Does anyone know....

tiggerzgirl83

Original Poster
My Aunts family went to Disney last week and stayed at the Contemporary for a week and had a pretty bad trip because they all had the stomach flu and even had to take a trip to the hospital for dehidration. What is causing this? Im starting to hear it an awful lot down there. They were also talking to guests staying at Pop Century and heard they were having bed bug problems there. Did anyone else hear this? I love that resort and I will be staying there in 2 months, guess I have to double check my room for buggies lol :dazzle:

jen2009

The water down there always make me and my husband sick. It gives us sypmtons like the stomach flu. We have learned to only use the water to take a shower. We bring bottled water and buy it for ALL other uses. I even bring it into restaruants and they do not mind. Since using bottled water, we have not been sick. Hope this helps.

dznygirl64

Disney water making you sick:lol: Bottled water is the biggest gimmick out there.Bottled water is just tap water (dont get me started).Most people get sick because eather the food is to rich and are not used to it or eating more than they should and going on rides and being in the heat.I work at a golf resort and let me tell you the toilets are buisy on hot days here:hurl:.Rich food and heat dont work well together.As for the bed bugs they come from the guests bringing them from home(enough said )

luvlifeinfl

I know when we went last yr in July I got really sick 2 days before we were to return home and the night we got back my husband had to rush me to the hospital.:(

I think it comes from the change of dealing w/ heat, all the food is being comsumed, then just not getting enough rest and not enough water.

bgraham34

I have a rather week stomach at times and never had an issue. But who knows maybe this weekend will be a different story.

RiversideBunny

Think about how many people you are around on the trip.
At the airport, at places you stop if you drive, at WDW itself.

If one person sneezes on an airplane it goes all over. That's my theory anyway.

Hang in there.
BTW- I noticed when I was in Mexico that the locals tended to always have a little alchohol with or after a restaurant meal. Said it killed any germs. Probably true for WDW and most other places also.

:)

Atomicmickey

I agree about the tap water/bottled water comments.

Bottled water is tap water, most of the time. Aside from the convenience of having a bottle with you (and you could bring an empty bottle and fill it),
bottled water is 99.9 percent a scam.

Every region's water is going to taste slightly different, so you shouldn't expect WDW water to taste exactly the same, but our public water standards are the best in the world. There's nothing wrong with WDW water.

Flu, well it happens. It can happen anywhere, and I would think that chances of exposure are increased when you get into crowds in the tens of thousands. That's probably all the explanation necessary. Also, the point about eating all the food, walking around in the heat, etc. A WDW vacation is anything but normal daily activity! Thankfully!

foreverbelle

Regarding the buggies-

Could they be the love bugs. We run into them from time to time, a few years ago they were worse than the other times or were they different ones?

I am sorry to hear that your family was sick for their trip. That sucks. But I agree with a lot of people, you are around a lot of people, on the plane and stuff. So I suppose it happens from to time...

My friend and her husband caught the flu in Disney when they were on their honeymoon back in 07' yeah I felt horrible for them as well.

forevermickey

- I just got back from the Happiest place on the Earth last night. I have heard about the bed bugs, I know someone that just came back and had gotten the swine flu, according to the docter at the celebration hospital. While watching TV at night in the hotel room the news said there was an outbreak of the flu going around an elementary school somewhere in Florida. The key is hand sanitizer, washing hands frequently, keepings hands away from your face, especially eyes and mouth. Keep hydrated, don't over eat, try to get enough rest at night. Try not to over do the days in the park, know when to take a break at the hotel pool, room or a nice air conditioned restaurant.--- I actually bring clorox wipes and wipe the table down and booster seat before sitting at the tables, but thats because I'm a "freak" and I have a 3 year old- don't mind the head colds but trying to avoid the heavy stuff for her sake- while on vacation at least.

danstephg

Disney water making you sick:lol: Bottled water is the biggest gimmick out there.Bottled water is just tap water (dont get me started).

It may be tap water originally, but then the bottled water is purified and filtered. It's not a gimmick per say. It allows you to drink the water you're used to anywhere you go in the US and abroad.

Regardless, Disney tap water is not something I think tastes very good. Isn't that reason enough?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree about the tap water/bottled water comments.

Bottled water is tap water, most of the time. Aside from the convenience of having a bottle with you (and you could bring an empty bottle and fill it),
bottled water is 99.9 percent a scam.

Every region's water is going to taste slightly different, so you shouldn't expect WDW water to taste exactly the same, but our public water standards are the best in the world. There's nothing wrong with WDW water.

Flu, well it happens. It can happen anywhere, and I would think that chances of exposure are increased when you get into crowds in the tens of thousands. That's probably all the explanation necessary. Also, the point about eating all the food, walking around in the heat, etc. A WDW vacation is anything but normal daily activity! Thankfully!
Absolutely correct. The .1% of bottled water that is not a scam is consistent taste. If you want to pay $2-$4 for a familiar taste that's fine but don't think what you are getting is any safer or better.

When it comes to picking up a flu bug, cold, etc WDW, or any other tourist destination for that matter, presents ideal conditions for it to happen. Getting sick while on vacation is incredibly common. You have tens of thousands of people from all over the world in close proximity with each other. The chances of someone having a germ or virus that your body has never seen before is quite high. Add fatigue and dehydration to the mix and I am surprised that every single person does not get sick.

Regarding the buggies-

Could they be the love bugs. We run into them from time to time, a few years ago they were worse than the other times or were they different ones?

I am sorry to hear that your family was sick for their trip. That sucks. But I agree with a lot of people, you are around a lot of people, on the plane and stuff. So I suppose it happens from to time...

My friend and her husband caught the flu in Disney when they were on their honeymoon back in 07' yeah I felt horrible for them as well.
Love bugs and bed bugs are pretty hard to mix up. Love bugs are flying insects that swarm on average twice a year. They are very noticeable and completley harmless to people...cars not so much. Bed bugs on the other hand are extremely small (a little smaller than a flea) and are almost translucent. For the most part you will never see them even if they are there. What you will see is their droppings (looks like fine black sand) and marks on your body from their bites. Will all that being said bedbugs are quite uncommon but incidents are on the rise. To make matters worse they are very hard to get rid of. Insecticides do little to nothing to kill or prevent them. The best thing to do is look for evidence of them when you first get into a room. Remove the sheets from the beds and check for their droppings. If you see them leave the room and report it to management immediately.

sublimesting

A little note on flus and sickness. Generally when you get sick you actually caught that bug 5-10 days before. It takes time for the virus/bacteria to replicate and symptoms to show. People always think, Well, this guy just sneezed on this morning and now I am sick. Doesn't usually work that way, it could, but usually with standard sickness it needs incubation time.

As for bed bugs at Disney, they could happen as people bring them from home and anyone can have them (they travel in luggage you know). Business travellers can get them alot in hotels. Anyhooo, I seriousl y dubt Disney would just accept bedbugs at those "filthy value resorts for poor people" - where I stay incidentally :animwink:. If bedbugs were found I think Disney would eradicate them right away.

foreverbelle

Absolutely correct. The .1% of bottled water that is not a scam is consistent taste. If you want to pay $2-$4 for a familiar taste that's fine but don't think what you are getting is any safer or better.

When it comes to picking up a flu bug, cold, etc WDW, or any other tourist destination for that matter, presents ideal conditions for it to happen. Getting sick while on vacation is incredibly common. You have tens of thousands of people from all over the world in close proximity with each other. The chances of someone having a germ or virus that your body has never seen before is quite high. Add fatigue and dehydration to the mix and I am surprised that every single person does not get sick.

Love bugs and bed bugs are pretty hard to mix up. Love bugs are flying insects that swarm on average twice a year. They are very noticeable and completley harmless to people...cars not so much. Bed bugs on the other hand are extremely small (a little smaller than a flea) and are almost translucent. For the most part you will never see them even if they are there. What you will see is their droppings (looks like fine black sand) and marks on your body from their bites. Will all that being said bedbugs are quite uncommon but incidents are on the rise. To make matters worse they are very hard to get rid of. Insecticides do little to nothing to kill or prevent them. The best thing to do is look for evidence of them when you first get into a room. Remove the sheets from the beds and check for their droppings. If you see them leave the room and report it to management immediately.

Ah I didn't know that was what she was referring to, totally missed a word there. I thought it was Love Bugs. Yes you are right, bed bugs totally different. Duh on my part.

tiggerzgirl83

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replys it really helped. Now i know to just be cautious with the bed bugs and im not really to much worried about the stomach flu, ive been to disney 18 times and never once had a problem (knock on wood) lol...

JustInTime

I was there a couple of wees ago and got sick. Everyone in my party did. it wasn't vomiting, it was the other end. I swear it's the water.

Mystic

I always drink bottled water when I'm in Disney and that's simply because I don't like the taste of the water in Florida. And yes I know that the bottled water is simply tap water. Dasani water is actually bottled up here in Burlington Ontario, which isn't that far from Toronto so I look at it as I'm drinking good ol' Canadian water :D, it's a taste of home!

cblodg

- I just got back from the Happiest place on the Earth last night. I have heard about the bed bugs, I know someone that just came back and had gotten the swine flu, according to the docter at the celebration hospital. While watching TV at night in the hotel room the news said there was an outbreak of the flu going around an elementary school somewhere in Florida. The key is hand sanitizer, washing hands frequently, keepings hands away from your face, especially eyes and mouth. Keep hydrated, don't over eat, try to get enough rest at night. Try not to over do the days in the park, know when to take a break at the hotel pool, room or a nice air conditioned restaurant.--- I actually bring clorox wipes and wipe the table down and booster seat before sitting at the tables, but thats because I'm a "freak" and I have a 3 year old- don't mind the head colds but trying to avoid the heavy stuff for her sake- while on vacation at least.
^^^
That is very good advice and one that I actually follow. My previous couple of trips I ended up getting sick (head cold) a day or so afterwards or just as the trip was ending. My last trip I set out not to get sick on the trip. Indeed, I got a cold the Monday before we were to fly out. I took my dayquil and Nyquil and was able to get through the worst of it before we left.

While on the trip I had the Clorox wipes (a godsend!) and had a couple of bottles of travel size hand sanitizer (Purel or other).

Also, just follow standard hand washing guidelines and you should be fine. Wash before eating and avoid contact with your eyes, nose and mouth if you haven't washed.

cblodg

It may be tap water originally, but then the bottled water is purified and filtered. It's not a gimmick per say. It allows you to drink the water you're used to anywhere you go in the US and abroad.

Regardless, Disney tap water is not something I think tastes very good. Isn't that reason enough?

It is for me, which is why I won't drink from the tap in Florida.

I was there a couple of wees ago and got sick. Everyone in my party did. it wasn't vomiting, it was the other end. I swear it's the water.

See response to the above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom