Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

On the Windermere thing, you will get some extreme, unintelligent reactions when you impose the extreme measures that were done back in April. I've always said that if, at the very beginning, all businesses were allowed to operate with distancing and reduced capacity then you wouldn't have this type of backlash. Face coverings would have been widely accepted as a follow on when the CDC recommended them if they were presented as a way to not have to take draconian measures.

On the question of this thread, there is no reason for WDW to close back down unless there is evidence of significant spread happening on the property despite the procedures and protections in place. It doesn't matter if there are 5 million cases per day in Florida (although that would lead to pretty quick herd immunity), as long as the measures taken at WDW are effective there is no reason to shut down.

I'm sure some people will get infected on property but the key is that it isn't a major source of spread. Calls to close down because of Florida's case count (which is largely a Southeast Florida problem over 200 miles from WDW), are really just coming from the attitude of "nobody should be having any fun while people are dying."

DisneyCane

overnight hospitalizations up 453.
How many were discharged? The important number is the hospital capacity.

Also understand (and I have direct knowledge of this) that if somebody is asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 positive and goes to a hospital for another problem, they will be tested and counted as a COVID admission. They need to be in the hospital for something else but count towards the COVID numbers. If they weren't there for the other issue, they wouldn't have ever been tested let alone admitted.

Bob Harlem

Hospitalizations are down a bit today.
Windermere is an elite area. I very much doubt there's an issue with proper pandemic etiquette there.

The restaurant is embedded in the large Summerport neighborhood, it looks like a block of apartments in the middle of a bunch of homes if you didn't know better. It's in Windermere, but the "Faux Windermere" bordering Winter Garden behind MK not the highly upscale downtown area between the lakes that's know for stuff like Isleworth, Tiger Woods old house, Palace of Versailles home, etc.

legwand77

overnight hospitalizations up 453.

and hospital capacity numbers are still better than they were last week.

For context the Florida hospital system has currently as of this post over 12000 beds available and around 900 icu bed capacity. The capacity has been the same (+/- 5 percent) over the past month or more since you have been saying hospital will be overurn etc. These numbers do not include any surge capacity that can be put in place. Something to watch and they are.

Also interesting the only hospitals in Orange county showing 0% capacity are the smaller mental illness and drug rehab hospitals, I think that is a bigger issue.

Oddysey

It's true that people don't need to ride Space Mountain. They don't need to eat in restaurants, stay in hotels, or to travel.

Except for the people whose jobs rely on theme parks, restaurants, hotels, and the travel industry. That's roughly 25MM of the 155MM jobs in the U.S. (about 16%). And, of course, the people employed in those industries spend money on everything else in the economy, like food, services, electronics, cars, and homes.

I think the vast majority of people's "Plan A" would've been to stay at home until we developed a vaccine. The U.S. doesn't have social programs to accomplish that. So a substantial part of the U.S. economy needed a Plan B.

Plan B The U.S. implemented additional unemployment insurance. That ends in 16 days and hasn't been extended. But let's assume that every person who needed it, got it, it all worked perfectly, and it was enough to cover everyone's expenses.

Employers got up to 2.5 months of payroll expenses through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Let's say that all of that worked perfectly too, that companies didn't have other expenses besides payroll, and that everyone who needed the PPP, got it. Assuming that started in April, that would've lasted until mid-June. Emergency (EIDL) loans are available for up to $150K. Let's say that gets 2.5 months too, through the end of August, and that EIDL worked perfectly.

Plan C Thus, at the end of July (workers) or August (companies), lots of people need a Plan C. Let's assume that Plan C is that everyone perfectly followed what financial advisors said, and had 3 to 6 months of emergency money sitting around. That gets us to November to January.

Plan D Assuming everything went exactly to plan at every step along the way, workers and companies will run out of their own emergency savings and all existing government assistance programs starting in a little over 100 days from now.

The economy will not be fixed 100 days from now.

It's worth pointing out that 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia have laws that mandate balanced budgets - they can't run deficits, even if they wanted to implement their own emergency social programs. (They could change those laws, of course. As far as I can tell, no state is considering doing so.)

If you're trying to plan ahead, then, the two most likely options for Plan D are "hope the federal government helps" or "figure it out for yourself."

Again, the right thing to do would be for everyone to re-isolate until a vaccine is available. To do that without destroying the lives and livelihoods of 1/6th of the U.S. economy for the next decade, the federal government would need to indicate now that it's going to do whatever it takes to support the economy.

The federal government isn't doing that.

That's why businesses like theme parks are re-opening.

As usual, I could be wrong.

Great post! This does not change your well made point, but I thought I would add a little info. I am a small business owner and we received both the PPP and EIDL. If you received both, it is to my understanding at this point that the EIDL must be payed back. To date this has not been made sufficiently clear, but this is what was described to me by my accountant and bank where we received the PPP funds.

The EIDL was meant to be a quick injection of capital to fill the gap until the PPP loans were distributed. However, it did not work well because the EIDL was not well funded and a larger than expected number of companies applied for it. In an effort to distribute to as many businesses as possible, the amount distributed to each business turned out to be a minuscule amount that didn't really serve to accomplish much of anything. For example, the EIDL we received was only 9% of 2.5 months worth of payroll for our company.

As a business owner I know a lot of businesses owners in my community and let me say that if you know how to hedge yourself against a major economic collapse then I advise everyone do so. I talked to the President/CEO of one of our community financial institutions last week and they are beginning to experience a massive uptick in customers not paying on their loans. So much so that I was told that they are "going to have to start doing things differently." Not sure what that means exactly but in the context of the conversation it did not sound good. I could be wrong about a major collapse and am hoping against hope that I am wrong. I would love to be wrong!

As you already alluded to, in a perfect world we would be able to quarantine and the Federal Government would fill the gap until there are at the very least viable treatment options. Unfortunately the United States Government is not capable of doing this, and this is why we are seeing businesses like the Disney Parks open during a surge.

Touchdown

Well there is evidence for over a month (frankly much longer than that) that hospitals have a plan, are acting on it and executing it fine as the have remained stable. I trust they will continue.

Hospitals plan was to operate as normal and continue elective procedures so that they can stay financially viable. Once elective procedures are canceled they are officially off the plan and on crisis mitigation. Once that fails, the plan becomes triage and that’s when “death panels” occur and lots of people die because we run out of resources (see Italy.) Dies that sound like a good plan to you?

I don't know why we keep trying to discuss things with irrational people. Save the energy and stop.

You’re probably right, I won’t do it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom