Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It should be really easy to keep tabs on employee outbreaks. I hope it doesn't happen and that it stays isolated if it does. If a health official has found no link, I assume that includes employees. This is very good news.
So far so good. They haven’t found any outbreaks related to Universal or Sea World openings amongst staff. There have been some unofficial, anecdotal stories on social media about workers who tested positive, but not an outbreak.

Thelazer

Something many of you are missing is that in the past few days there are some very troubling issues coming up for all of us. Worth a read to assess what's really concerning:

Well, the 20% or so of common colds are caused by a coronavirus and there is no cure or vaccine for that.
So to expect anything else here, not sure why anyone would think there would be.

Anyways not to get to far off topic.

I don't think Disney will reclose, but they could go to a 5 day a week or 3 day a week park rotation.

oceanbreeze77

Sadly, I think a lot of resistance to things like tracing apps and vaccines come from conspiracies like the Bill Gates one. I'm noticing this is not just a conspiracy theorist thing. Perfectly sane and smart people that I know are posting things about tracking and the vaccine money maker.

chrisvee

Premium Member
You realized — you just proved the whole “they don’t know.”

so yes... if a large family from Georgia visited Universal Orlando in late June... and the whole family contracted Covid at their hotel outside of Universal... and then they went back to Georgia and gave it to 100 people in Georgia —-
That would be a huge outbreak attributable to theme parks being open... But it’s not going to show up in any contact tracing.

50+ cases in Bucks County PA were just attributed to Myrtle Beach SC vacationing

wendysue

I am new to posting on these specific boards but not new to reading them. Just like almost all of you I am a life long disney-holic who lives for my next trip to Disney. We spend 10 days every August at the Poly and have been on 11 cruises. Some years we do two trips a year so you can see where my hard earned dollars have gone. I always joke that half my salary should just be direct deposited to Disney. But I am happy to do it because it provides us memories like no other.

In saying that we have thought long and hard about our upcoming trip this August. Back when Disney first announced they were re-opening we booked our park reservations and re-made our dining reservations and were fully intent on going. I am by no means a hypochondriac. However with the state of the virus in Florida my wife and I decided that it just wasn't worth the inherent risk for us to make the trip this year. It breaks our heart and we want to go so badly, but we just feel it may be too risky for us and our kids. Not because of anything Disney has done, as we fully believe they are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. But as I said this is a CHOICE we are making.

Reading these boards, which are usually filled with great info and some fun debate, I am honestly blown away by the amount of people who believe it's OK to shame others or feel they have an invitation to tell others what they should do. We are making the decision not to go, because we feel it is too risky...that is OUR choice. However I would never begrudge anyone who felt differently and felt it was safe enough for them to go. If you feel safe...go and I hope you have a wonderful time.... if you don't feel safe, then do as we are and stay at home. It really sucks, but it's the choice we feel we have to make.
I can relate to the "half your salary" being direct deposited to Disney...sounds like me. And we too, have been thinking long and hard about our trip in August. We now have decided also to cancel the trip. We kept waiting and waiting, but it's clear that this isn't going to get any better in the next few weeks. Hopefully, next year this will be better, but if not, I guess we can remember all the great trips we had. :)

havoc315

So far so good. They haven’t found any outbreaks related to Universal or Sea World openings amongst staff. There have been some unofficial, anecdotal stories on social media about workers who tested positive, but not an outbreak.

Hard to find an outbreak among employees... when you don’t test employees.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am new to posting on these specific boards but not new to reading them. Just like almost all of you I am a life long disney-holic who lives for my next trip to Disney. We spend 10 days every August at the Poly and have been on 11 cruises. Some years we do two trips a year so you can see where my hard earned dollars have gone. I always joke that half my salary should just be direct deposited to Disney. But I am happy to do it because it provides us memories like no other.

In saying that we have thought long and hard about our upcoming trip this August. Back when Disney first announced they were re-opening we booked our park reservations and re-made our dining reservations and were fully intent on going. I am by no means a hypochondriac. However with the state of the virus in Florida my wife and I decided that it just wasn't worth the inherent risk for us to make the trip this year. It breaks our heart and we want to go so badly, but we just feel it may be too risky for us and our kids. Not because of anything Disney has done, as we fully believe they are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. But as I said this is a CHOICE we are making.

Reading these boards, which are usually filled with great info and some fun debate, I am honestly blown away by the amount of people who believe it's OK to shame others or feel they have an invitation to tell others what they should do. We are making the decision not to go, because we feel it is too risky...that is OUR choice. However I would never begrudge anyone who felt differently and felt it was safe enough for them to go. If you feel safe...go and I hope you have a wonderful time.... if you don't feel safe, then do as we are and stay at home. It really sucks, but it's the choice we feel we have to make.
I can relate to the "half your salary" being direct deposited to Disney...sounds like me. And we too, have been thinking long and hard about our trip in August. We now have decided also to cancel the trip. We kept waiting and waiting, but it's clear that this isn't going to get any better in the next few weeks. Hopefully, next year this will be better, but if not, I guess we can remember all the great trips we had. :)
I‘m in the same boat. Cancelled my August trip, trying for a redo next August. As I said before, It’s really disappointing but it will just make the next trip that much more special :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hard to find an outbreak among employees... when you don’t test employees.
The sick ones with symptoms are hopefully getting tested and if someone tests positive I would hope they would let their co-workers they have direct contact with know so they can get tested. I don’t think it’s practical for a place like Universal or WDW to test all employees every day. It would help FL with their percent positive though :)

TJJohn12

The sick ones with symptoms are hopefully getting tested and if someone tests positive I would hope they would let their co-workers they have direct contact with know so they can get tested. I don’t think it’s practical for a place like Universal or WDW to test all employees every day. It would help FL with their percent positive though :)

My boss got a test about two weeks ago before her trip to visit relatives - she wanted to be safe around older folks. She took it a few days before the trip to give herself time to get results. She got results 10 days later - this is in a mid-Atlantic state that’s not seeing the huge upticks of a place like Florida.

She got the news she’s negative on the way *home* from the trip.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My boss got a test about two weeks ago before her trip to visit relatives - she wanted to be safe around older folks. She took it a few days before the trip to give herself time to get results. She got results 10 days later - this is in a mid-Atlantic state that’s not seeing the huge upticks of a place like Florida.

She got the news she’s negative on the way *home* from the trip.
I have a friend who has relatives from FL who did the same thing. They came up here to PA but got the whole family tested before they left then quarantined until the results came in. They wanted to visit older relatives and didn’t want to to infect them. This was back in mid-June when FL testing was a little less backed up. I think they got the results 3 days after the test. I think the testing lag puts a hard stop on any plans to do daily testing. It would be ideal if there was a quick and painless instant test but that’s not reality.

Serverfarm

Bad news is that Disney won’t test their employees.

And that's the difference between WDW and DLR. And the difference between FL's attitude vs CA's attitude to this virus (unions got squeezed in FL and are pushing back in CA). And the difference between new and old mgmt. Such contrast nowadays, BUT no 100% right nor 100% wrong, we're all just in the middle at this point.

(Note CA just reclosed all, theaters, gyms, indoor gatherings this afternoon, not sure how it'll effect Sea World/Uni/Lego openings this week--cause that's going to create repercussions in the industry).

DVCakaCarlF

While I don’t agree entirely, this is the most American statement I’ve heard in a while - “choice.”

Oddysey

Sadly, I think a lot of resistance to things like tracing apps and vaccines come from conspiracies like the Bill Gates one. I'm noticing this is not just a conspiracy theorist thing. Perfectly sane and smart people that I know are posting things about tracking and the vaccine money maker.

I believe the reason there are a significant number of conspiracy theorist is because many do not know where to turn for credible information. Our news media on all sides is not designed to report the news but rather to entertain in an effort to sell ads. The media has misrepresented so many things over the last several years that they have lost the public trust.

Doing research I can find multiple stories of “experts” supporting the efficacy of mask and then find an equal number of stories of “experts” explaining how wearing a mask breaks down the immune system and increases the chances of one getting sick. When this occurs it forces individuals to formulate their own opinions based on biases and what they want to believe. Not necessarily because each individual lacks intelligence per se, but because a lack of credible sources and/or an abundance of conflicting information creates a breeding ground for conspiracy theories to flourish.

Miss Bella

This is the scenario that Disney fears most. Big family going to Disney, all have not seen each other in weeks. Flying in from 3 locations, different planes. Same resort for a week, then they all fly back home. 3 - 9 days later they start to get sick. Does not take long to figure out what they had in common.

It's coming. I am sure there are stories in these forums about family's bringing home the flu from Disney. But, the flu is not going to make national news.

Florida is a big stinking mess. There is no way Disney is going to come out of this smelling nice.
Since it was their choice to go to Disney and Disney has issued multiple waivers and warnings I really don't see how this is a problem. One of the family members could have had COVID before arriving at WDW so still no way to trace it back to Disney. Families are having get-togethers and parties all over the world it's not something exclusive to WDW.

oceanbreeze77

Since it was their choice to go to Disney and Disney has issued multiple waivers and warnings I really don't see how this is a problem. One of the family members could have had COVID before arriving at WDW so still no way to trace it back to Disney. Families are having get-togethers and parties all over the world it's not something exclusive to WDW.
the PR from it would be Disneys biggest headache. Sure, they have legal protections and safety measure in place, but the societal reflection of an outbreak occurring from a family who visited would be disastrous for their image.

havoc315

No, not practical to test every day. But rotating so all employees are tested once per month is very doable and would catch cases before they become huge outbreaks.

But without any plan to test employees... and with a 1-week backlog on those who are tested, and without any coherent contact tracing program... It all falls apart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom