Does anyone else miss bugs land?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
First thing I'll say is that I recognize it's strictly nostalgic, because bugs land wasnt exactly great, but I really do miss bugs land. I miss it's tough to be a bug (best show at DCA), I miss the new-family aspect of it, heck I even miss heimlichs chew chew train when it was nighttime and we were tired and there's nothing else to do. What I really miss though, was approaching ToT feeling like I left a jungle and found an abandoned hotel. It reminds me of when DCA was still good.

Tell me I'm crazy from quarantine and thinking about past memories :p but honestly I'd rather have the cheap family area than a land about all things Marvel.

mickEblu

First thing I'll say is that I recognize it's strictly nostalgic, because bugs land wasnt exactly great, but I really do miss bugs land. I miss it's tough to be a bug (best show at DCA), I miss the new-family aspect of it, heck I even miss heimlichs chew chew train when it was nighttime and we were tired and there's nothing else to do. What I really miss though, was approaching ToT feeling like I left a jungle and found an abandoned hotel. It reminds me of when DCA was still good.

Tell me I'm crazy from quarantine and thinking about past memories :p but honestly I'd rather have the cheap family area than a land about all things Marvel.

I mean, it had a lot of charm. All of the bamboo and foliage. Popsicle stick benches, giant spigot/ water playground, nice soundtrack and of course the great ITTBAB. Of course we all talked crap about the cheap carnival rides. I always liked the atmosphere however. I liked how low key the entrance off the main DCA corridor was and really liked that always empty path from Cars Land to Bugs Land. It was kind of like the old Big Thunder Trail.

In all honestly, if they had just made Heimlichs an indoor dark ride and kept everything else the same I think our perception of the land would have been much different.

mickEblu

I’m 100% certain Avengers Campus won’t be nearly as charming as Bugs Land. However, if Spider-Man is fun And I spend more than 35 seconds in the land then I guess that’s a win???

Homemade Imagineering

I myself have some nostalgia for bugs land. I don’t miss everything about it because it certainly had many flaws, such as the off the shelf attractions scattered throughout the land, although I do really miss it’s tough to be a bug. It was an amazing show, and the hopper animatronic was so impressive! I especially loved sitting in the front row, so I could get a good view of him every time I watched it! I feel the same way about muppet vision 3D. Amazing show with amazing animatronics and special effects. I miss them both.

fctiger

No. Other than it was a nice short cut to CL I guess.

Edit: Shoot, Theme vision 1955 just reminded me about ITTBAB. Yeah that was a great show so I will miss that. That said, I probably saw it maybe twice a year if I'm being very honest. 3D shows also just age badly after a decade, but that one held up better than most IMO.

smooch

So I have some mixed feelings about the whole Bugs Land to Avengers Campus transformation. I used to love ITTBAB when I was little, but never went in on my later trips when I was older. The whole area was incredibly charming to walk through, it is akin to WDW's Toy Story Land in the sense that you get to feel like you were shrunk down to the size of a bug or a toy. I liked the animal cracker box building, the popsicle stick benches, etc. I always enjoyed using it to get to Tower of Terror as a little shortcut and to use those bathrooms, but I never really rode the rides. I am excited to see the Spider-Man ride as well as the Pym Particle Brewery, the concepts are exciting to me and I enjoy Marvel as a franchise. With that said, the park loses a lot of charm converting this shrunk down, cute, bug scale area into a downtown building complex. I am not excited for the area aesthetically, the concept art looks like my community college. I wish they would have gone with a different concept to build, something that at least was a little more fantastic / whimsical and played more on the awe and wonder of superheroes, not creating a building to mimic a lab where drones are made. DCA has lots of issues aesthetically, but I think areas like Cars Land and Grizzly Peak are beautiful. Grizzly Peak would be a better comparison to make in terms of talking about Avengers Campus because it is also based in reality, at least in the sense that the College Campus is based in reality. The difference is that Grizzly Peak is an idealized, fantasy, almost caricature of the area it is representing. That isn't really possible to do in Avengers Campus when the source material is a cold, boring college campus that has nothing whimsical and fun about it.

I know this sentiment has been shared here before, and I am excited to check out Avengers Campus when it opens, I really am, I just wish they had come up with a different idea for the location of the land. It reminds me of how people feel about Galaxy's Edge, it's hard to argue that Disney does a bad job executing these ideas, they are really great at building what they design. The problem is that the designs themselves are flawed. The way that GE looks like a war torn, broken down outpost. That's what it's designed to look like, I wish it was designed to look like something more inspiring and imaginative. College campus and war torn outposts are not even close to what I think of when I think of an area in Disneyland (I know Avengers Campus is in DCA but still) I think of romanticized versions of places. Frontierland is a romanticized version of the wild west, I know in real life some western towns were just wooden buildings with dirt roads and nothing amazing, but the whole feel in Frontierland with the beautiful cleaned up, ornate buildings and the big log gate are all things that 1.) don't look worn down and depressing, and 2.) are things from another time that we don't just see every day. Heck, when I went to WDW and got to visit Pandora for the first time last year, I was blown away by the area. I saw Avatar a few times in theaters, mainly for the visuals like most people, so getting to step into the world of the movies was incredibly cool. The whole land is amazingly well done, the sounds and foliage of the area are incredible. But this whole concept works because of the park Pandora is in. Animal Kingdom is a park designed for you to slow down, to walk around and explore the details, and to be sort of immersed in nature (think the trails around the main section of AK). Because of where this land is, it is designed and executed very well, sure the IP is a strange choice but I have heard such high praise of the land and the E-Ticket ride is very fun and brings in consistently massive crowds even with a good hourly capacity.

I really think Disney needs to look at their current Imagineer teams and realize that they have some fundamental differences in how they see theme parks today than Disney did in the past and even how Universal sees them today. Universal created The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and it was incredible. And the entire experience of riding the train into Diagon Alley was next level cool. It really took everything to a new level. Plus, Universal didn't back themselves into a corner by claiming the area is canon in Harry Potter lore. They're able to just create an area that invokes the essence of the franchise without taking itself too seriously. You can go get a wand and cast spells around the area, you can try all the foods and drinks from the stories, and you're able to just have fun experiences because they aren't locked down because the land takes place between books 4 and 5 or something like they did with Galaxy's Edge. I know that this is just an opinion from someone on a Disney fan site and it doesn't hold any true value or merit to anyone at Disney who matters, and they would rather look at the public response to the new additions to Disney Parks and pat themselves on the backs about how "revolutionary" they are and how they're creating experiences "unlike anything you've experienced before" but they really do need to take a look at how they design lands and rides. I mean, I haven't been on RotR yet and I am sure it is incredible to experience and I can not wait until I do so, but it is just embarrassing that their newest ride that they act like is some great reinvention of theme park rides can't even operate reliably, and even if it does, the capacity is so low that such an abysmally low percentage of people who want to ride it every day get to. I truly hope Disney is able to realize these lands need to be designed in different ways at the very least on a park to park basis. There is no reason Galaxy's Edge should have ever been built in Disneyland. The fact that the lands are now Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge makes me sad. An entire land dedicated to one IP belongs nowhere in Disneyland, sure in Hollywood Studios it is fine and even in DCA it would have been a better fit, but not in Disneyland. I know Disney probably has no intention on not doing this as every land they continue to build is IP specific (Avatar, Galaxy's Edge, Cars Land, Toy Story Land) but they really need to consider how this makes the parks look. The charm of a land with a specific theme rather than specific IP leaves so much more room for creativity, but they seem to be lacking in that department. Who knows, maybe we'll see an expansion in some other park some time that isn't based exclusively on an existing IP, but I won't hold my breath. I won't even begin to fancy the idea of a new ride not based on an IP, at least one that isn't Pixar, Marvel, or Lucas Films. I guess we are getting MMRR but I am just shocked it has taken Disney this long to finally make a real Mickey Mouse ride. And I get that the Fantasyland dark rides were all based on pretty recent Disney movies at the time, I just feel like they have a different feel to what we get now. And we still got things like the Matterhorn, Autopia, Space Mountain, Adventures Through Inner Space, etc. which didn't have any ties to any existing IPs, just rides based on ideas.

smooch

I think I remember that skateboarding arcade machine from somewhere else in the DLR, I think in the Grand Californian(?) that I used to love when I was little. I always remember begging my parents to let me and my brothers play it just once during our trips. That also just reminded me of when my parents would take us to the ESPN zone. I now realize they 100% did this to give themselves an opportunity to rest and sit down for an extended period of time but we would always go there and get food and then they got my brothers and I points for the games so we would go play for a while and let them relax / let my dad watch some baseball.

SuddenStorm

It was a land that consisted solely of off the shelf rides skinned as Disney, and a Disney World clone.

Everything about the land screamed 'Pressler era Disney cheap', despite a few hints of good and clever Imagineering.

I'm looking forward to Avengers Campus that looks to have a decently fun D ticket and has the looks to have the best live entertainment Disney's done in DCA.

SteamboatJoe

I liked it. Sure the rides were generic but they were intended for very little kids so I can understand not spending a boatload of money on them. Not everything needs to be or should be a cutting edge E-ticket with a blockbuster budget. Some changes here and there could've been made, but it was a nice, shady place to enjoy something at a little bit of a slower pace while being amused by the cute immersive, scenery.

Rich T

I'm looking forward to Avengers Campus that looks to have a decently fun D ticket and has the looks to have the best live entertainment Disney's done in DCA.
I’m sure the performers will do the best they can. Personally I have no interest in seeing the world’s most expensive mannequin get flung into the air.
(Edit))
Okay, maybe a *little* interested. 😃

I’m betting Five & Dime and the Aladdin/Frozen stage shows will still be the best live entertaiment the park’s ever had.

Last edited:

Rich T

I miss walking through the bamboo forest at night. And the streetlamps. Admittedly not enough reasons to keep the land.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most young adult fans (read - the bulk of the online DL community in the last 15yrs) hated on Bugsland because the attractions were simply off the shelf rides dressed up and WEREN'T FOR THEM.

The land and ride dressings were very nice... and very creative. It just fell so far short in the actual attraction category for most because it was meaningless to them that they hated on the place with a passion.

At least the rides in paradise pier they could ride.. even if they hated the choice to put them there.

Think of silly symphony swings... most of the stuff done in bugsland exceeds SSS... but people embrace SSS as an 'improvement' and something they can actually ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom