Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

Can Disney world and / or Orange County impose a quarantine requirement on visitors from Miami-Dade county? I mean Disney world technically has its own incorporated government entity / town so I don’t see why they couldn’t pass a local ordinance
By Florida Law, no. Even the quarantine orders for out of state visitors was/is probably not enforceable by Florida law. The law requires that a person is "reasonably believed to have been exposed to a communicable disease," in order for them to be quarantined. Living in a county where less than 1% of the population is infected at any given time is not enough to "reasonably believe" that they have been exposed.

Disstevefan1

But that's the point -- Getting there, leaving there, eating there -- those are all parts of the equation. Closing Disney World wouldn't be a "punishment" for their own actions. It would simply be recognition that getting there, leaving there, dining there and near there, etc -- are all high risks.

I hear you. Point A is perfectly safe but leaving your home to get to point A is unsafe.

By that logic, we should never leave your home and while the lockdown did an excellent job of reducing spread just how long must be locked in our homes?

Many are fortunate to be able to work from home, but there are many folks, like WDW cast members that simply can’t.

There are no easy answers here...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Been away for a couple weeks, how have the parks been doing? Any important updates to what has been going on at the parks?
The parks are open and empty. So far so good on the virus front. They did need to clarify the mask rules to close some loopholes. Outside of that no issues that I have seen reported other than lighter than expected and hoped for attendance.

arich35

The parks are open and empty. So far so good on the virus front. They did need to clarify the mask rules to close some loopholes. Outside of that no issues that I have seen reported other than lighter than expected and hoped for attendance.

I assume no news on things that are currently closed or not happening at the parks?

havoc315

I hear you. Point A is perfectly safe but leaving your home to get to point A is unsafe.

By that logic, we should never leave your home and while the lockdown did an excellent job of reducing spread just how long must be locked in our homes?

Many are fortunate to be able to work from home, but there are many folks, like WDW cast members that simply can’t.

There are no easy answers here...

No. The logic is — reduce travel to what is essential. It’s not all or none. A local trip to the supermarket or a local trip to the doctor is very different than flying/ driving for hours to ride Splash Mountain.

Agreed there are no easy answers. But it’s low wage employees that have the least options. Any real closure policy includes financial assistance to affected workers (including enhanced unemployment).

By being “open,” you’re taking any real choice. Those who are “fortunate” can still choose to stay home, reduce risks. But Disney cast members... can no longer qualify for assistance. so it’s either risk Covid by serving Dolewhip or go bankrupt and get evicted.

No, there are no easy answers, but economic activity needs to be measured on a scale of multiple factors:
1. How widespread is the virus. (More wide spread must mean clamp down more on activity)
2. how essential vs luxury is the activity. A grocery store is different than a bowling alley. A school is more essential than a movie theater.
3. How high risk is the activity for transmission. A bar is more dangerous than a golf course. A theme park is more dangerous than a nature trail.

Based on a weighing of factors, theme parks should be among the very last things to be open. They are purely luxury businesses. They have fairly high risk of disease spread (as they include dining, travel, etc).

Let’s put is this way.... which is more important, theme parks over the summer or school in the fall?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I assume no news on things that are currently closed or not happening at the parks?
The only update I saw was that they delayed opening multiple resorts that were going to open in August. I believe Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly and Art of Animation were all pushed back or delayed indefinitely. The parks are still open the same hours as originally listed but Universal cut back their hours and there is at least some rumblings of parks possibly going to less than 7 days a week open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom