Pre-Trip Does absence make the heart grow fonder?

Inspired by other out of the closet lurkers, I’m going to attempt a pre trip report and eventual trip report. With only 10 days to go I figure it will help pass the days.

First up who – this is a solo trip and I am a former AP holder and DVC owner.

My first trip was July, 1972. I have some very clear memories from that trip. We stayed at the Poly and I wished the entire time we had stayed in the hotel that the train went through. I remember the amazing Volcano pool and my Dad catching me as I landed at the bottom. And while I don’t remember actually getting lost due to my fascination with the characters that would roam the park, I do remember having to use a rented stroller (that wasn’t very comfortable) because my parents didn’t want to lose me again.

In 2007, after several trips between 1989 and 2007, I bought a resale contract at BWV. I started going multiple times in the same year and included a few trips to DL. Those DVC points were put to good use. I have many wonderful memories with family and of solo trips.
I sold my DVC in 2016, which was also the last time I was in the World and only attended a MNSSHP and the DVC owner’s night at AK on that trip (spent most of time at US and SW).

I sold as the trips weren’t as much fun, planning vacations started to become too much. I joked that planning D-Day was easier than planning WDW trips. I missed the days when you could just show up and decide which park that day. I remember the days when making same day dining reservations was the norm. As many have mentioned the crowds are much larger, too many upcharges and the quality wasn’t what I remembered. Looking back going from 90 day PS to 180 day ADR’s may have been the beginning of the end. Also, I don’t like the idea of constantly checking for FP on your phone. I like disconnecting when I vacation. I loved the old system.

The When and Where

Around this time last year, I started to get the itch. I always went in the fall and did miss going for MNSSHP and F&W. I knew after all those DVC trips I would want to rent points. For a solo traveler those DVC studios are great. I love having the kitchenette and a couch instead of a second bed. I started looking at the calendar and wanting to go at a slowish time, I settled on the weeks around Labor Day. I typically work from home on Wednesday’s and thought it would be easy to fly down on a Wednesday night and save a vacation day and get an early start the first day. Before I even booked anything, vacation creep happened and I decided to just take off Wednesday too. Knowing I would want to spend time at F&W I put in a rental request at just about the 11th month mark for BCV for 8/28 – 9/7.

After about a week I got an accepted offer and was officially booked at BCV. (my goddaughter in SAB from a previous trip)
702166-r1-044-20a_023-jpg.399328

Attachments

• 702166-R1-044-20A_023.jpg
    702166-R1-044-20A_023.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 473

NRL2003

Original Poster
Once the DVC points were confirmed I started checking for flights✈. I fly out of Newark so typically will stick with United. I found fights that I was happy with the price, so went ahead and booked those. I usually book economy but will keep an eye out for cheapish upgrades. Once I book I will stalk the United app looking for upgrades. As luck would have it, the very next day I saw a very cheap upgrade being offered so went ahead and booked first class. The benefits of first class are not just a nicer seat. Priority lanes at TSA (unless you have TSA pre check, that is a better option), priority boarding (no stress over getting overhead space). Food and drinks on board, including adult beverages.

When I travel I’m all about convenience, I will be a penny pincher all year, but on vacation, heck yeah I will spend more on the extras (as long as they are not too outrageously priced).

After the flights were booked I requested the DVC owner add ME to my reservation. I always rented a car and this would be the first time since 1994 I wouldn’t have a car. Which means this will be my first experience with ME. With 10 nights, I wanted a relaxing, not rope drop to close, touring schedule. I want lots of pool and down time at the resort. Who needs a car?

As January rolled around, I knew I had to start thinking about tickets and dining. I figured the Mouse would be looking to increase tickets soon as I heard about DL price increases. The company I work for offers a program where other employees can award you points for going above and beyond. With these points you can purchase items or gift cards, including Disney gift cards. I cashed in a bunch of points and purchased an 8 day ticket with gift cards. Shortly after, MNSSHP was announced and I went ahead and purchased that too, with gift cards.

So far so good with the trip planning, next thing would be 180 day mark and making my ADR's👍

NRL2003

Original Poster
So March1st rolled around and with that came my 180 day. I made several ADR’s at some of my old favorites and some new ones including:
Art Smith’s Homecomin’
Sci Fi
Boma
Via Napoli
O’hana
50’s Pt
Tony’s
Mama Melrose
Yak N Yeti
Liberty Tree Tavern

I do have a few meals planned for just wandering around F&W and looking forward to sampling most, if not all of the booths.

I was a bit disappointed in the Beaches & Cream rehab announcement – but what can you do.

I have continued to play around with some of these. I would like to move my Art Smith one to a bit of a later time, so I am stalking that one still. It’s for my arrival day and my original flight time was moved. I should still be ok, but it’s nice to have some breathing room.

All things considered, I was feeling pretty good about my trip, that was until THE ANNOUCEMENT...😧

NRL2003

Original Poster
For the first time in forever Disney was opening something ahead of schedule:rolleyes:. The one time I didn’t want that. But what can I do about it at this point, airfare booked, DVC points booked, park ticket bought and paid for. SWGE was opening the day after I checked in.

So I started looking at my plans and figured to just go with the flow. I had originally booked a non park hopping ticket. I decided it would behoove me to upgrade to a park hopper. Well if I did that, it was only about $30 more to add water park. I do love TL and thought instead of a 2nd day at DHS maybe a day at TL instead. Also, WDW announced the Sept schedule for DAH. I was already interested in going to the AK one and there was one during the time I was there.

I've decided to keep my DHS ADR’s and see what the first few days of SWGE would bring. I do love Star Wars. It was the first movie that I saw multiple times while still in the theatres. I remember those crazy lines in 1977 and didn’t mind standing in them at all. All this to say I’m curious but not crazy to stand in the late summer heat to get in.

With adding DAH AK, I didn’t need a 2nd AK day. Thought about a 2nd water park day, but then remembered there was always something I wanted to do and never got around to it... Gatorland.🐊

What was originally going to be a DHS day became a Gatorland day and my 2nd AK day became a TL day.

Oh, now remember those points from work, my boss nominated me and I won an award that came with 2000 points. I cashed more in and paid for a HEA dessert party, MNSSHP dessert party, DAH ticket and reserved an umbrella at TL. See this is where the Mouse gets me. I will pay more for convenience when traveling and all of the above fall into the more convenience bucket for me. They really are expert at separating you from your money.

NRL2003

Original Poster
Next up was my 60 day and more news from WDW about the changes to DHS FP’s.

I wanted 2 FP’s at DHS, ToT and SDD. (Reservations were also released for SWGE a few weeks ago. I was able to get 2 ADR’s for Oga’s. I have no interest in building a droid or lightsaber so didn’t bother attempting to get those.)

Back to FP’s... I had a dinner ADR for Sci Fi that became my Gatorland day so opted to go for ToT for that night right before my ADR time. Then I do have a DHS day scheduled later in the trip and went for SDD on that day. This ended up being one of the days I wa able to get OGA’s reserved for. It is late so it will be nice to see SWGE at night. Not expecting to ride Millennium Falcon but my curiosity will be satisfied by able to get into the land.

When I was done selecting my FP’s, I had no issues getting any of the FP’s I wanted, including FoP, SDMT, SDD. HMM, maybe it won’t be so crazy after all. Fingers crossed.🤞

I have an 8 day ticket plus MNSSHP ticket and I had no trouble reserving FP's for 9 days. I don't plan on going to a park prior to MNSSHP so was able to reserve 3 for that day as well.

Other miscellaneous items -
Since I am arriving via ME, I knew I wanted to place a delivery order. After some research decided on Dizzy Dolphin. Even if I forgot something or run low on something having the car in the middle of the trip will be handy. I did order the typical necessities, a case of water, breakfast items, snacks for pool / water park and a pool noodle.

I wasn’t renting a car this trip as I’m using ME and I figured I can just UBER it to Gatorland, right. But then I noticed I can get Alamo gift cards with those points from work and can pick it up from the Dolphin. So now I’m renting a car for the middle part of the trip. It will make Gatorland and TL travel much easier. I didn’t want to take the bus to TL (or at least back to the resort in a wet suit). I was thinking of UBER for that too, but not sure how many UBER drivers would be happy about a wet suit in their cars. And I’m staying on points so no resort parking fee.

One last item, I learned yesterday that the dessert party for the DHS Star Wars nighttime show (I forget the name) finally opened up for September and I was able to reserve a spot for one of my nights that I didn’t have any definite plans.

It is now less than 1 week to go. Packing to commence shortly:p

NRL2003

Original Poster
The suitcases are out! Thank goodness for access to washer and dryers at WDW. For a 10 night trip in the heat of late summer, I know will need multiple outfits each day. Also, multiple pairs of shoes. For me rotating shoes is key to happiness.🥿

I’m in my fifties, I have flat feet that require custom orthotics, my left knee has a torn meniscus and arthritis that requires a knee brace, my right foot has planter fasciitis that requires I wear a boot at night and my left foot has a morton’s neuroma. Middle age sucks LOL. 🙃It sounds worse than it is. It is all manageable but this is why there will be no rope drop to closing on my trip. I exercise 5-6 times a week and that is key. I would love to drop a few pounds but realistically that ain’t happening as I will never give up sugar. Rotating shoes makes a big difference on vacations. Wearing the same shoe/same type of shoe a couple days in a row is not a solution for me, no matter how comfortable or well made.

Doing laundry now to get the last few items I need to pack clean. My guest room looks like a bomb went off trying to figure out what is going to make the final cut. For business trips I can pack like a pro, but vacations I keep saying “what if”.

Other than that I am going to get the house cleaned today and that will leave only last minute cleaning/laundry on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. My flight is 11:30 on Wednesday.

I’m working Monday and Tuesday but not actually in the office, as I have to attend an offsite 2 day meeting. Friday was my last day in the actual office, which meant I already needed to get done what I needed to before leaving. It is nice to know that the last 2 working days should be a little less stressful,

Rista1313

You sound like me... be thrifty while your saving and then for the vacation portion, spend it on having a grand time! =D

Can't wait to read your TR!

NRL2003

Original Poster
One more day of work:D

A little more than 36 hours and I will be on my way to the airport.

United airlines has an invite only restaurant at Newark Airport. I vaguely remember hearing about it, but didn't give it a second thought. Well, as it turns out I received an invite yesterday for Wednesday morning. I decided to try it out. I made a reservation for an hour before boarding (required to gain access). The menu looks good and I have to eat breakfast. I was trying to figure out if I was going to eat at home or just grab something at the airport and this decided it for me. What the heck, something new to try and who knows if I'll ever get invited again:p

Rista1313

One more day of work:D

A little more than 36 hours and I will be on my way to the airport.

United airlines has an invite only restaurant at Newark Airport. I vaguely remember hearing about it, but didn't give it a second thought. Well, as it turns out I received an invite yesterday for Wednesday morning. I decided to try it out. I made a reservation for an hour before boarding (required to gain access). The menu looks good and I have to eat breakfast. I was trying to figure out if I was going to eat at home or just grab something at the airport and this decided it for me. What the heck, something new to try and who knows if I'll ever get invited again:p

I bet it's because of the first class upgrade you did.... yay for special treats!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom