Does how long you've been visiting WDW effect preception of it's current state?

DVC4bestvacations

Original Poster
I think us old timers that visited WDW in the 70's as an adult. Have a different take on it's current state than someone that visited after '95 as an adult.

My first time in WDW was May of '79 (age 20). A friend and I drove down from NJ. Stayed 5 nights in Daytona Beach. We drove to WDW 2 of the days and went to MK. (I4 was not the nightmare it is today) The whole trip gas,lodging, food, & park passes cost $1500 for the two of us. That included a day at Bush Gardens Williamsburg on the way home.

For myself what has changed since 1979.

Back in '79 the main attractions were Space Mountain, Pirates, IASW, & the Haunted Mansion. The waits were a hour minimum each. These days you couldn't get me to wait a hour for any attraction.

Back in those days Disney didn't need to employ as many cast members. They had a hiring profile that called for kid with an "All American" look and Disney personality. Today with so many positions to fill that profile has gone out the window. Before you flame me. Many of the current CM work at WDW because the want to be part of the magic. To the average CM it's just a job.

Characters walked the park "randomly". Today they are treated like an attraction with a que and FP's available. Although I understand the appeal personally I wouldn't wait more than 5 mins for a photo op with my favorite character. I'm sure the meet and greets came to be as a way to keep the characters safe. The park guests of the 70's were much more user friendly than the current model.

In July of '83 I did a solo trip. 3 days in WDW. My first visit to EPCOT. I must have road the World of Motion and Horizons 10 times each over the three days. Adult beverages weren't the main attraction of the world showcase. Comunicore E&W were filled with displays and attractions that were state of the art. As technology changed Disney tried to keep up with Walt's dream of an ever changing future world of EPCOT. They have fallen short of late.

'89 Now married we stayed at the new Caribbean Beach Resort (7 night package w/hoppers $2000+airfare). MGM had just opened as a working film studio. There were actual attractions related to motion picture production & animation. Now not at all. DHS has been over run by Star Wars. I understand why Disney has banked on the Star Wars franchise. As a fan my fear is that they will beat the franchise to death.

How I've changed since '79
Married in 87 DS born in 93 DD in 96 DVC member '00

There are days that sitting by the pool sounds better than going to a park.
My room account at the end of 7 nights is more than I would spend for a package at WDW in '89. Mostly due to the cost of dinning.
I avoid long lines
Hate the need to make plans 90 days in advance. For that reason FP+ and I have a love hate relationship. For last years Christmas trip I had my DD schedule the FP's. She said it was more stressful than scheduling her college classes.
I don't make dinning plans more than a day or two in advance. We work with whats available.
We avoid signature dinning.
Rarely rope drop (I did for Flight of Passage in Nov.) In the passed we did half of the days.
I felt safer way back when then I do now that they have all the "security"
The cost of a Disney vacation has out paced my income.
Not sure I would have bought into the DVC if I had to do it again.
Lastly I have never been able to get over the Adventure's Club closing!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've been going since '78. Yes, I'm disappointed in all the changes, but I still manage to have good enough times there to keep me coming back. I have another trip set for next fall, and it will be my last until all the current construction and changes are done. For perspective, I cancelled planned trips in 2012 and 2014 to wait for the whole MDE/FP+/MB fiasco to settle down. I'm going to do the same thing for the next 4 or 5 years or so...after my current trip, and that's primarily to experience F&WF before Epcot becomes a year-round "Festival of the Week."

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I've been going since the 80s, and I only started noticing things changing for the worse around the same time they started cutting back on investments in the parks to fund the MM+ implementation.

BrerWayne

My first trip as a child was in 1974, my last trip was in August of this year. I do miss the Disney of old. I miss the spontaneity before the Fastpass system. I miss how some of the less popular attractions now have substantial lines because of Fastpass. I miss how there is no off season anymore. In the early 90’s I’d go in September or November and most attractions were walk one. That being said, I still love the place. I think my next trip I’d like to plan a weekend trip for just my wife and I for Food and Wine.

EricsBiscuit

My first trip was when I was 4 months. I've been going roughly once a week since. I didn't really start paying attention to the details until around 2010. I think WDW is on a huge upswing and in 2021 when all this construction is complete it will be the best it has ever been.

JIMINYCR

We've been visiting WDW since 1995. There have been many changes in the years since that first trip, some I've been excited about and welcomed and some I've been highly disappointed by. Looking back at anything, you tend to reflect on mostly good memories so I do think over the years comparisons will taint how you view modern day Disney. Negativity is warranted by the massively increased crowds, long lines, and the need to plan ADR's and FP so far in advance... those things never affected trips before. Having less character interactions and entertainment changes have lessened guest enjoyment and definitely altered guests enjoyment that needs to be addressed. The change in guests attitudes and how they treat others has altered not because of Disney as much as society norms have changed. Costs raising ... well that happens with everything and is expected when Disney adds on and the cost to do business increases. We all would all like to go back to 1970 prices, but knowing all things increase in cost we must budget better and save more to afford trips.
We are still going back and find enough enjoyment and value in a Disney trip to make it worthwhile doing. It is good to look back but reality is that nothing stays the same forever and you can still find some of the old Disney if you look for it.

KBLovedDisney

I don't think that it is only how long you been going, but also where you are at mentally age wise. (Please no offense given here, but this is just my observation)

As a kid, you perceive things at face value and don't look deep into something. Say a ride at Disney for example: when you are a kid, that ride is magical. You don't know what is going on, but it beats reality. There is nothing currently wrong in the world. Someone is taking pictures next to you? Who cares! This is awesome. Let's ride it again.

Jump ahead to your teens: Yeah, that ride was cool when I was a kid, but I am not really into that stuff anymore.

(this same thing happens when you mature and understand the world a little better as years go by)

Hate to say it, but like believing in Santa, some of the magic fades.

HOWEVER, TDC is also contributing to this as well. Don't get me wrong. I fully agree that they have changed things throughout the years that didn't need to be changed or updated but just kept up with.

R.I.P. Horizons

But I will also say that it seems like the older I get the different Disney message I receive. As a kid, it was a kid's escape. Now, as an adult (who is sometimes mentally an 11 year old kid) it can be hard to jump back to that kid-like escape when you are able to see a whole lot more reality around you and what is going on behind the scenes.

But this is just my two cents on it.

BrerWayne

I don't think that it is only how long you been going, but also where you are at mentally age wise. (Please no offense given here, but this is just my observation)

As a kid, you perceive things at face value and don't look deep into something. Say a ride at Disney for example: when you are a kid, that ride is magical. You don't know what is going on, but it beats reality. There is nothing currently wrong in the world. Someone is taking pictures next to you? Who cares! This is awesome. Let's ride it again.

Jump ahead to your teens: Yeah, that ride was cool when I was a kid, but I am not really into that stuff anymore.

(this same thing happens when you mature and understand the world a little better as years go by)

Hate to say it, but like believing in Santa, some of the magic fades.

HOWEVER, TDC is also contributing to this as well. Don't get me wrong. I fully agree that they have changed things throughout the years that didn't need to be changed or updated but just kept up with.

R.I.P. Horizons

But I will also say that it seems like the older I get the different Disney message I receive. As a kid, it was a kid's escape. Now, as an adult (who is sometimes mentally an 11 year old kid) it can be hard to jump back to that kid-like escape when you are able to see a whole lot more reality around you and what is going on behind the scenes.

But this is just my two cents on it.
I agree. When I was a child my parents wouldn’t pull me out of school to go to WDW. Therefore, we went in the summer. Was it hot? I’m sure. Was it crowded? I’m sure. But that’s not what I remember about those trips. I just remember how awesome WDW was and how much fun it was.

Disneyhead'71

I have been going to WDW since 1971. Modern Disney lacks the class and intellectual depth that the Disney of the '70s had. WDW is now slathered in crass shallowness. Once upon a time the parks were the product. Now the parks are just the lure to get the people in a place where they can sell you light up spinny toys and over priced condos.

Rumrunner

First trip was an an adult in 1976. It was overwhelming because I had never seen anything close to Disney in my life. I am still going-don't like many of the changes but have accepted them. Disney is still a magical place. I am just not a fan of Iger-his politics have been inserted with a heavy hand in much of Disney and the Disney culture.

OneofThree

My first trip was in 84'. I'm not sure anything I'd have to say hasn't been said before by others here, or elsewhere, so I'll just pass along one observation. I guess it must have been toward the late 90's, when what really struck me was the extent to which WDW's focus seemed to shift from depth and quality of experience to the maximization of profit per sq. ft. Whether food, drink, or trinkets, they seem to have carts set up everywhere trying to sell you something. It really hit me out in front of Pioneer Hall one time, because it's like it completely changed the whole vibe of that central hub the campground. Is WDW today, the quality of experience it was then relative to all other diversions/vacation options -not IMO. I will say however, that I'm happy the place still exists and thrives, which is likely due to some of these necessary, strategic evils.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom