Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney seems pretty good at avoiding bad PR. I haven’t heard anything negative regarding theme parks. Granted I haven’t spent my time looking.
Disney isn’t open yet. Universal seems to be enforcing their safety policies so far. The other poster was suggesting that Disney may not enforce their mask policy out of fear of a boycott from the anti-mask crowd. My point is they fear the opposite even more. A set of viral videos showing they aren’t enforcing the rules coupled with an unofficial outbreak documented on social media would be a PR nightmare. If they enforce the rules (I think they will) then there’s little fear in that happening.

DMMDMM

The key line in that tweet is the last one, the increase today is only based on increased number in testing, at least he tried to include it, 15.5% is in the same range it has been for a while though. He should post the number of negatives too.
It is the % positive that determines the concern. Currently at 17.8 % In Florida On 7/4 From John Hopkins. Above 10% is considered out break.

durangojim

Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?
It’ll be interesting to see if Disney has the determination to stand up for what is right when it comes to health and not just for what they feel is right when it comes to social justice.

legwand77

It is the % positive that determines the concern. Currently at 17.8 % In Florida On 7/4 From John Hopkins. Above 10% is considered out break.
Absolutely, but note it is an outbreak that is not causing any significant increase in hospitalizations over the past few weeks. Hopefully it will stay that way.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No.... that's actually not true. But it is likely there is a significant under-count of nursing home deaths -- But also likely there is a significant under-count of non-nursing home deaths.
So all we have is the official statistics that put it at 21%.

If you want to start speculating apart from the official statistics, then we can also recognize the massive under reporting of deaths occurring in Florida.

But instead of speculation, for the sake of consistent discussion, its best to use official statistics.

Saw this today. Reminded me of our discussion.

mwf5555

If you think that's a concern, you really don't want to know the extreme lack of cleanliness and sanitation of a restaurant kitchen while food is being prepared and cooked during business hours. I've worked in the past in these locations in my younger days. If one found out, one would think twice about eating in that location again.
oh stop, Disney takes Food Safety very seriously and have many unannounced inspections...sorry you had a bad experience...

mwf5555

I lived in Europe for several years, and I married into a family of German immigrants to Canada, so I have several contacts on the other side of the pond. Here's a selection of how others see the US right now, translated and paraphrased:

Quote from a German family member of mine: "Your country is like the Third World right now."

Quote from a German friend: "What happened to you guys?"

Quote from a Belgian friend: "Are these people in Florida crazy?"

I can't say I disagree with any of them.
when 6 corporations control 90% of content in the USA, how many in OTHER Countries control what YOU SEE?

mwf5555

Didn't the head one of the biggest hospital systems in Texas debunk "the we are almost at capacity theory"?
its controlled messaging everywhere...In Orlando, a representative for Orlando Health Hospitals said they held back actual beds available, paraphrasing here..."we don't have 300 beds, we can actually expand to 500" so there ya go.

mwf5555

The news coverage from the corners of the country that matter the most for the demographic Disney needs to continue to attract long term will be far worse if they don’t enforce the rules. There are people just waiting to post videos and stories of people not wearing masks or large crowds massing together. With cases spiking right before the opening Disney will want to be extra certain that they appear very serious about the safety measures. I’m not so sure how unpopular the mask policy is anyway. I’ve seen reported several places where the majority of Americans support the policies. In the poll from the article below 69% favor masks for shopping and in public places. Only 13% believe the masks have no benefit. It’s a vocal minority who oppose it and they can/should be removed if they won‘t follow Disney’s rules.

bottom line, it's private property, their rules.....case closed. next topic?

Jrb1979

Top country for theme parks too.
That I will agree with. Its too bad many Disney fans can't be bothered to support them. So many are in a hurry to go to a hot bed of Covid-19 to visit The Rat but can't be bothered to go to their local park that's opened now. There is quite a few parks that are opened across the US.

EdnaMode

Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?

Anyone who is paying any attention at all right now knows that Disney is effectively boycotting guests for the rest of this year. They've done everything short of saying "We don't want you here; please don't come. Have your magical day elsewhere." They are trying to keep crowds light, to weed people out. So if someone were to threaten to boycott a place that isn't even selling admission right now....🤣

milordsloth

That I will agree with. Its too bad many Disney fans can't be bothered to support them. So many are in a hurry to go to a hot bed of Covid-19 to visit The Rat but can't be bothered to go to their local park that's opened now. There is quite a few parks that are opened across the US.

I really don't understand where you are getting this from, I haven't seen anyone say this on these boards. I really doubt there is some big group of people who are fans of disney parks but "against local parks". At least right now, many states still havent allowed local parks open and when they do I'm sure locals will be happy to visit.

Feel free to send quotes proving me wrong though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom