Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DVCakaCarlF

I didn't say anything about wearing masks or distancing guidelines. My response was to the people that want Disney and other businesses to be closed again.
People can decide whether or not is is safe for them to go out...I still can’t understand why parents send their unvaccinated children to school, but do it anyway.

When I go on a cruise, bus, plane, Home Depot, I’m deciding for myself to accept the risk of contracting not only Covid but any airborne virus.

carolina_yankee

Unless Universal closes and Florida shuts down, there is really no point to Disney closing. Where has all the outrage been that other Florida attractions are open? I mean, it’s not like Disney hasn’t dramatically altered the protocols in order to mitigate risk.

Quite frankly, if people want the parks closed then, through their government, they need to close the parks. This business closing while they business staying open gets us nowhere.

TrojanUSC

Unless Universal closes and Florida shuts down, there is really no point to Disney closing. Where has all the outrage been that other Florida attractions are open? I mean, it’s not like Disney hasn’t dramatically altered the protocols in order to mitigate risk.

Quite frankly, if people want the parks closed then, through their government, they need to close the parks. This business closing while they business staying open gets us nowhere.

Disney is the 800lb gorilla in the room when it comes to parks. They're also a major tourism driver while Universal is more of a "locals" park. Importantly, the other parks opened when things were looking okay but now the house is on fire and Disney is reopening.

None of these measures are safe. They mitigate risk but do not eliminate it. Getting more and more people interacting is more and more testing of the measures, more opportunities for failure.

None of the measures are safe? No safety measures of any kind, for anything, bring risk down to absolute 0. Though, according to the experts, maintaining 6 feet and wearing a mask brings it pretty darn close to 0.

By that rationale hotel balconies are unsafe because 5 - 10 people per year fall off despite having safety railings, and by building more hotels with balconies we are testing the measures and have more opportunities for failure.

carolina_yankee

Disney is the 800lb gorilla in the room when it comes to parks. They're also a major tourism driver while Universal is more of a "locals" park. Importantly, the other parks opened when things were looking okay but now the house is on fire and Disney is reopening.

It doesn’t matter. If Universal isn’t closing, Disney most likely isn’t closing. Hasn't the argument been here that Universal forced Disney’s hand?

legwand77

Would love to see your data on this. People on the ground who work in the hospitals and news articles are saying otherwise. Less available ICU beds and more ERs on diversion due to capacity in the last week.
The Florida hospital association dashboard been linked many times

lazyboy97o

None of the measures are safe? No safety measures of any kind, for anything, bring risk down to absolute 0. Though, according to the experts, maintaining 6 feet and wearing a mask brings it pretty darn close to 0.

By that rationale hotel balconies are unsafe because 5 - 10 people per year fall off despite having safety railings, and by building more hotels with balconies we are testing the measures and have more opportunities for failure.
That’s not even close to a good analogy. Neither balconies nor guardrails inherently fail or their structural integrity tested with each use. We wouldn’t allow hotel balconies if each time one was used there was a chance it would just fail.

BrianLo

I have already been to Disney last Thursday, whatever that has to do with my agenda

I've just incidentally noticed that most of the strong proponents were planning to go for opening. It's a similar phenomenon to those who speak the loudest about refurbs when it falls during their planned vacation.

Agenda is a strong word, more like an indirect bias. If one had a trip planned - it infers they strongly wanted WDW to open for their individualized priority.

We all have bias; many many competing layers. I fully admit some bias that I want the US to get things under control so that it's both safe and feasible to travel there. Of course that does not also mean I want people to be healthy and thrive by simply controlling the pandemic. I do not want the border to open until those metrics are met so that my country can more safely remain open. Likewise I'm naturally biased that COVID closures do not impact my job security, in-fact risk of quarantine would impact me more than mandated closures.

I could go on and on, but the people who were going on or near opening were definitely biased.

Sparksfly

It doesn’t matter. If Universal isn’t closing, Disney most likely isn’t closing. Hasn't the argument been here that Universal forced Disney’s hand?

I guess it turns out Universal wears the pants in this relationship huh?

Universal helped lead Disney right off a ledge and Disney played right into it....now they get all the bad press as they open in the middle of the biggest surge during this pandemic the world has seen yet.

Speaking of...I'm wondering if we should start calling it "the most infected place on earth".

bdearl41

its like no matter how many facts you present, people can't make the connection that everything is connected to each other. How we control the virus and how we reopen the world.
While you are correct. The opposite is also true. How we open during a virus and how quickly will effect lives after the virus. It’s not jobs vs life. It’s life vs life. What worries me is too many people pick one side when both sides are equally important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom