and they just gave me a smile.

WDWmazprty

ummm - you want a tourist running around MK with a three foot long, double edged sword? Now THAT'S a FastPass :)

I will get on Splash Mountain NOOOOW!!!

samurai_swords.gif

hpyhnt 1000

I saw a kid do it this past October. So I guess they still randomly do it.

Hm, so if they are still doing it, its probably not as random as we all might think; you probably just have to be lucky enough to be standing within the vicinity when the CM is out and about. :shrug:

Disney05

It's the first time we ever saw it. Never knew there was this "show" around it until this CM started talking. There were two cm's. One who lead the whole thing and another (spoiler)..........................that had a bag slung over his shoulder with his hand in it who stood kind of in the back. They picked out a small kid and did this bit about him pulling the sword out of the stone. Cute effect. Fun to watch people try to pull out the sword afterwards.

TP2000

It used to...Now it's just a little fun photo opp.:(

How odd. At Disneyland they have a show they do five or six times per day with Merlin picking an adult and a child to participate. They've been doing that since the Fantasyland remodel in 1983. I just saw the show last weekend and it's still adorable and quite funny.

Here's the end of the Sword In The Stone Show at Disneyland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5EWnoGzoF4&feature=related

Rob562

How odd. At Disneyland they have a show they do five or six times per day with Merlin picking an adult and a child to participate. They've been doing that since the Fantasyland remodel in 1983. I just saw the show last weekend and it's still adorable and quite funny.

Here's the end of the Sword In The Stone Show at Disneyland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5EWnoGzoF4&feature=related

The MK used to have a similar show, but it was discontinued a few years ago. (Budget cutbacks, most likely).

Now it's probably just something that area managers decide to do as an impromptu "magical moment" kind of thing.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

The MK used to have a similar show, but it was discontinued a few years ago. (Budget cutbacks, most likely).

Now it's probably just something that area managers decide to do as an impromptu "magical moment" kind of thing.

-Rob
you're probably right (budget cuts), but the official line was that it created too much of a crowd in an already cramped Fantasyland...which I agree with, but it was definitely one of those little pieces of the magic that has since faded away...

Phonedave

I saw a kid do it this past October. So I guess they still randomly do it.

Do they still give out the ruler of the kingdom medals like they did with the merlin show, or is it just the kid get to see the sword rise and then thats it.

I have one of those medals around here somewhere.

-dave

disneykw

In case anyone was wondering, I work at Fland so I think I can answer. During the Year of a Million Dreams, they used to have a position called DreamMaker where all this cast member does is walk around and create Magical Moments. I think they used to do this at Stone, Dumbo, Pan, Small World, Carousel, maybe Snow? I'm not sure if they still have the position, I'm pretty sure they don't, but I haven't worked recently so I can't be sure. I thought it was a good idea.:shrug:

disneykw

Well now I'm all curious... what else does a "DreamMaker" do? Sounds like a super fun job, especially operating the sword covertly.

Hmm... From the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Carousel - Honorary Prince or Princess of the Day with Special Sticker - Announcement to everyone waiting in the queue - He/She gets to ride Cinderella's Horse

Small World - A randomly chosen kid with family will get to go to the Small World operating console and help the CM wave to the guests departing in the boats below. Then they'll get to go right on without waiting.

Peter Pan - The kid swears some oath to become a member of Neverland (or something) and they get to go right on - No wait

Philharmagic - In the pre-show waiting area - a kid and family is given a chance to play music (make some noise) to the people waiting - Like banging cymbals and hitting drums and stuff

Dumbo - The kid gets some card - Frequent Flyer Card or something and he gets to go on - no wait

Not sure what the other attractions did

In addition to the Sword in the Stone position

-It was a lot of fluff, but if the cast member's really good, yeah, it'd make a Magical Moment for the guest

TP2000

but the official line was that it created too much of a crowd in an already cramped Fantasyland...which I agree with, but it was definitely one of those little pieces of the magic that has since faded away...

Well, that's a really bogus "official line". Magic Kingdom is HUGE compared to Disneyland with massive walkways and giant common areas and not as many rides as Disneyland spread over a bigger area. Disneyland is on a smaller piece of property with a lot more rides crammed into that smaller space, especially in Fantasyland.

But Disneyland still does the Merlin show several times per day. And yes, on busy weekends it can get hectic and crowded in there between Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Pinnochio's Daring Journey, but it's still fun and it really jazzes up the central plaza of Fantasyland around the King Arthur Carousel.

I find it hilarious and yet sad that the excuse "there's not enough space" is being used for a theme park that prides itself on being so much "bigger" than it's cousin in California. :lol:

JCtheparrothead

I have a short video of someone doing it last December (i will post it when i get home from vacation) but there is some on youtube. It was for kids only and it looked like it was put on by members of the PRIZE PATROL because after, the child and his family got a pin from them. It does not come all the way out thought, only about 2/3 of the way.a

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom