Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Miss Bella

If I took the total income of the entire state of Florida and divided it by the number of citizens I guarantee there would be a nice living wage for every person. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a large number of unemployed, underemployed, homeless, and poverty stricken citizens. It's just the opposite. Stats can be used to cover problems just as easily as to identify them.
That is an apples to oranges comparison. Hospital availability is straight forward, but it does change by the minute.

VaderTron

If I took the total income of the entire state of Florida and divided it by the number of citizens I guarantee there would be a nice living wage for every person. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a large number of unemployed, underemployed, homeless, and poverty stricken citizens. It's just the opposite. Stats can be used to cover problems just as easily as to identify them.
The point is, yes many people may be OK financially when you look at the whole, but many are suffering.

Similarly, on the whole the state of FL may have available beds TODAY, but that doesn't mean there haven't been days when people with serious health issues have had to be turned away or sent elsewhere, thus impacting their level of care and perhaps their portion of responsibility to pay. Many insurance companies require that you seek medical attention at in-network facilities. Otherwise, your payment is significantly more.

There are so many issues that are being ignored rather than investigated. Why? Because you are not affected (at the moment) since you do not need hospital care. Damn the ones who do, I need my life back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

legwand77

Not sure why I need to address that, um ok? Like I have been saying all along some hospitals are very busy, especially in south Florida/Miami Dade.

VaderTron

Boyfriend used to be an emt, they had to take heart patients to the hospitals that could take heart patients, even if it was the furthest away. (not all hospitals are equipped for heart attacks/ cardiovascular emergencies.) So if they couldn't find an available bed for this person, I'm not surprised.
All of the hospitals in the city had superior heart centers than the rural hospital they were taken to. The issue was lack of availability at the time. Recall that hospitals have been converting beds to increase their ICU capacity. It's one of those things that the posters of the "available bed" stats are ignoring. They have increased ICU beds for Covid-19 patients by DECREASING beds for other uses, such as heart trauma beds. On paper the hospital has room for an emergency. Unfortunately this patient had "the wrong illness" and couldn't be accommodated, an issue that wouldn't have existed with lower numbers of Covid-19 in the region.

havoc315

We already had a hard core lockdown and it didn't work.

No, Florida never did a hard core lock down. They did a belated soft lock down which they then prematurely lifted.
To this day, there is no statewide mask mandate.

Let's take a look at actual facts:
No statewide "stay at home" order until April 1st. By April 17th, beaches started to re-open. By late April/early May, the State was "re-opening." By mid May, very few restrictions were still in place at all.

So what was the effect of this short-term soft lockdown?

Capture.PNG

Look at that..... cases were declining as a result of the lockdown. Then the decline stopped almost as soon as the lockdown ended... and as more restrictions were lifted, and people became less careful... the numbers took off. But we very clearly see that the numbers started to decline a week or two into the lockdown.

A harder lockdown, extended for another 2-6 weeks, would have basically wiped the virus out of the state.

If we want to be precise.. on April 1st, the 7-day rolling average of new cases was 828. It peaked on April 7th at 1143. Then we started to see the benefit of the lockdown -- by April 30th, the 7-day average was 578. Then the lockdown was prematurely ended... by May 15th, the 7-day average was up to 705... by May 31, it was 757. By June 15 it was 1774, by June 30th, 2 months after the end of the lockdown, it was 6990. It is currently 11,172..

So those are the facts -- Even the short soft lockdown brought down the cases significantly. It was working, and then ended prematurely.

oceanbreeze77

Recall that hospitals have been converting beds to increase their ICU capacity. It's one of those things that the posters of the "available bed" stats are ignoring. They have increased ICU beds for Covid-19 patients be DECREASING beds for other uses, such as heart trauma beds. On paper the hospital has room for an emergency.
This is a good point

DisneyDebRob

No, Florida never did a hard core lock down. They did a belated soft lock down which they then prematurely lifted.
To this day, there is no statewide mask mandate.

Let's take a look at actual facts:
No statewide "stay at home" order until April 1st. By April 17th, beaches started to re-open. By late April/early May, the State was "re-opening." By mid May, very few restrictions were still in place at all.

So what was the effect of this short-term soft lockdown?

View attachment 485557

Look at that..... cases were declining as a result of the lockdown. Then the decline stopped almost as soon as the lockdown ended... and as more restrictions were lifted, and people became less careful... the numbers took off. But we very clearly see that the numbers started to decline a week or two into the lockdown.

A harder lockdown, extended for another 2-6 weeks, would have basically wiped the virus out of the state.

If we want to be precise.. on April 1st, the 7-day rolling average of new cases was 828. It peaked on April 7th at 1143. Then we started to see the benefit of the lockdown -- by April 30th, the 7-day average was 578. Then the lockdown was prematurely ended... by May 15th, the 7-day average was up to 705... by May 31, it was 757. By June 15 it was 1774, by June 30th, 2 months after the end of the lockdown, it was 6990. It is currently 11,172..

So those are the facts -- Even the short soft lockdown brought down the cases significantly. It was working, and then ended prematurely.
What would anyone have to believe if they thought Florida or many other states had a hard core lockdown. It’s blows my mind. Ask some countries what a hard core lock down is. In the states I think people think when the bars are closed is hard core.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

All of the hospitals in the city had superior heart centers than the rural hospital they were taken to. The issue was lack of availability at the time. Recall that hospitals have been converting beds to increase their ICU capacity. It's one of those things that the posters of the "available bed" stats are ignoring. They have increased ICU beds for Covid-19 patients by DECREASING beds for other uses, such as heart trauma beds. On paper the hospital has room for an emergency. Unfortunately this patient had "the wrong illness" and couldn't be accommodated, an issue that wouldn't have existed with lower numbers of Covid-19 in the region.
If your fiend would have had a heart attack she would have been stabilized and transferred to a hospital with a higher level care. This occurs all the time. You are using an anecdotal case to prove your point which is ridiculous. Obviously the EMTs were correct in their assessment.

havoc315

It also didnt help you had people out en mass protesting. But the experts will claim those didn't hurt the numbers because it's against the agenda

Nonsense. I agree there was some hypocrisy from some liberal commentators and a handful of purported public health experts, but the vast majority of experts agreed that the protests could contribute to significant viral spread.

The studies suggest the protests were not a major contributor to viral spread. Though studies have suggested it may simply be that increased spread among protestors may have been countered by those who decreased their activity, due to the protests.

havoc315

What would anyone have to believe if they thought Florida or many other states had a hard core lockdown. It’s blows my mind. Ask some countries what a hard core lock down is. In the states I think people think when the bars are closed is hard core.

Some states were harder/softer than others, but no state was truly having a true hard core lock down. The definition of essential services was kept very broad, for the most part, people weren't prohibited from leaving their homes. Infected individuals were told to self-isolate at home, not dragged away to solitary isolation dorms.

rle4lunch

If true its disgusting and makes me angry these parks are doing this to their employees. No wonder cases are out of control. Here when a business has an employee that it positive they shut down for a day and do cleaning. They also let people who have been to said business they may have come in contact with a person with Covid-19. For some reason none of the parks have any interest in doing that.

No one is making them work there. Just devils advocate.

Lilofan

What’s the unemployment rate in those states?
Several weeks ago Central Florida counties had high unemployment rates. Orange had 23% and Osceola had 32%. The state of Georgia takes the prize with 43% of residents applying for unemployment a few months ago.

Miss Bella

Several weeks ago Central Florida counties had high unemployment rates. Orange had 23% and Osceola had 32%. The state of Georgia takes the prize with 43% of residents applying for unemployment a few months ago.
Yikes. The last time I checked ours it was 8.8%. The new numbers come out the end of the month. I’m expecting it to go lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom