Do you think the new movies hurt Disney in the end?

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
Disney's been doing a lot of direct to video released lately, and worse... seem to be concentrating wholly on sequels. These have templated storylines and artwork that makes hanna barbara look good.
Don't know what I'm talking about, here's some of them:
1. Cinderella 2, Great name..... why even do this other than to milk a classic.
2. Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, another winner.
3. 101 Dalmations the Animated Sequel, Did they pay someone to actually come up with this name?

These are being churned out repeatedly. Do you think that these hurt Disney's image. Even the basic Disney cartoon like Duck Tales had better production values than the direct-to-video dreck that the company seems content to release. I know these forums try not to get too down... but after seeing the trailers for Cinderella 2 and 101 Dalmations the Animated Sequel... I just had to speak out.

General Grizz

I like Cinderella 2...mainly because it is about a CONTINUANCE of the old story and not some new daughter/son parallel kinda-action goin' on...but there are TOO MANY sequels coming out now...and they don't seem to be getting all that much attention.

TD Mickey

I think when Disney does a sequel, it is almost follows the same plot as the original, just with different characters. Like Lady and Tramp 2 and Lion King 2. I just don't think they become classics like the original and just doesn't keep the attention as what the original does. But no matter what, I will always be at the Disney store pre ordering all the movies that I can.

Goofalicious

I don't think the new movies will hurt disney much. Granted, they aren't quite as good as the Classics, but they are still getting my interest. I was so psyched when I saw the first preview for Peter Pan 2 coming out on Feb. 15. As for Lilo and Stitch...I don't even know what to think, it has such a different look to it. What do you think?

Pioneer Hall

They need to Keep Walt's origionals untouched. If they don't have any other Ideas but Cinderella 2 and Dumbo 2 (coming soon) then the Disney Movie Industry is in Trouble. What's Next...Pinocchio and Monstro the Pet Whale?

NowInc

You have to realize that Disney is pumping out these sequals with only KIDS in mind. If they wanted to appeal to a broader audience, youd see them in the theaters. From what I have observed, kids really dont care what the cartoon is about as long as it has disney stuff in it....

Is it hurting disney...no....it makes them better in the eyes of kids..which still is, and always will be..their primary target audience.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by NowInc
You have to realize that Disney is pumping out these sequals with only KIDS in mind. If they wanted to appeal to a broader audience, youd see them in the theaters. From what I have observed, kids really dont care what the cartoon is about as long as it has disney stuff in it....

Is it hurting disney...no....it makes them better in the eyes of kids..which still is, and always will be..their primary target audience.

This is true, but I still think it is a hit to the Disney legacy. But kids don't care about that.

frazierle

I do not believe it is hurting Disney. My son and daughter had no interest in some of the older classic's till they saw the newer ones. Since my son has seen the trailer for Peter Pan 2 we have watched the original almost every night for the last 2 weeks. I think it's good marketing.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by frazierle
I do not believe it is hurting Disney. My son and daughter had no interest in some of the older classic's till they saw the newer ones. Since my son has seen the trailer for Peter Pan 2 we have watched the original almost every night for the last 2 weeks. I think it's good marketing.

I think Peter Pan is a good sequel because Disney isn't aking it up. It was written in a book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom