Does anyone actually understand how to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?

Bairstow

Original Poster
I swear I've Googled this, but I honestly can't find a good explanation of how the game actually works.
I've asked the CMs who dole out the cards at the firehall, and they looked at me like I was an idiot and said you're supposed to hold the cards up to win.
Look, I know this isn't exactly Eye of Judgment here, but surely somebody knows how the rules of the game work and what the numbers on the cards mean.

mad_madam_mim_fake_mtg_card_by_noloter-d546qul.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We played in June. i believe the numbers and symbols in the top right are for playing a deck version of the game similar to Magic:The Gathering, a card game put out by Wizards of the Coast. When in the park you can use the card to trigger an interactive response in the story.

Mickey5150

First of all, the card you are showing is not a Sorcerer's card. It's a fake Magic the Gathering card. Now, about the real game, it's been awhile since I played so I will give you what I remember. There are 3 levels of difficulty. On the easy level you just hold up any card you want at the right time and you will win. On medium and hard levels you actually have to work. Each card has a different spell type on it and each villain has a spell type weakness and strength. At the medium level the villains have a set weakness/strength and on the hard level it is random. So if you fight a boss who is weak against "charming" then you will win if you play that type of card. I've never played hard but basically you hold up a bunch of cards and hope one of them is the right type and then something on screen should indicate the right card to play and you continue the fight with the right card. Other then that, defeat bosses, move to different portals, save the day, repeat.

Bairstow

Original Poster
First of all, the card you are showing is not a Sorcerer's card. It's a fake Magic the Gathering card. Now, about the real game, it's been awhile since I played so I will give you what I remember. There are 3 levels of difficulty. On the easy level you just hold up any card you want at the right time and you will win. On medium and hard levels you actually have to work. Each card has a different spell type on it and each villain has a spell type weakness and strength. At the medium level the villains have a set weakness/strength and on the hard level it is random. So if you fight a boss who is weak against "charming" then you will win if you play that type of card. I've never played hard but basically you hold up a bunch of cards and hope one of them is the right type and then something on screen should indicate the right card to play and you continue the fight with the right card. Other then that, defeat bosses, move to different portals, save the day, repeat.

Thanks, but this is still much too vague for what I'm looking for. What exactly do the opponents' weaknesses and strengths do? Does that halve the HP taken from a particular attack or is use of the relevant weakness a prerequisite to victory? Also, what numeric effect does leveling up a particular card have on the DP done by that particular attack? What does using a single attack card multiple times within a duel do to the card's effectiveness? Is DP reduced each time or is damage done totally nullified?
This also doesn't explain what the numbers printed on a card do. Do some cards buff the following attack made, and others guard against incoming attacks?

The mechanics of this game are probably pretty simple, surely somebody understands them.

mim__stouch_fake_mtg_card_by_noloter-d5qft6k.jpg

JIMINYCR

Go to sotmkblog.com/ a site for the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom... lots of explanations of the game and tips / info. that can possibly help you. I've played it for a while, then realized how much time it was taking away from my ride time, so I gave up. If I had the spare time to just play, I'd get more into it. The cards are nice to collect though.

dreamfinder

There is some info here -> http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...of-the-magic-kingdom-hard-level-rules-change/ but I have no idea how accurate they are, especially since it's a bit old now. This site has more info here -> https://thesorcerersapp.wordpress.com/how-to-play-sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom/ and here -> https://thesorcerersapp.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/version-2-4-5-hard-strategy-changes/ but I've never really found a great site that details in depth individual strategy, most never really even differentiate between easy and medium, never mind hard.

Castle Cake Apologist

Thanks, but this is still much too vague for what I'm looking for. What exactly do the opponents' weaknesses and strengths do? Does that halve the HP taken from a particular attack or is use of the relevant weakness a prerequisite to victory? Also, what numeric effect does leveling up a particular card have on the DP done by that particular attack? What does using a single attack card multiple times within a duel do to the card's effectiveness? Is DP reduced each time or is damage done totally nullified?
This also doesn't explain what the numbers printed on a card do. Do some cards buff the following attack made, and others guard against incoming attacks?

The mechanics of this game are probably pretty simple, surely somebody understands them.

mim__stouch_fake_mtg_card_by_noloter-d5qft6k.jpg

That's another fake Magic the Gathering card, though.

The links posted above are really helpful. Just wanted to make sure you knew that none of the cards you've posted here are real SotMK cards.

Bairstow

Original Poster
There is some info here -> http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...of-the-magic-kingdom-hard-level-rules-change/ but I have no idea how accurate they are, especially since it's a bit old now. This site has more info here -> https://thesorcerersapp.wordpress.com/how-to-play-sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom/ and here -> https://thesorcerersapp.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/version-2-4-5-hard-strategy-changes/ but I've never really found a great site that details in depth individual strategy, most never really even differentiate between easy and medium, never mind hard.

Thanks.
The second link in particular had some useful information, but even the person writing that blog, who apparently markets an app intended to help players manage their cards, still doesn't understand a lot of the way the bonuses work or effect the cards' attack power. I find it interesting that the game is programmed to use the camera and check whether the user is wearing one of the special "master sorcerer" shirts and apply a fully-leveled card bonus to all cards the wearer deploys. I wonder if the shirt could be spoofed with a printed sheet held up to the player's chest. Would be an interesting thing to test.

1434411537568174.png

dreamfinder

Thanks.
The second link in particular had some useful information, but even the person writing that blog, who apparently markets an app intended to help players manage their cards, still doesn't understand a lot of the way the bonuses work or effect the cards' attack power. I find it interesting that the game is programmed to use the camera and check whether the user is wearing one of the special "master sorcerer" shirts and apply a fully-leveled card bonus to all cards the wearer deploys. I wonder if the shirt could be spoofed with a printed sheet held up to the player's chest. Would be an interesting thing to test.

The entire game is based solely off the image recognition (specifically the patterns in the border of the card). There are people that have a large scale copy of the Sorcerer's Crest (image on the back of the cards) on the front of their card binder so they can just show that and not have to take any of the cards out of the pages. And I think it will even read images loaded on an iPad. (I've heard of this and I know that their techs carry iPads with them when troubleshooting)

I don't think anyone has every really published a definite guide to the harder levels of SotMK. Outside of the at home rules published with the booster packs, I don't think Disney has officially provided any rules other than "Hold up a card when Merlin tells you to." I have seen other guests carrying a notebook and making notes based on what cards they play, but if the villains weakness really changes each time it's played now, the game is more challenging.

That is not a Sorcerer card. This is:

At least that's a fake Sorcerer card, not a fake MtG. It's missing the (C) Disney on the right, and the card number w/rarity type on the left.

thomas998

Go to sotmkblog.com/ a site for the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom... lots of explanations of the game and tips / info. that can possibly help you. I've played it for a while, then realized how much time it was taking away from my ride time, so I gave up. If I had the spare time to just play, I'd get more into it. The cards are nice to collect though.

That's pretty much my take on it as well... My kids still like to collect the cards and unfortunately you have to progress before you can collect new cards the next so we generally just try to hit whatever point it is that is required 1 per day unless we just happen to be near the next spot and it isn't occupied.... But we've often found lines for some spots and I just can't justify standing in line to watch the same video we just watch by the 3 or 4 people that were in front of us.

This game would probably make more sense at EPCOT where their aren't as many rides to get your attention and a diversion like this can keep the kids occupied while the parents look in the shops and stores at world showcase.

MickeyMomV

My son loves to play!! We just started playing in the last 2 or 3 trips. We found that it adds something new to do and he plays it mostly at night when we can swing from portal to portal easier. However when playing at night you may need to have a flash light with you to illuminate the cards for the camera. Disney recently installed lights at each portal to help with visibility but sometime you need a little extra.

Another thing to think about it that your game will last about a year without being played. So if you go more often you can pick up where you left off, just be sure to bring your magic band the game was played with. Without it they say you may have to start from the beginning. Same goes if you don't make it back within the year.

There are those in the parks that are totally nuts about the game. If you are there and have questions they would be the ones to ask. Just be aware that they know what cards are the Limited's or hard to get so if they ask to trade and are really excited be a little leery. One thing I would recommend finding before you go would be to find a trading card holder that holds 4 cards or cut down a 9 pocket holder to 4. You can play up to 4 cards at a time while blasting the villain and kid hands have a hard time holding them all.

Killnme

To be honest me and DH just like to collect the cards. Lol Sorry I'm not any help to you. ;)

That is what my 11 yr old started doing. On one trip we were eating off property and a ballon guy was making her something and asked her about it. They talked and he then handed her a container full on cards and said keeping them b/c he was moving up north. So now every time in the park we have to stop and get cards so she can check her collection.

thomas998

The entire game is based solely off the image recognition (specifically the patterns in the border of the card). There are people that have a large scale copy of the Sorcerer's Crest (image on the back of the cards) on the front of their card binder so they can just show that and not have to take any of the cards out of the pages. And I think it will even read images loaded on an iPad. (I've heard of this and I know that their techs carry iPads with them when troubleshooting)

I don't think anyone has every really published a definite guide to the harder levels of SotMK. Outside of the at home rules published with the booster packs, I don't think Disney has officially provided any rules other than "Hold up a card when Merlin tells you to." I have seen other guests carrying a notebook and making notes based on what cards they play, but if the villains weakness really changes each time it's played now, the game is more challenging.

At least that's a fake Sorcerer card, not a fake MtG. It's missing the (C) Disney on the right, and the card number w/rarity type on the left.
Any idea how it worked when you used the keyhole card instead of the magic bands? I understood the using backgrounds to determine your spell card, but never understood how it knew my keyhole card from someone elses.

dreamfinder

Any idea how it worked when you used the keyhole card instead of the magic bands? I understood the using backgrounds to determine your spell card, but never understood how it knew my keyhole card from someone elses.

The keyhole card is RFID enabled. At least the ones you get from check in/registering are. The ones they include with the booster packs for sale are just dummies and won't work for game play. If you add new admission media/players to an existing game they will have you tap the key card, and then tap your Magic Band/ticket to get the system to associate them with each other.

thomas998

The keyhole card is RFID enabled. At least the ones you get from check in/registering are. The ones they include with the booster packs for sale are just dummies and won't work for game play. If you add new admission media/players to an existing game they will have you tap the key card, and then tap your Magic Band/ticket to get the system to associate them with each other.
Really? So if I were to soak my old keyhole card in water and dissolve away the paper I could find a RFID circuit? Now I'm tempted to try this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom