Does anyone belong to disney vacation club

michelemily

Original Poster
thinking of purchasing into disney vacation club and wanted to know if anyone was already a member and what they thought of it - - good and bad...

dixiegirl

Well after going to disney for 10yrs going and going two or three times a year, we finally took the plunge in 2006 ..also after our dvc rep told us that we could have easily paid for the dvc twice over with the amount of times we've been over the previous 10yrs.....Kinda made me sick!!!! But needless to say I'm very so happy we did it.....We Can go more often stay at some of the best resorts(although I must say that I do miss POR from time to time) I do enjoy being a member....take a tour if you have'nt already...Animal Kingdom lodge is real nice.....Our home resort is Saratoga.....I'm liking it more as we go , I'm so use to theming of POR.....But Saratoga is also quite a big , beautiful resort...Its Home..

Craig & Lisa

The DW and I have been members since 2003, and have never regreted it once. We own three, 1 in BCV, and 2 in SSR. We have figured since 03 we have saved over 12,000$$$$ in where we stay. Because we can stay at places we would not have even been able to save enough to stay at. The perks are good too, and the resorts are even better when you don't have to put out a large amount of cash out to stay there. The rooms are bigger, in fact the kitchen at OKW 2 bedroom is bigger than the on in my own house. :lol: The one thing that is different is they will only change bedding in your room once while your there, but you have in most rooms a washer and dryer to take care of all that. Can't beat it, just check it out, you won't believe what they tell you.:animwink:

cblodg

Our family loves our DVC membership!!! We've been able to do so many more things on our DVC than just a regular vacation would normally allow.

It also allows you to stay at many of the nicer Disney resorts that we normally wouldn't be able to afford. WE LOVE GOING TO OLD KEY WEST RESORT and never would have prior to our DVD membership.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
thinking of purchasing into disney vacation club and wanted to know if anyone was already a member and what they thought of it - - good and bad...

Member since 2005. More good than bad, especially when its paid off hopefully next year. Will get better and better the higher resort costs go.......

MinnieLee

Been a member for 8 years and love it! One of the best things we have done. Go into the DVC forum and there is alot of information from members and people thinking about going in. You stay at the deluxe resorts, get discounts at restaurants, shops, golf and $100 off an annual pass. You really have to figure out how many points you want, if you are financing and remember you have to pay annual dues. If you decide to join, welcome home!

Phonedave

Bad, because it does not stop the addiction, it only makes it worse :)

Seriously, I have only good things to say about it. It may be just me own experences but, aside from the benefits and perks, it seems to bring back "old" Disney feel. Everyone used to be treated like they were special, now that seems less so (which is sad) however, since joining the DVC, any DVC cast member has been nothing but helpful, nice, plesant, accomidating, etc etc.

-dave

slappy magoo

Here's an overriding FYI. Whenever someone comes on the forum looking for info about DVC, inevitably, some dillhole comes on and starts trolling the DVC members, considering them idiots for being members, spending that kind of money on a time share you never really own (or spending money on time share, period). So this is like a pre-emptive strike.

There ARE better financial investments. If you're good with numbers, and occasionally VERY lucky, you can make investments that would pay a return that would cover all the vacations you could ever want and then some. I KNOW I'm not that good with numbers.

Chances are, if you're interested in DVC, you're not looking at it as a financial investment. It's a luxutry item, one you choose to buy because you wanted it, not because you needed it. Most of us have a larger TV than the one we "need," or a better car or stereo, etc. You might buy new clothes before old clothes wear out. Hell, why buy books when there are libraries? Why buy DVDs when there's Netflix, or video games when there's Gametap? Every penny you don't spend on things you don't need is a penny you can invest towards your future. But life's more enjoyable with our luxuries, aren't they?

Now, a vacation is no different. Taking time to recuperate or enjoy ourselves improves the quality of life but we don't technically ahve to GO anywhere. We can rest at home, watching rented DVDs on our little TV in our not-quite-worn clothes, eating food that's healthy but NEVER gourmet, etc. etc. Sounds great, eh?

Even if you decide to go somewhere, you don't have to go to Disney World, right? There are plenty of cheaper vacation spots, camping, hunting, squatting, staying with relatives, visiting tax-subsidized museums or natural phenomena...

But, you want to go Disney World, it's the luxury you think is worthwhile. And if you can afford it, maybe you plan to go a lot.

Now, you can go to Walt Disney World on the cheap. You can stay offsite, at potentially larger or more luxurious accomodations for less. Or stay at the Values or the campground. You can make your own meals, not do park hoppers, don't rent a car, stuff like that. You can ALWAYS go when WDW runs promotions like Free Dining, or ALWAYS go during offpeak times when it's cheaper. You got options for saving money.

Well, DVC is one of those options. It'll give you the luxury of staying on site (if you consider staying on site a luxury, I do), in larger accomodations than Value or Moderates (maybe not as big as the nicest Deluxe resorts), plus opportunities for even larger accomodations with the 1BR, 2 BR and Grand Villas. And unless you're the best stock market analyst in the business, sooner or later, the DVC will save you some money. HOW MUCH MONEY depends on a lot of variables, like when you usually go, where you usually stay, how long your trips are, if you take advantage of promotions, stuff like that. But, again, sooner or later, you'll start saving money.

Some people will say, with the maintenance fees you're paying that DVC's a sucker game. Like I said, don't look at it as a financial investment. You gotta pay for the upkeep of most of the other things you own, right? Cars, homes, appliances eventually need some work done, and the maintenance fee reflects that. If you tend to go during peak seasons and stay in Deluxe resorts, you'll "envision" savings sooner than someone who always stays in Values during off-peak seasons during special promotions, but, AGAIN, SOONER OR LATER, you save money with DVC. Just don't look at it as the wisest investment, look at it as a guarantee that you'll always have a nice place to stay when you stay at Disney. If things get tough, money gets tight, and you have to scrimp on a vacation every other way - making your own meals, driving versus flying (yeah, like THAT saves you a lot of money nowadays), no souveneirs, no booze, no add-ons to your tickets, etc., you'd still have a nice room to stay in, already paid for.

(And of course, there's always the possibility of you renting your points if you really need money, but that's too depressing to think about)

If that's the sort of thing that pleases you, go for it. I know I'm happy with the decision I made to buy DVC. I'd rather have spent the money on DVC than a sports car or a Rolex, but that's me. Some people would rather use that money elsewhere.

Kath-n-me

We bought into DVC after kicking the idea around for the last 10 years. Now we are kicking ourselves for not doing it 10 years ago. We go 2-3 times a year, so overall, we feel it will payoff for us.

DisneyFan1003

We just joined in January and will be taking our first DVC trip in three weeks. We're staying at our home resort, SSR. We should have done it earlier but are excited that we have it now and look forward to years of vacations!

michelemily

Original Poster
thank you so much for all of your helpful advice...we have decided to take the plunge and we are going to become DVC members! We are so excited!

Here's an overriding FYI. Whenever someone comes on the forum looking for info about DVC, inevitably, some dillhole comes on and starts trolling the DVC members, considering them idiots for being members, spending that kind of money on a time share you never really own (or spending money on time share, period). So this is like a pre-emptive strike.

There ARE better financial investments. If you're good with numbers, and occasionally VERY lucky, you can make investments that would pay a return that would cover all the vacations you could ever want and then some. I KNOW I'm not that good with numbers.

Chances are, if you're interested in DVC, you're not looking at it as a financial investment. It's a luxutry item, one you choose to buy because you wanted it, not because you needed it. Most of us have a larger TV than the one we "need," or a better car or stereo, etc. You might buy new clothes before old clothes wear out. Hell, why buy books when there are libraries? Why buy DVDs when there's Netflix, or video games when there's Gametap? Every penny you don't spend on things you don't need is a penny you can invest towards your future. But life's more enjoyable with our luxuries, aren't they?

Now, a vacation is no different. Taking time to recuperate or enjoy ourselves improves the quality of life but we don't technically ahve to GO anywhere. We can rest at home, watching rented DVDs on our little TV in our not-quite-worn clothes, eating food that's healthy but NEVER gourmet, etc. etc. Sounds great, eh?

Even if you decide to go somewhere, you don't have to go to Disney World, right? There are plenty of cheaper vacation spots, camping, hunting, squatting, staying with relatives, visiting tax-subsidized museums or natural phenomena...

But, you want to go Disney World, it's the luxury you think is worthwhile. And if you can afford it, maybe you plan to go a lot.

Now, you can go to Walt Disney World on the cheap. You can stay offsite, at potentially larger or more luxurious accomodations for less. Or stay at the Values or the campground. You can make your own meals, not do park hoppers, don't rent a car, stuff like that. You can ALWAYS go when WDW runs promotions like Free Dining, or ALWAYS go during offpeak times when it's cheaper. You got options for saving money.

Well, DVC is one of those options. It'll give you the luxury of staying on site (if you consider staying on site a luxury, I do), in larger accomodations than Value or Moderates (maybe not as big as the nicest Deluxe resorts), plus opportunities for even larger accomodations with the 1BR, 2 BR and Grand Villas. And unless you're the best stock market analyst in the business, sooner or later, the DVC will save you some money. HOW MUCH MONEY depends on a lot of variables, like when you usually go, where you usually stay, how long your trips are, if you take advantage of promotions, stuff like that. But, again, sooner or later, you'll start saving money.

Some people will say, with the maintenance fees you're paying that DVC's a sucker game. Like I said, don't look at it as a financial investment. You gotta pay for the upkeep of most of the other things you own, right? Cars, homes, appliances eventually need some work done, and the maintenance fee reflects that. If you tend to go during peak seasons and stay in Deluxe resorts, you'll "envision" savings sooner than someone who always stays in Values during off-peak seasons during special promotions, but, AGAIN, SOONER OR LATER, you save money with DVC. Just don't look at it as the wisest investment, look at it as a guarantee that you'll always have a nice place to stay when you stay at Disney. If things get tough, money gets tight, and you have to scrimp on a vacation every other way - making your own meals, driving versus flying (yeah, like THAT saves you a lot of money nowadays), no souveneirs, no booze, no add-ons to your tickets, etc., you'd still have a nice room to stay in, already paid for.

(And of course, there's always the possibility of you renting your points if you really need money, but that's too depressing to think about)

If that's the sort of thing that pleases you, go for it. I know I'm happy with the decision I made to buy DVC. I'd rather have spent the money on DVC than a sports car or a Rolex, but that's me. Some people would rather use that money elsewhere.

Wow! That's probably one of the best ways of defining DVC "needs" I've read.:sohappy:

We're from England and bought March 2007. Due to where we live we can only visit once a year so it will take us longer than the average to re-coup our costs, but that is all in our forward planning.

We are very pleased with being DVC members, and although we find the "welcome home" a little cheesy, we also feel it gives us a great feeling of belonging.

We do have one little advantage over the US - we get 10% off in the Disney Stores in England.

Yes, if you like to come to Disney, especially if it's multiple times each year, this is a great idea.

Member since 2006, but like others, wish I had been able to afford it sooner! :)

Erin_Akey

My hubby and I are seriously considering the vacation club purchase. The ONLY thing that is holding us back at this point is in fact the annual dues. We were told they were at $1500.00 per year and it goes up 3-4% each year.

I really feel like we would enjoy this, but can't seem to get hubby past the dues. Can someone who is a member help me out with this? I am trying to figure out if our family of six would still be saving a tremendous amount of money by purchasing this. We do go at least once a year and usually stay 10 days and do deluxe dining etc. The rep claims three or four trips would pay for our membership.

HELP SOMEONE!!!!

dixiegirl

My hubby and I are seriously considering the vacation club purchase. The ONLY thing that is holding us back at this point is in fact the annual dues. We were told they were at $1500.00 per year and it goes up 3-4% each year.

I really feel like we would enjoy this, but can't seem to get hubby past the dues. Can someone who is a member help me out with this? I am trying to figure out if our family of six would still be saving a tremendous amount of money by purchasing this. We do go at least once a year and usually stay 10 days and do deluxe dining etc. The rep claims three or four trips would pay for our membership.

HELP SOMEONE!!!!

Well we are definatly able to go more ofter being DVC members....Before we'd go once a year one trip being about 10 days long and maybe another trip , same year going for about 3-4 days.....This was before us being members....Our rep went over what we "probably" spent over just the past 10 yrs , us going roughly twice a year staying at a moderate as we've done ....Yes we could have easly paid off our DVC within 5 yrs......Makes us a bit sick thinking about it...You really need to go over would you go once a year.....Do you stay onsite if you do......Yes the annual fees can go up , but so can resort fees as well...Also look into becoming a Annual Passholder..Thats something I wish we've done a long time ago......and you do get a discount on the membership being a DVC member!!!

DisneyPhD

HELP SOMEONE!!!!

Three or four trips will not pay for your membership. Most "break even" in 5 to 10 years depending on if you finance or not when compared to the cost of staying at a Deluxe resort.
That $1500 amount for dues would equate to about 375 points which is enough for a 10 nights in a 2 BR at AKV savanah view for most times of the year. For the number of people in your family (6) that is what you need since studios and 1 BR can accomodate 4-5 at the most. To stay at a moderate resort you would need two rooms at roughly $150 to $200 per room per night that's $3000 to $4000 for the same week with no guarantee that the rooms would be adjoining. DVC "saved" you around $2000 per trip. Comparing to Deluxe resorts where rooms are $250 to $400 per room per night then you are looking at $5000 to $8000 per week for two rooms. DVC "saves" $3500 to $6500.
The 375 points are going to cost about $35,000 to purchase so compared to staying a Moderate, its going to take a while (10+ years) to break even. While compared to the Deluxe will break even in about 7 years. Keep in mind, the size of a two bedroom is the equivalent of 3 regular sized hotel rooms, one of the rooms has a kitchen and living room space so you will have 50% more space than if you rented two regular hotel rooms. If you are happy staying in value resorts (like your signature says!) then DVC won't save you any money and in fact will cost more but that is not comparing apples to apples.

I hope that helps. It's a big decision you need to have as much information as possible and I'm afraid I've thrown alot at you.

That being said, we've been members since 2002 and have stayed mostly in studios (on 170 points per year). We "broke even" after 5 years. In other words we spent as much on the initial purchase and dues in 5 years as it would have cost us to stay at the same resorts on cash. So now all we pay is our $800 dues each year for 10-12 nights at a deluxe resort.

Ok, reading these posts has now made me more curious than ever! I, too, am possibly interested in the DVC, but without having to sit through a whole presentation, I want to know if it's realistically in my budget. Do you pay monthly? Yearly all at one time? Do you pay per point, do you decide upfront how many points you want for the year? Will someone give me a simple "DVC for Dummies" run down? (not that I'm dumb!!)

I'm willing to sit through the presentation if I can figure out if it's a real possibility for me and my current situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom