Does anyone ever give up on their planning and just go with it?

mdcpr

Our trip is during Thanksgiving break. All my ADRs are in, and the FPs will be scheduled at end of September. My touring plans are just the way I want them to be, but after reading so many posts of crowds, bad food, broken rides, I'm at a point in which I don't care about the plan anymore. I'll be happy with whatever FPs I get even if they are not headliners (who really needs Frozen? I'll take the kids to see the Broadway show). I don't even care about cancellations fees for ADRs (except for Cinderella's Table since it was pre-paid.) if we don't feel like going.

I went from being all excited about the trip, asking non-stop questions and researching all details to having planning fatigue. I just want for my FP dates to come up, and not think about this until we get to WDW. And if when we're there it does not feel 'magical', I don't care. WDW is too much work.

belledream

I really enjoy all the planning (though I believe I am in the minority). I think it helps the countdown to my vacation go by faster. That being said, I think it’s definitely easier to settle down and adopt the “whatever happens, happens” mindset once you get under those 60 days... knowing you’ve at least done everything in your power to give yourself those options for enjoyment and success. But really, as the big day gets realllly close, I’m not thinking about riding Space Mountain or Soarin’, but popping into the shops along Main Street and sitting by the fountain in France with a treat from Les Halles. Once we’re there, we really go wherever the wind takes us. It’s as magical as we make it. :)

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

You've overdone it and burned out. Step away from the planning til Sept and turn your attention elsewhere for now. Just let it go and don't fret about it. Once you get there, you can relax and enjoy yourself, knowing you've already covered all your bases. But remember: NO VACATION IS EVER PERFECT! And this one is no exception. Stay flexible, keep everything in perspective, and have fun.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My very first trip was with an almost 3 year old on Christmas week. The crowds were INSANE. We went with the flow a lot, but the pre-planning really helped us get the most from our trip. For example, we went to EMH at 7 am Christmas morning at MK. Not a lot of other people woke up that early, so most of the rides were a walk on. We were able to do things we had FP for later so we ended up switching our plans around a great deal. We also underestimated how much time we would want to spend at the pool, so a few nights we had planned activities we cancelled to spend more time swimming.

I will say this.... if you go during high crowd times, it's really helpful to have good fastpasses. That way, if the crowds are higher or more overwhelming than you expected, at least you have those three things you can for certain do.

We also modified a lot of plans on the fly. We planned to eat at BOG and then catch a parade, but both my daughter and my ex husband were melting from exhaustion. So we grabbed a gray stuff cupcake to go, checked out the Beast's castle, and skipped the parade. Just be flexible.

Upvote 0

mdcpr

Original Poster
I really enjoy all the planning (though I believe I am in the minority). I think it helps the countdown to my vacation go by faster. That being said, I think it’s definitely easier to settle down and adopt the “whatever happens, happens” mindset once you get under those 60 days... knowing you’ve at least done everything in your power to give yourself those options for enjoyment and success. But really, as the big day gets realllly close, I’m not thinking about riding Space Mountain or Soarin’, but popping into the shops along Main Street and sitting by the fountain in France with a treat from Les Halles. Once we’re there, we really go wherever the wind takes us. It’s as magical as we make it. :)
I like the way you think. That's the place I want to get to. :)

Upvote 0

mdcpr

Original Poster
You've overdone it and burned out. Step away from the planning til Sept and turn your attention elsewhere for now. Just let it go and don't fret about it. Once you get there, you can relax and enjoy yourself, knowing you've already covered all your bases. But remember: NO VACATION IS EVER PERFECT! And this one is no exception. Stay flexible, keep everything in perspective, and have fun.
Indeed I'm burned out.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Youve done your research, youve done your planning, youre prepared, youre miles ahead of most people that will be going to WDW. Youll have a great time. Dont listen to all the negatives people put out there. Its not going to be as bad as they are leading you to believe. Yes there will be crowds because you are going during a time when more people want to go, but with the proper plans in place, you can enjoy your day. Be patient, relax and let all that Disney has to offer you astound you. If you do encounter something unexpected be flexible and adjust your plans. In any trip there may be glitches come up, dont panic, deal with them when they happen. If you go in negative, it will be negative. Stop fretting about expecting bad food, broken rides, crowds, paint chips, and all the rest the doomsayers tell you. ITS NOT THAT BAD!! In all my trips, I've never come back disappointed.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Youve done your research, youve done your planning, youre prepared, youre miles ahead of most people that will be going to WDW. Youll have a great time. Dont listen to all the negatives people put out there. Its not going to be as bad as they are leading you to believe. Yes there will be crowds because you are going during a time when more people want to go, but with the proper plans in place, you can enjoy your day. Be patient, relax and let all that Disney has to offer you astound you. If you do encounter something unexpected be flexible and adjust your plans. In any trip there may be glitches come up, dont panic, deal with them when they happen. If you go in negative, it will be negative. Stop fretting about expecting bad food, broken rides, crowds, paint chips, and all the rest the doomsayers tell you. ITS NOT THAT BAD!! In all my trips, I've never come back disappointed.

Yeah we went on the most crowded day/week of the entire year and had a great time.

Upvote 0

mdcpr

Original Poster
Thank you.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Don't stress out too much. You'll be at Disney and it will be fun.
When I go with my sister we plan most of the trip. When I go with my husband we have starting to just go with it. My husband is great even though he suffers from depression he still is on board for our anniversary trip every fall, usually in October. He also gets motion sickness so he skips a lot of the rides and the films like the one in Canada make him nauseous. It does make trip easier to plan since we don’t need to get the most popular FPs but I still overthink it. He is easy about food, only asks for a good breakfast every day. I have a few ADR for dinner and we may or may not keep them. I’ll cancel as soon as I know we won’t go but we may get the cancellation fee on one or two. I would love to go to MNSSHP but I pretty sure he couldn’t make it to mid-night so that may be a same day decision if they have tickets available. Last year he had a bad week and stayed in the room a lot while I went to the parks. He said he can sleep in the room as well as if he was home so sends me to the parks. Of course since I was by myself a lot I did a little shopping so much that he bought me a Mickey carry-on suitcase for all my souvenirs. I’ve been to WDW at least 35 times so being alone is ok and we always eat dinner together.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I also love the planning. Quite frankly, since I can't afford to be at WDW every day, planning is what I use to immerse myself back in it when I can't be there.

Once we get to WDW, we usually stick to my plan. But, in reality, the "plan" is just 3 FPs and a restaurant, so it's not like I have to be a drill Sargent. We are free to do whatever we feel like the vast majority of the day. And, when my 3 FPs are used, we just book whatever FP is next available on the app.

I think once you've gone to WDW enough times, the need to plan every detail dies down because you know you're going to have a great time no matter what. Also, once you're actually there, the negativity you've read about on this site and others rolls off your back because once you're there, if you're like me, you aren't checking this or any other website-you're having way too much fun to be on a computer or phone blogging or researching at that point. And, there are so so so so many positive things you will experience every day at WDW that any negative thing you've read on this board will be forgotten or pale in comparison.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Classic case of planning burnout.
Plan, plan, plan... change plans, change plans back, second and triple guess yourself.

I make a loose plan prior to booking any ADR's or FP's.
Then I try to get the ADR's and FP's I wanted.
If it doesn't work out I always have a plan B in my back pocket to whip out on the spot.
I then don't mess with much.
I go on my trip and remind myself that sometimes crap happens and I just go with the flow and modify things as need be.

Being too rigid sets you up for disappointment and throwing away all of your plans sets you up for regret.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
:) Just wait for your fastpass+ day and be ready to re-plan almost everything. Today was our 60 day window and with all the parks open early for onsite guests and HS open from the crack of dawn till 9 you will join the struggle.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

You forgot the overflowing trash cans, which I've still NEVER seen in person...to the OP, many people on here think WDW has turned into Six Flags...I live near a SF...trust me, it's nowhere close. My DW is like Clark W. Griswald in the original "Vacation" movie...planned to the max, but in order to get the most out of your trip, you really have to plan like that. Just expect the unexpected and don't be afraid to veer off course, so to speak.

Upvote 0

mollygirl21

Here's what I've learned from planning a few trips while using the boards for info - the things that get hyped to the nth degree are never that amazing in person (dole whips) and the things that get bashed to the nth degree are not as bad as all that. Everything in person is less extreme than it seems here ;)

Yes, there are amazing things at Disney and yes unplanned amazing moments happen. But it can all happen without stressing about it. Plan as much as you want or as little as you want - whatever brings you happiness and makes the wait until the trip more enjoyable (or bearable) for you.

Sometimes when I talk to DH about something I've read on the boards, I realize it sounds a little out there.

Everyone is different so it's hard to say what your experience will be and impossible to tell you how to experience Disney. I hope you have an absolutely wonderful trip and have some fantastic unplanned moments and that the most important plans you make work out. 🌷🌷🌷

Upvote 0

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Some things I plan, some things I don't. I like having fast passes chosen and some adr's.
I'm not into planning every single minute of a vacation. Leaving room for spontaneity and surprises is nice, after all, you are going to be at WDW!

To me, there's a difference between "planning" and "over-planning". Maybe the word that comes to my mind is Balance.
Hope this helps! 🙂

Upvote 0

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
I was a HEAVY planner for our first 6 trips. Now I plan our FP's and make one sit down table reservation. I have found that I really enjoy the parks more now that I am not overstressed about all the planning. I am sure once you take a break from it all you will be refreshed and ready. :). Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

You’re making it too much work.....you have it covered so it’s time to step away for a bit and let the magic and excitement renew.

Trust this smart gal....;)
I'm a good place with planning! I know which parks and which rides we're going to do which days. I've prepared Plan B in case things don't go our way. I have all the ADRs I wanted. I prepared notes on what I want to accomplish each date. I have great touring plans.

I feel I can take a break until end of summer, and the trip is in Thanksgiving. Yeah!!!

I just need to shake off the OCD I developed by reading all things WDW.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Sometimes by over planning, you can miss moments that end up magical by accident.

We are DVC and go 2 times a year...I consider us very lucky to be able to do that. Because its twice a year, we plan a bit looser, knowing we'll be back in 6-7 months.

Just walking around Epcot, as the sun sets, catching a band play in Canada as you drink a Bass Ale from England, seeing the Chinese Acrobat show which still amazes me every time, just unplanned moments that end up great memories.

To each their own....and I STILL plan out our days FP's at 60 days, and sometimes 2-3 dinners a week, but we like to venture off the path a lot, wing a dinner reservation, and fastpasses. You'd be surprised how many 'same day' experiences you can get!

Just have fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom