Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

schuelma

I was wrong about Disney delaying their opening, so maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but if the numbers increase in the weeks ahead as I think they will, especially deaths, I suspect the combination of bad press and numbers is going to lead to the state or disney just closing back down.

I sincerely do hope I am wrong.

Kman101

His answers look fine to me. I imagine someone who thinks the parks should be closed and someone who is fine with it being open will view his responses differently

Yep. Exactly. His answers were fine to me.

A theme park ironically feels safer to me than my local crowded Walmart where masks are iffy and social distancing is non-existent.

The fact is, this virus isn't going away. Lockdown didn't 'get rid of it' but taking certain measures helps slow the spread. Florida got complacent about the virus and we're suffering from it now. I know others want them to shut down but I don't see it happening.

carolina_yankee

His answers look fine to me. I imagine someone who thinks the parks should be closed and someone who is fine with it being open will view his responses differently

I would agree. HIs job is to sell the safety procedures Disney has put into place and he's done that. I think he's right. This is a new normal. When all this started, I though sure, four to six weeks to let things burn out and then we'd be fine. Well, four months later and we'll open my congregation to a handful of people ready to return. Until there is a vaccine or readily available guaranteed treatment, this is the new normal.

What we can do safely, we should do.

Goofyernmost

What's the second?
The first and most important would be the state demanding another lock-down which might be a god send for Disney and/or if the number of people they are attracting are not either significant enough to cover the additional expenses incurred by being open or have made it an even bigger loss to be open.
Sorry, I left out two important words. (and/or) because it would be a god send for Disney if they were losing more money then when open or Two, all by itself if the State doesn't call for a shut-down and they are bleeding cash profusely. That isn't likely for a long period of time, but even Disney isn't immune to that type of thing happening.

MonorailCoral

Sorry, I left out two important words. (and/or) because it would be a god send for Disney if they were losing more money then when open or Two, all by itself if the State doesn't call for a shut-down and they are bleeding cash profusely. That isn't likely for a long period of time, but even Disney isn't immune to that type of thing happening.

Why would Disney need a god-send from the state to shut down if they're losing more money being open / if the number of people they are attracting is not significant enough to cover the additional expenses incurred by being open?

No one is forcing them to stay open and lose money.

Captain Neo

Fewer of the people getting infected are getting seriously sick. Even as the number of infections has increased, the number of hospitalizations has slowed. At the start of the month, the state announced one hospitalization for every 10 infections. That number has since fallen to one in 20.

Where do you get your information from? They have storage units stuffed full of dead bodies out here in california and arizona because the morgues are full.

joe80x86

I actually just posted another thread about how empty the parks (universal & BG) have been on a Saturday. I really have to wonder if they are operating in the black. If they are it must be just barely.

MonorailCoral

I actually just posted another thread about how empty the parks (universal & BG) have been on a Saturday. I really have to wonder if they are operating in the black. If they are it must be just barely.
If they are (and if Disney is too), then it proves how absurdly overpriced their structures had become back in BC ("Before Coronavirus") times when the places were routinely packed shoulder-to-shoulder.

Touchdown

There is no way they are unless you factor in resort profits. No way they are pulling in enough in ticket sales.

SoFloMagic

actual percentage means very little in the context of spread. It has to be combined with number of tests.
Forgive us, but it's hard to keep up with this circular logic. Percentage is fully 50% based on number of tests.
Also, wasn't it like two weeks ago that yall were yelling that positive percentage was the end all be all and that we were idiots for being concerned about 5k cases?

SoFloMagic

Wasnt universal paying employees while closed? If so, opening wouldn't really add a ton of additional costs, right?

And for sea world, servicing all that debt must be pretty tough with no revenue.

rreading

There’s so much noise everywhere about this.

People need to be careful if they are high risk, especially if hospital beds are lacking. There are treatment options being utilized with some degree of success but if there’s no capacity for care then sheltering is the only truly safe option.

The reality though is that each one of us is likely to catch this. Maybe the vaccine will ride in to save the day, but I’m not counting my chickens. I’m worried about what’s going to happen this winter if the flu hits like usual (or maybe the masks will help). But despite the link @Sirwalterraleigh posted a while ago, our bodies routinely produce immunity to previous infections (and if we cannot mount a true immunity to this corona, then a vaccine likely would not produce true immunity either); once we have caught this, subsequent infections should always be milder.

The idea that we can isolate this virus to its demise is naive - the world is too connected. Until we are all immune - either naturally or from a vaccine, there will continue to be outbreaks. Here in Texas, we’re catching it for better or worse. Hopefully for the best.

an addendum: so Sweden has been the maligned pariah on this and the press has not been kind for sure, but recent numbers are promising that maybe they’re already getting over the hump and I don’t see articles suggesting that this improvement is due to restrictions.

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

All I know is that just having Downtown Disney open on this coast, I see every major blogger enjoying just getting to be immersed in Disney. The fact that you have parks opening, is great. There is a lot of negative going around, and I for one would like to see more positive. I doubt Disney could afford to stay closed much longer with out filing for some sort of protection.

Getachew

Wasnt universal paying employees while closed? If so, opening wouldn't really add a ton of additional costs, right?

And for sea world, servicing all that debt must be pretty tough with no revenue.

They were paying only full timers 80% of their salaries, which was why they desperately wanted to reopen immediately.

Goofyernmost

Why would Disney need a god-send from the state to shut down if they're losing more money being open / if the number of people they are attracting is not significant enough to cover the additional expenses incurred by being open?

No one is forcing them to stay open and lose money.
No, but PR wise unless they were forced it would look bad for stock holders. So my feeling is that would be a hard choice to make unless the government made them do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom