Do you think you will ever enjoy Epcot again??

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
One issue that seems to reoccur with Epcot is one of not adhering to the original theme and stuff not "belonging".
Is this a major deterrent for the park??
I don't foresee an "about face" with Disney so when all the construction and updates are finished, can Epcot still be a great park without a so called coherent theme?

Last edited:

HoldenC

Considering the only Epcot I have known is the 2008 to present Epcot, which I used to love but now find dull, I have no reason to doubt I will enjoy whatever it transforms into. I just hate so much I never got to experience the real EPCOT Center.

KaliSplash

My wife and I were at Epcot Center at the end of October, 1982. We were fascinated. But we also noticed a distinct lack of "Magic." WDW overcame that fairly quickly by adding characters, etc. Do I like all the changes in the last 10 years or so and projected for the next 5 or so? Not really. But I am not bothered by them, at least yet. (Ask aain after a planned trip next month). Yes, it's certainly not what it was originally, but Walt himself said it would be constantly changing. (And he died long before it opened). So I am not worried about change, for change's sake. I jusst want good stuff to replace the material being removed. The Seas has been improved with the exception of the removal of the introductory film that I think may have been called "The Seas." (In one of the preshow rooms.) Soaring has been a wonderful addition to The Land, though I miss Kitchen Kaberet. (sp?) Journey has struggled. I like Test Track, though I miss The World of Motion. I love Space, though I miss Horizons. Not sure what to think yet about Guardians. Little has changed in World Showcase, though the changes that have been made are generally good.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I enjoy it now.

While I do miss the original 1982 style EPCOT Center with its plethora of 20 minute dark rides, sense of wonder, etc., I still enjoy the more traditional "Disney" style theme park it has become.

What is was is gone. It is never coming back. Lamenting over it excessively is an exercise in futility.

Heppenheimer

Neither Walt's original concept nor the initial realization of Epcot were sustainable as a theme park. Both relied on a type of cross-corporate partnership that has becoming much more rare today. Plus, the whole idea of "better living through (corporate R&D developed) technology" probably has far less appeal to the average Disney World guest of the present. In this day and political environment, can you imagine if Disney were to re-release something like "Monsanto's House of the Future" (Yes, I know this was an attraction of Tomorrowland at Disneyland, but it was built in the same spirit of Epcot)? Greenpeace would probably accuse Disney of genocide before the press release was even finished. For a non-Disney example of how out of fashion these sort of things have become today, when was the last time you got excited about an upcoming World's Fair? I had to look it up in Wikipedia to realize that these events even still exist (although they call them "Expos" now).

So, although I miss the spirit of old Epcot, both in its hope for the future and its exploration of the wider world, the people have clearly voted with their feet. They want to be entertained in a familiar way. I would much rather have a loosely-themed but well-attended park than a crumbling relic of another time that gets mostly ignored (and by extension, causes that much more crowding at the other parks).

With a few exceptions, I have rarely been disappointed by the various changes Disney has made over the years, so I suspect I will enjoy the new Epcot just as much as the old.

JIMINYCR

Never thought it was that bad, always thought it could have been improved upon, still works for me. But Yes EP can still be seen as a great park without perfect theming. Very few people who go to EP really care how its themed or how it differs from Walts original ideas, or how its put together. I'd say the majority of guests care that the dining is quality, the pavilion give them a decent representation of the countries, and there are working attractions. They are paying for an entertaining day and they get it. The only ones who want perfection in EP will never get it.

OneofThree

I just hate so much I never got to experience the real EPCOT Center.

I saw it for the first time in 1984, and get chills remembering it -like it was yesterday. 😍 Not sure I "don't enjoy it" at all now, but the stagnation of World Showcase and lack of any coherency in future world are issues which really makes this park a lesser experience than the others right now.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its always been fun and enjoyable for my wife and I. EPCOT center at its core was unsustainable being essentially static and inflexible. Build it once and mold everything around what infrastructure is available.... a veritable "Field of Dreams" approach.

Watching it evolve beyond an aging relic of the past is great.

danyoung56

.... can you imagine if Disney were to re-release something like "Monsanto's House of the Future" ? Greenpeace would probably accuse Disney of genocide before the press release was even finished.

For the life of me I can't come up with a tie-in between the House of the Future and genocide. . . . .

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For the life of me I can't come up with a tie-in between the House of the Future and genocide. . . . .
I'll give you this one for free.

Disney: In the house of the future we grow our own GMO crops that have been engineered to resists pests without the need for pesticides.

Greenpeace: OMG!!! ALL THE CHEMICALS!!! GMOS KILL THE PLANET!!!! THINK OF THE BEES!!!

Heppenheimer

Neither can I, but Greenpeace activists seem to throw that and similar inflammatory terms about at the mere mention of the company Monsanto. The response is almost Pavlovian.

Last edited:

FettFan

One issue that seems to reoccur with Epcot is one of not adhering to the original theme and stuff not "belonging".
Is this a major deterrent for the park??
I don't foresee an "about face" with Disney so when all the construction and updates are finished, can Epcot still be a great park without a so called coherent theme?

The sad thing is....I'll probably enjoy it.

But at the same time, I'll complain about it not living up to the ideals of Epcot center.

Which actually makes me part of the problem.

I'm essentially the Walrus.
images

I weep for you,' the Walrus said:
I deeply sympathize.'
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief

Before his streaming eyes.

C&D

Still our favorite park. Even if just for a walk-about, we sometimes visit multiple times the same day; granted we generally stay at the Beach Club Villas so it's close and walkable. And granted, we are Disney veterans with multiple visits so it's more about being there than seeing new stuff (all the time). Just an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom