Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

To go for a walk in the middle of nowhere, yes. To interact with a staff member be it in a theme park or theatre? No. To be an unknown carrier and inadvertently infect someone else afterwards? No.
Based on the science, especially if you are wearing a mask, there is very little chance of infecting a staff member anywhere. You are not in prolonged, close contact with them.

Have Universal staff been testing positive at a higher rate than the general population in Orange County?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have Universal staff been testing positive at a higher rate than the general population in Orange County?
I’ve not asked.

It is what it is. If you don’t like it, there’s not a lot you can do apart from wait for things to get better - which they will do. How quickly depends on how the general population behaves, until such time if and when there’s a scientific solution.

Last edited:

Turtlekrawl

it would probably be a good thing if every person under 35 got infected in the next two weeks. Then, there wouldn't be the risk of a huge segment of the population spreading it to vulnerable people.

Makes sense, and I’ve semi-seriously advocated for this over the last few months. But... now we are seeing evidence that antibody levels fall off dramatically after 2-3 months. That may or may not correlate with immunity levels, but still is potentially very depressing news. Will begin to understand in the next few months what the rate of re-infection is. That will be a big key in determining how to open/reopen

DisneyCane

Makes sense, and I’ve semi-seriously advocated for this over the last few months. But... now we are seeing evidence that antibody levels fall off dramatically after 2-3 months. That may or may not correlate with immunity levels, but still is potentially very depressing news. Will begin to understand in the next few months what the rate of re-infection is. That will be a big key in determining how to open/reopen

If immunity goes away at a similar rate to the antibodies (hopefully it doesn't), then "flattening the curve" could actually be a bad thing.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It says a lot about people that come down on wanting bars, theme parks and other forms of entertainment and justify that the solution is to just not interact with family members.

We clearly have different values, I personally value my family more then my entertainment and derive more pleasure from interacting with them. This is clearly why I cannot understand some of you, and why you can’t understand me. I think we as a country are about to find out which group is the majority in this country, and from all that I’ve seen lately I fear I’m in the minority.
Some people have friends. 🤷‍♂️ Some people enjoy doing things, entertaining things, WITH their family. 🤷‍♂️ Some people would like to provide for their family. 🤷‍♂️

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Rate of re-infection worldwide is 0.0

Scuttle

Based on the science, especially if you are wearing a mask, there is very little chance of infecting a staff member anywhere. You are not in prolonged, close contact with them.

I can confirm that there have been outbreaks in both parks. Multiple team members have been sent home. I don’t have a number unfortunately.

TJJohn12

...especially if you are wearing a mask, there is very little chance of infecting a staff member anywhere....

Have you been to a U.S. grocery store or gas station lately? Upwards of 50% of the people I see are maskless. Enforcement has been zero. So you’re in the midst of building a straw man here.

If people were acting responsibly maybe this argument could hold water. But they’re not. Period.

DisneyCane

Have you been to a U.S. grocery store or gas station lately? Upwards of 50% of the people I see are maskless. Enforcement has been zero. So you’re in the midst of building a straw man here.

If people were acting responsibly maybe this argument could hold water. But they’re not. Period.
I've been to grocery stores in Broward county where masks are required like they will be at WDW and I haven't seen widespread non-compliance.

Sometimes people have their nose exposed (relatively rare). The thing I've seen most often is somebody pulling the mask down to talk on the phone. Even that isn't frequent and tends to be in an aisle not really near other people.

I would expect a very high compliance rate at WDW where the desire to go outweighs the desire not to wear a mask. I absolutely hate wearing a mask but I also want to go to WDW so I will deal with it and wear one while there.

Scuttle

Nobody wears them at gas stations. That I’ve definitely noticed.

Touchdown

Some people have friends. 🤷‍♂️ Some people enjoy doing things, entertaining things, WITH their family. 🤷‍♂️ Some people would like to provide for their family. 🤷‍♂️

Where did I begrudge people going to work? As for entertaining and seeing friends, is that a want or a need?

For people who haven’t been able to work, what should have happened is that society should have provided them financial relief; thus far society has not deemed that worth its effort.

mickeymiss

It’s true. I promise you that.
First of all, we're scuttle twins! May I please ask your sources? I'm not a regular here and I'm curious how so many people are in the loop. Universal seems to be running like a fine oiled machine and I never heard a rumor like this until you mentioned it. How can these quarantines take place without a noticeable staffing issue?

Scuttle

It's obvious that covid hasn't derailed anything for Universal. They'd have some serious staffing problems if that were the case. It is always possible that one or two cases pop up among the staff but that could be true anywhere. I have heard zero legitimatized reports of infection at Universal. If we shut down every business when there is one case, nothing will be open. We are so far away from ever having zero cases and so far away from a vaccine. We were told to expect ongoing transmission whenever we opened. The key is that these isolated staff cases are highly unlikely to affect anyone else in a safe environment. Like I said, there'd be a staffing issue at Universal if significant transmission was occuring.

Some random sandwich shop had a positive case in my state.They will close for one day to clean and open right back up. That's the way businesses are dealing with it even in crammed sub shops. The show goes on even though BLT's are not essential. 😉
They haven’t had many staffing issues due to everyone working 32 hours a week as of now. I’m sure employees are more than willing to work an addition 8. But like I said, I know one department that had the serious outbreak and sent home employees that were exposed. The show is definitely still going on.

First of all, we're scuttle twins! May I please ask your sources? I'm not a regular here and I'm curious how so many people are in the loop. Universal seems to be running like a fine oiled machine and I never heard a rumor like this until you mentioned it. How can these quarantines take place without a noticeable staffing issue?
Universal has done a great job overall. Just seems there reaction to this symptomatic team member and waiting 3 days for a test was a questionable decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom