Does anyone remember the evening parade?

Goofyernmost

Still don't get the funeral march comparison.
I don't guess that those that didn't have it hit them that way, would ever understand. Suffice it to say the slow sad sounding march of, I assume, humans in the white face masks just depressed the hell out of me. All I could think of was death. I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, I hope, but, that is how I saw and felt it. I also think that a lot depends on which one was the first one that individuals see. My first exposure was to MSEP and I loved the Baroque Hoedown. I've already explained how I reacted to Spectro and was so happy when MSEP returned. It probably should be mentioned that I really am not a big fan of parades anyway, but, I much more approve of the upbeat sound of MSEP then the one projected by Spectro. That said, everyone has to follow their own path. You say potato and I say french fries. 🙂

brb1006

If they bring back some version it will be unacceptable to those of us who viewed the original many times. Somehow the imagineers fail to get the idea that 'a version' always disappoints. Just make a 'new' night time parade with lots of lights.
And not a cloned parade.

Heppenheimer

Spectro was THE. GREATEST. NIGHTTIME. PARADE. EVER. and with HEA clogging MSUSA and the Hub area, you will never again get a nighttime parade at MK.
HEA? I'm getting better at figuring out these abbreviations, but that one alludes me.

Main Street Electrical Parade = Pure Joy

Spectromagic = Majestic and Emotional.

Both had utterly unforgettable soundtracks.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
HEA? I'm getting better at figuring out these abbreviations, but that one alludes me.

Main Street Electrical Parade = Pure Joy

Spectromagic = Majestic and Emotional.

Both had utterly unforgettable soundtracks.

HEA is Happily Ever After the current firework show at Magic Kingdom.

Mickey5150

Honestly there is no reason for Disney to put a nighttime parade in the MK. It cant attract any more guests since the place is already packed. I'd love a parade to come back and shorten my lines but it would make no sense spending the money. Also Paint the Night is awesome but more a DCA or HS parade rather then a castle park as Marni mentioned.

The Empress Lilly

I have pictures camera dated August 2011 - - - Perhaps they brought back Spectro for a short run for the busy summer of 2011?
I was in the MK August 2011, MSEP ran.

Day parades are fun, Spectro is fun, but to me there is only one Disney parade: the Main Street Electrical Parade. Parades gain so much from darkness.

The Empress Lilly

Honestly there is no reason for Disney to put a nighttime parade in the MK. It cant attract any more guests since the place is already packed. I'd love a parade to come back and shorten my lines but it would make no sense spending the money.
Why internalise the nasty mean-spiritedness of TWDC?

Yes there is a reason to spend money on a nighttime parade: the park is full of guests, who paid up to $159 for a Disney experience. Many of whom remember this entails more than a hard liquor booth every twenty meters plus a limited edition Woody cupcake.

Lensman

Honestly there is no reason for Disney to put a nighttime parade in the MK. It cant attract any more guests since the place is already packed. I'd love a parade to come back and shorten my lines but it would make no sense spending the money. Also Paint the Night is awesome but more a DCA or HS parade rather then a castle park as Marni mentioned.
I don't think it's true that a parade doesn't improve a park's economic dynamics. Doesn't it serve the same purpose as a show, but without the permanent show building? It's a pretty big people-eater since it occupies a lot of guests for well beyond an hour. I'm sure someone here has the numbers. In fact, maybe it's the lack of an evening parade that is causing some of the capacity and overcrowding issues for MK?

Also, in terms of guest satisfaction, as someone mentioned in another thread, Disney manages guest satisfaction by managing towards a certain number of guest attraction experiences, and I'd put a MSEP/SpectroMagic level evening parade as an "above E-ticket" level experience. It could even count as much as 2 other e-tickets for me, maybe more. At this point, I'd pay a full admission day just to see Spectromagic again.

Like fireworks shows, parades may be expensive, but they are a big gun in the arsenal of guest satisfaction.

ml123_9

Original Poster
Nope. Last performance was May 2009. In August 2010 the DEP was playing as part of Summer Nightastic.

We took our son on his first trip September '09 and saw Spectro. The only time I saw it and absolutely loved it. Wish they would bring something back. Seems like TWDC is hoping that we forgot about the existence of a nighttime parade.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We took our son on his first trip September '09 and saw Spectro. The only time I saw it and absolutely loved it. Wish they would bring something back. Seems like TWDC is hoping that we forgot about the existence of a nighttime parade.
Nope, I just checked with an ex performer - the last show was June 4th 2009. I was there that September too and was gutted it didn’t run. It was meant to be dark for 90 days but didn’t return.

EDIT; June 4 2010. My bad.

Last edited:

ml123_9

Original Poster
Nope, I just checked with an ex performer - the last show was June 4th 2009. I was there that September too and was gutted it didn’t run. It was meant to be dark for 90 days but didn’t return.

Closed June, 2010. Checked several other forums and they all said June 4th, 2010. One said June 5. I know I'm not crazy, I even looked at our confirmation emails from that trip. We were there 9-27 to 10-01 2009.

Also, how crazy is this? A trip for 2 adults and 1 child staying at PORS for 4 nights w/ park hopper and free dining cost $1475.96. Those days are long gone.

KaliSplash

Well, I'm an MSEP fan. Spectro was fine, but the music is a waltz, not very parade-like in my opinion.
But all of our opinions are likely colored by what we first saw. For me, that's the Main Street Electrical Parade by in 1979. Was so glad when it came back around 2000 and overjoyed when it returned in 2011.
But the reality is, I'd much rather have Spectro than Nothing, which is what we are stuck with now. :(

brb1006

Closed June, 2010. Checked several other forums and they all said June 4th, 2010. One said June 5. I know I'm not crazy, I even looked at our confirmation emails from that trip. We were there 9-27 to 10-01 2009.

Also, how crazy is this? A trip for 2 adults and 1 child staying at PORS for 4 nights w/ park hopper and free dining cost $1475.96. Those days are long gone.
I remember the Spectromen were actually given updated costumes during the final two years of the parade's existence.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

My bad bad bad. I couldn’t decipher 2009 from 2010.

It was indeed June 4th 2010. That’s even what I was sent (and just re read). My apologies.

Still can’t figure out how I didn’t see it in September 2009. I’d just gone HD and intended in shooting it to death in high def.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom