Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Ripken10

Had an $185M opening weekend domestic:

Not the $200M I thought it might have but still solid opening weekend. Puts it at 7th all-time for the MCU,
I haven't seen any official numbers released yet (just Disney's 185 million estimate from yesterday), but I know I was reading something where experts were predicting we might see a better Sunday and end up at 190 million. Usually I see the official numbers by now (and thinking this will cause the official numbers to be released as I submit it...)

Ripken10

I haven't seen any official numbers released yet (just Disney's 185 million estimate from yesterday), but I know I was reading something where experts were predicting we might see a better Sunday and end up at 190 million. Usually I see the official numbers by now (and thinking this will cause the official numbers to be released as I submit it...)
Official numbers came in just north of 187.4 million

BrianLo

That's surprisingly strong, particularly based on the MCU lineage. I would not qualify this as an ensemble movie. It's technically the best performing non-ensemble or second if you want to count Black Panther (debatable). Overtaking Iron Man 3 and Civil War!

Proving for the millionth time the MCU is not near death.

I think Thor will overtake it.

doctornick

Blimey, that was quick.
They are going to undercut their box office revenue if they have such short windows. Granted for Marvel it might not be too bad as people often go to the theaters to avoid spoilers and be able to discuss the films but windows being short will lead to some to avoid the theater cost.

I’m assuming they wanted this on D+ before Thor releases?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They are going to undercut their box office revenue if they have such short windows. Granted for Marvel it might not be too bad as people often go to the theaters to avoid spoilers and be able to discuss the films but windows being short will lead to some to avoid the theater cost.

I’m assuming they wanted this on D+ before Thor releases?
The shortened window is to bolster their defenses in the Streaming Wars.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But surely that’s eating into their box office?
Doctor Strange's B.O. is dwindling quickly. Its B+ CineScore indicates it's not going to get a lot of repeat customers. Other blockbusters coming out will eat into that even more. Not to mention that the longer a movie is in the theaters, the studio gets less and less of the receipts.

Remember, for Disney the corporation, Disney+ is the company's top priority (as stated by both Bobs). They're running it in the red as a loss-leader so that when the streaming wars are done, they'll be number 1 or 2, and they won't be at the mercy of (cable TV) cord-cutting.

Like the drones of a social insect hive, every member sacrifices itself to protect the queen. All hail, Queen Disney+!!!

Fox&Hound

Maybe I am the wrong audience for this movie, but I thought it was awful. Difficult to follow, a narrative mess, the story was just all over the place with characters that did not seem very well-developed. I miss when you could see a movie and enjoy it rather than having to see the ten that came before it in order just to understand who the characters are and what is happening.

Also, I love Wanda and her story arc in WandaVision and this movie presented a different version of her than we have come to know and love.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Also, I love Wanda and her story arc in WandaVision and this movie presented a different version of her than we have come to know and love.
In WV, she did the bad things because of overwhelming grief and trauma. In the end, she realized she was wrong.

But, in the post-credit scene, she was reading The Darkhold which corrupts the user. Two of the Doctor Strange variants were corrupted by it. Agatha was corrupted by it. An AI in Agents of Shield was corrupted by it. So... Wanda was corrupted by it. It played on her grief and led her to double down on ending her grief no matter the cost. In the end, she realized she was wrong and destroyed it.

MarvelCharacterNerd

In WV, she did the bad things because of overwhelming grief and trauma. In the end, she realized she was wrong.

But, in the post-credit scene, she was reading The Darkhold which corrupts the user. Two of the Doctor Strange variants were corrupted by it. Agatha was corrupted by it. An AI in Agents of Shield was corrupted by it. So... Wanda was corrupted by it. It played on her grief and led her to double down on ending her grief no matter the cost. In the end, she realized she was wrong and destroyed it.

It was literally a repeat of what we'd just seen on Disney+...

In WandaVision, a grieving Wanda causes problems that break reality. In DSMM, a grieving Wanda causes problems that break reality. Plus sprinkle in the What If Doctor Strange/Zombies/Captain Carter episodes. And oh yeah, a kid who can punch holes in the universe because reasons.

Honestly, my visits with Wanda and America Chavez at Avengers Campus were lots more fun than watching them onscreen! lol

Hopefully Love & Thunder is better (though I won't be seeing it until it gets to Disney+). But Ragnarok worked because it was a surprise and it dialed up Thor to an 11. Love & Thunder looks like it's dialing up Ragnarok to an 11 and I'm not sure how that will work. *fingers crossed*

erasure fan1

I just watched it last night. I'm not really sure what it is, but something was a bit off with it. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't crazy wowed by it when it ended. Maybe it is the fact that the Wanda storyline, like others have said, was just too similar to the Wanda vision show. I'll need to watch it again for sure.

fractal

My 2 cents.

This was a mashup of the Dr. Strange "What if?" episode and a sequel to Wandavision. I would have preferred if it had more "What if" and less Wandavision (which I enjoyed).

The taking out of the alternate Marvel heroes by Wanda/Scarlet Witch was shockingly fun to watch. The amount of CGI was also shocking but in a bad way, especially after seeing Top Gun Maverick. All of these superhero movies are starting to look more and more like cartoons.

Looking forward to Thor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom