Do you try new restaurants when you go to the world? What's one you keep saying you're going to try.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So one of the pictures on the home screen is a great one of skippers canteen and I realized we never ate there. Then I realized that we tend to frequent the same places over and over.

Do you make it a point to try new places? or do you tend to stick with the old reliables? What's one place you want to try out?

Raineman

We're restaurant loyalists at WDW. We found the places we liked during our first trip as a family, and keep returning. There have been a couple that we went to once, and one or more of us didn't really like them, but the rest are "must-dos" every time. For us, it's always BoG, Yak & Yeti, Teppan Edo, 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine In. We've tried Tony's Town Square, Tusker House, Akershus, Cinderella's Royal Table, Rainforest Cafe at DAK and San Angel Inn once each, and San Angel is the only one we will probably return to out of those.

Last edited:

belledream

We’re always looking to try new restaurants with every trip. We’ll sit down one day and read through all the menus looking for specific menu items we want to try, but also weighing that versus location and atmosphere. We’ve worked our way around World Showcase pretty well over the years, but always end up missing La Hacienda. One of these days!

The only place we always make a point to visit at least once is Be Our Guest. I need my ballroom fix!

Qscout

Bit of both really, we always book into Sanaa, as its just the two of us we find the whole lodge experience perfect for a "date night", cocktails, the campfire, great food in sanaa, seeing the animals outside.

Then we also try new places, keep trying to get the restaurant at three cabelleros but not been able to get reservation yet. Maybe in 2021.

Schneewittchen

I'm a little bit of both. We have old reliables - Skipper Canteen, Chefs de France, San Angel Inn, Restaurant Marrakesh, Yak & Yeti for TS... Pecos Bill's, Katsura Grill, Fairfax Fare, Satu'li Canteen for QS....

And a long list of places we've enjoyed and are always willing to try again.

But we tend to try at least one new place per trip. There are a handful of places I'd like to try - Via Napoli, Rose and Crown, California Grill, Citricos.

Schneewittchen

You've got me thinking. I just looked at my 3 upcoming trips:

Nothing new in December - just tried and true Hollywood& Vine, Chefs de France and Skipper Canteen.

More reliable stuff in February - Akershus, Be Our Guest, 'Ohana, Hoop Dee Doo.

In April, more of the same - San Angel Inn, Skipper Canteen (again, DH loves this place), Yak & Yeti, Le Cellier, Biergarten. The only new thing is Via Napoli....

Jon81uk

Trouble is the more we try, the more places there are we want to go back to.

San Angel was a one and done I think. I'm glad we did 'Ohana last trip for the first time, we will be back.

Still not tried but want to includes Kona Café and Jiko (we did Tiffins last trip and wished we picked Jiko instead).

Schneewittchen

Trouble is the more we try, the more places there are we want to go back to.

San Angel was a one and done I think. I'm glad we did 'Ohana last trip for the first time, we will be back.

Still not tried but want to includes Kona Café and Jiko (we did Tiffins last trip and wished we picked Jiko instead).
This may sound crazy considering the bad reviews lately, but I think Kona is really good! You should go for it!

I went there for lunch on a whim a couple of weeks ago. MK was a hot mess, it was lunchtime, and the lines for every QS seemed insane so we grabbed a last minute ADR and hopped on the monorail. It was quiet, our server was fantastic and everyone loved the food. We had sushi, mahi BLT's and amazing cocktails. After lunch DH took a nap (like I said, great cocktails) and I took the kids to the pool at our resort.

pvtim

We generally tend to stick to the "Old reliables". For a short 5 day trip we have our current must do choices: Art Smith's, 'Ohana and Kona for breakfast.

On the other hand we also make it a point to try one new restaurant, ride/show and experience on each trip. Our upcoming trip includes Hoop Dee Doo and Narcoosee's for the first time.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We definitely have some go to places each time and depending on the trip we do add in a new one or two whether its QS or TS or both.
Our last trip we tried Contempo Cafe for the first time as we were staying at CR.
The trip prior to that which was last December we tried Big River Grille and The Wave.
Our next trip which isn't until August we may or may not try Space 220.
When we went with the whole family we usually stuck to the same favorites that we all knew we'd like such as Sci-fi and Chef Mickey's. We haven't been to those in a few years now.
Some of our current go to's are BOG for lunch, Cosmic Ray's, Earl of Sandwich, and Le Cellier.

Weather_Lady

We like to have a variety -- at least 1/3 of our meals at places we haven't tried before, with some TS, some CS, and no two alike in terms of the type of food served. Looking forward to first times at Sanaa, Jiko and San Angel Inn next trip.

We used to mix in buffet/family-style TS as well, but those have now become too expensive to be worth it for us, so now the mix includes only a la carte TS, and a higher percentage of CS than we used to do. There's still a ton of variety to be had, though, and we enjoy trying new restaurants as we consider a meal to be just another kind of park "attraction." ;)

Last edited:

ppet

We have some standbys but we try to incorporate one or two new places each trip. This trip we added Yak and Yeti, Docking Bay, and ronto wraps. Yak and Yeti was great, Ronto was awesome, Docking bay was ok. Of our standbys Chef de France was most disappointing. I will probably drop it on next trip. We also tried Les Halles for breakfast and loved it.

Plowboy

We have our "tried and true" fav's Biergarten & Boma (on our last morning) and Big River Grille (first night/late night dinner). We also have Sanaa, Chef de France, Kona Cafe, Olivia's, Raglan Road, Turf Club that are on a sort of rotation (every other trip or so) and we have special ones like Jiko for our upcoming April anniversary trip. We also have ones that we did once and would never do again like Tony's. Tasted like Chef Boyardee. There are a couple that I am interested in that we just haven't gotten around to (in 30 years of going! ) Brown Derby & Narcoosee's.

So many restaurants, so little time!!!

Nottamus

Sometimes I look at the menus to guide which new place to eat...
Last trip, since we stayed at CCV, I was led to Roaring Fork for five banana foster for breakfast...

big swing and a miss on that one for me....just didn’t seem “right”.

Yak And Yeti is strong “every trip”meal stop...as is Boma, neither of which is on my next Trip’s agenda yet. Yet .

yedliW

As a relatively new Disney Parks nerd (my first real trip was in 2012), I had the mindset of not repeating a dining experience (going to breakfast at one place is not the same as going to dinner there..), but now that we have been a few times, (and still only repeated one experience, dinner at LTT), I am starting to identify meals I would do (and even looking forward to) again. This list includes Boma (breakfast or dinner), Storybook Dining, and Germany.

One place I still want to do that we haven't yet is Skipper's Canteen, but the rest of the family is rather shy when it comes to food, so it is going to be a hard sell..

HouCuseChickie

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but food inconsistency has made it difficult for us to be loyalists. So, the only places where we've stayed loyal are ones where we also are going for the experience. Crystal Palace breakfast and Sanaa are really the only ones left on our "must do" list for family trips at this point. That being said, we also like to add in a lot of new stuff because the trips start feeling really stale if we do the same things every time. I do still have a few things I've wanted to try, just because we run out of time or things don't work with our plans. I'm getting in some of them for my trip in January.

- Boma Breakfast (still on the fence about this, because I may just want to head out to cheer on runners)
- Jiko
- Skipper Canteen

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We try to go to a restaurant we haven’t before every 2 or 3 trips. We talked about going to Garden GrilL for years and never did. Finally tried it last trip. Good character interaction and the food was decent. Dessert was great. We can go for 14 days and not hit all of everyone’s favorites. It’s easy to get in a rut and given the cost one can be reluctant to try something different. Biergarten is next in the list of places to try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom