Does Hard Rock provide more park/security benefits than the other deluxe hotels?

bobogator

Original Poster
Hello. Meeting some friends at UO and we're all staying on property. One of their friends is pushing them to stay at Hard Rock, saying it has "easier access" into the parks (e.g. faster security, closer, etc.?). My understanding is all the hotel water taxis drop off in the CityWalk lake and the bag check is at that dock, so everyone coming from a hotel via water taxi goes through the same security routine. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

JoeCamel

Thanks! We had reservations at Portofino...cancelled them after reserving the Hard Rock. Sigh
Hard Rock is closest to the studios park. A 5 minute walk with security near the park entrance that is never crowded. If you don't want to walk you can use the boats. Security is at the dock at the resort no matter which one you come from. There is a marginal benefit to stay there but not enough to change IMO. The "theme" of the hotel and price are how I choose which one to stay at. Getting back and forth is so trouble free it really is just a matter of where you want to lay your head. Portofino is a very nice hotel with several unique features.

lebeau

Hard Rock is closest to the studios park. A 5 minute walk with security near the park entrance that is never crowded. If you don't want to walk you can use the boats. Security is at the dock at the resort no matter which one you come from. There is a marginal benefit to stay there but not enough to change IMO. The "theme" of the hotel and price are how I choose which one to stay at. Getting back and forth is so trouble free it really is just a matter of where you want to lay your head. Portofino is a very nice hotel with several unique features.

I don't really think you can go wrong at the Universal deluxes, but there are small differences that may lead you to prefer one over another.

We loved our stay at Portofino. Royal Pacific was nice, but not as immersive. We were thinking about completing the trifecta by staying at Hard Rock next year, but I read that the pool there is very shallow. My girls spend a lot of time in the hotel pool and the oldest always wants to go into the deepest area. When I told her how shallow the pool at Hard Rock was, that was a deal-breaker for her.

I don't know if you are a park warrior or what your pace is but if you have the time and like pizza, antipasti etc. take the boat or walk over to the Portofino to check it out. Sort of in the middle there is a good pizza place with other options, good price, good food, outside tables. Have a meal and take a look around. The whole vibe is great. Hard Rock to me is an uncultured, loud cheezy place. All what you prefer. Of course, I don't think Orlando is the most cultured place in the world. LOL. Portofino is more my style.

Seconded on Sal's. Great pizza joint with reasonable (for Orlando) prices. It's esepecially convenient if you are staying at Portofino as you can call in your order ahead of time and they will let you know when you can pick it up. Or of course there's room service if you are feeling lazy, but I always enjoyed the short walk through the courtyard.

Go at night when the opera singer is out to get the full effect.

JoeCamel

We loved our stay at Portofino. Royal Pacific was nice, but not as immersive. We were thinking about completing the trifecta by staying at Hard Rock next year, but I read that the pool there is very shallow. My girls spend a lot of time in the hotel pool and the oldest always wants to go into the deepest area. When I told her how shallow the pool at Hard Rock was, that was a deal-breaker for her.

Did you tell her about the underwater music?

lebeau

Did you tell her about the underwater music?

I did not. I'll mention it but I don't see it changing her mind. We've done the underwater music thing at the Big Blue Pool at Art of Animation. It's a cool feature, but Josie wants deep water above all else.

JoeCamel

Hard Rock the security check is quicker than City Walk. And the boat lands you right near the gates as opposed to parking at the parking deck and then walking 5 football fields to get to the NBC City Walk area.
I will give you the walk is less but security at the rotunda is pretty fast and impressive with it's ability to eat the hordes coming out of the parking garages. The bag scanners make all the difference not to mention the many stations they operate during peak times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom