Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

Rumrunner

Or let's say during Iger reign. If you did a first time visit say during the last 5-10 years or would you think it was a step above a carnival or state fair?
The place is still special but the changes and cost have become difficult to justify. I am concerned about the direction Iger has taken the Disney brand and he seems to have little appreciate of Disney traditions.

Smiley/OCD

I don't agree. I think a fair number are losing patience with recent changes. I've seen plenty say they aren't going nearly as often as they used to, and are only waiting for X to open to give it one more chance. I'm not sure I would be as big a fan if I walked in today for the first time ever.
I don't agree. I think a fair number are losing patience with recent changes. I've seen plenty say they aren't going nearly as often as they used to, and are only waiting for X to open to give it one more chance. I'm not sure I would be as big a fan if I walked in today for the first time ever.

I don't think that's a fair answer...If a person went for the first time 5-10 years ago, and just recently went again, chances are they wouldn't be a regular reader of these threads...to the average once or twice visitor, IMO, they would be (for the most part) satisfied with the parks in 2018. Considering the additions made with TSL, and the additions still being made, I think they would love the parks. The average park goer is not a "doom & gloomer" like MANY of the writers on these threads. I STILL say that much of what makes your vacation to Disney is what you put into it...if you're entering the gates with a preconceived notion that you're not going to have a good time, and spent the visit LOOKING for something wrong...GUESS WHAT? You're going to find something wrong...probably lots of things wrong. I'm a firm believer that you get out of a visit largely what you put into it.

My first visit was in 1993 on my honeymoon...I enjoyed my last visit in November 2017 MORE than that first visit. Yes, there were attractions open then that aren't there now, 20K leagues, Mr Toad, and subsequent visits, the original Soarin', Innoventions, etc. but I'm not getting out of our truck in the resort parking lot with a puss on my face because they're not there anymore. It's kinda a glass half full/ half empty problem. I happen to live my life looking for the good and trying to tune out the bad. If everyone would do that, many guests visits would have MUCH better stay at WDW.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Yes. Because of proximity. And also I would be unfamiliar with the BI (before Iger) experience. So I'd really only be able to base it on Uni, Busch, SeaWorld, Six Flags, and Canada's Wonderland (the only other parks I've really been to). And to me, Disney still offered more in that time frame. Especially, if it was a pre-Potter Uni in 2009.

Deano77

I went often as a kid, took my wife for her first time (+2 year old at the time). Never imagined being a Disney family... well 3 trips and a few Annual Passes later pretty hooked haha. The look on our kids face, is all that matters, not to mention we have never really had a bad experience and truly enjoy the “magic!”

TwilightZone

If your first trip was today, you most likely wouldn't even know about the recent changes.
Source: non-uber fans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolutely! We enjoy it now more than ever. To be fair, we don't have to budget for vacations anymore. There was a time when we had to watch every penny. Now we can do whatever we want to. Maybe that's a factor in my current love of the place.

But with crowds and ride rationing...you CANT Do what you want. It’s not just about money.

I can’t say for sure what I would think now. But If i had walked in in 1978, 1988, 1998 or even 2008 I have no doubt it would be a different feel than now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The place is still special but the changes and cost have become difficult to justify. I am concerned about the direction Iger has taken the Disney brand and he seems to have little appreciate of Disney traditions.

I think this is very fair...because it’s an abstract assessment.

None of us can “see it for the first time today”...so this is very much a toss around topic (not a bad one though)

True: newer fans have no idea what it “used to be like”...so they don’t care. But I find that mentality dangerous to all of us as consumers of the same product. Individual choices lead to group policy...and those of us that do see bad trends aren’t wrong for pointing out the danger in that. As longs as it’s an attempt to be fair.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I still would be, but I would have different view of things such as DHS since I would have no clue on what DHS was before my first trip or know the age of the shows. I would not have as much passion about Future World either. My view on AK wouldn't change though because AK did not have the changes as the other 3 parks due to age of it.

Keep in mind that I first went to WDW in the early 1990s and I went 3 times from 1991 to 1997. I went back to WDW in the 2000s and this decade. I first saw Indiana Jones stunt show during my first WDW trip back in the early 1990s. I first saw Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage on my 2nd time to WDW in the 1990s.

Back in the 1990s DHS as Disney MGM Studios was used differently by Disney than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Disney did live productions and created Animated movies at Disney MGM studios back in the 1990s and early 2000s. Backlot Tour was past its prime 10 years ago.

Future World in the early 1990s was outstanding and would've missed out on the glory years of Future World if I first went 5 or 10 years
ago I am saying that because Imagination still had the original ride in the early 1990s and experience communicore or the 1997 version of Innoventions with Sega.

I also wouldn't have known about Wonders of life with first hand experience if I only first went to WDW 5 or 10 years ago.

erasure fan1

I'm sure If my first time going was now, I would think it's leaps and bounds above other parks. Would it be enough to give me the same connection I have now? Probably not. If my first vacation was now, and I went to the studios, That alone might make me not care. It's hard to say 100% how I would feel. But I really think the cost and the obscene amount of planning would make me just say, meh.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I don't think that's a fair answer...If a person went for the first time 5-10 years ago, and just recently went again, chances are they wouldn't be a regular reader of these threads...to the average once or twice visitor, IMO, they would be (for the most part) satisfied with the parks in 2018. Considering the additions made with TSL, and the additions still being made, I think they would love the parks. The average park goer is not a "doom & gloomer" like MANY of the writers on these threads. I STILL say that much of what makes your vacation to Disney is what you put into it...if you're entering the gates with a preconceived notion that you're not going to have a good time, and spent the visit LOOKING for something wrong...GUESS WHAT? You're going to find something wrong...probably lots of things wrong. I'm a firm believer that you get out of a visit largely what you put into it.

My first visit was in 1993 on my honeymoon...I enjoyed my last visit in November 2017 MORE than that first visit. Yes, there were attractions open then that aren't there now, 20K leagues, Mr Toad, and subsequent visits, the original Soarin', Innoventions, etc. but I'm not getting out of our truck in the resort parking lot with a puss on my face because they're not there anymore. It's kinda a glass half full/ half empty problem. I happen to live my life looking for the good and trying to tune out the bad. If everyone would do that, many guests visits would have MUCH better stay at WDW.
so true! haha. So many "doom and gloomers" on this site. So many negative writers trying to let people down. I agree with this guy so much lol.

EricsBiscuit

I took a few of my family members including a cousin's wife's sister from Peru (her first time to FL and WDW) a couple days ago to MK. All my family had an amazing time including our Peruvian who was dazzle by the fireworks and AAs and everything being so beautiful. If you've never seen anything like it it definitely is amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom