Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

THECARISMINE

As someone who has lost family to this the thought of the parks sticking to reopening with the numbers as high as they are is completely insane. I understand the need for the parks to open for economic reasons but even looking past the safety of staff, you are dealing with children and, lets also face it, a large community of guests who can't move around without running people over with scooters. If our numbers flattened in New York from following the CDC there is no excuse other then the political stupidity that led here. Support whoever you damn please but don't put other people at risk. Just stay safe.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As someone who has lost family to this the thought of the parks sticking to reopening with the numbers as high as they are is completely insane. I understand the need for the parks to open for economic reasons but even looking past the safety of staff, you are dealing with children and, lets also face it, a large community of guests who can't move around without running people over with scooters. If our numbers flattened in New York from following the CDC there is no excuse other then the political stupidity that led here. Support whoever you damn please but don't put other people at risk. Just stay safe.
Our numbers in Ny and Nj improved because the virus burned itself out. Nothing to do with the CDC. When Florida reaches the same thresholds we did for infections, the virus will burn out there as well.

DisneyCane

Likely a part of what is helping NY (especially the NYC area) now is the number of people that were infected. The antibody studies suggest that 20% or more of the NYC population has already been infected. The highest positive antibody results in FL is Miami-Dade county at around 6%. For a while the antibody tests were only being done on healthcare providers and first responders who were most likely to have been exposed.

While 20% is not high enough for herd immunity it is going to provide a level of "herd resistance to spread" and help slow the spread. NY is still getting a similar number of daily new cases that Florida was before the recent spike so it's not like NY has eliminated the virus.

To reiterate, Florida's daily fatalities have been basically flat for two months. As long as the most vulnerable are protecting themselves, which data indicates that they are, there is no reason for anything drastic like delaying WDW opening.

The spread is happening from young adults not social distancing. WDW with all kinds of protocols in place isn't the type of environment that is causing a problem right now.

celluloid

The spread is happening from young adults not social distancing. WDW with all kinds of protocols in place isn't the type of environment that is causing a problem right now.
For sure it is mostly the drinking at a bar with others after work and partying demographic that socialize that way; what age group do you think majority work the theme parks? Most in that age employed work at a major attraction in the area.

mickeymiss

As dystopian as it will appear, I think the usage of face shields for employees were a reponse to the rise in cases and a message that they plan to open. These ultra cautious measures eliminate any need to close.

Guests are going by choice and submit to the risks. Staff is there by necessity and have been protected to the fullest extent. It looks like a go to me.

mickeymiss

I see this from a different perspective. Not to say people from out of state are not currently coming here for universal or other area attractions. But the reality is that once Disney opens, everyone from the country and those from around the world will be here. And anyone who thinks Disney world itself will not see a spike and Orlando as a result is crazy.

I feel the opposite. Many people coming from other places only makes Disney more of a bubble than areas where concentrated spikes are occuring. More people have never had the virus than those who have. Fact.

Why would a company that has SO MANY precautions locked and loaded fare badly? Why do we promote masks and distancing so much if it doesn't work? We've seen how much less crowded Universal has been from capacity limits. It seems extremely safe.

I've seen videos on how things are done at the Disney resorts right now. They have worked so hard to reduce risk at every level. It blew my mind.

People from around the world will be there? How? There are travel bans.

BASS

I don't know what Disney will or won't do, but I would suspect that the idea of delaying reopening warrants consideration. With the numbers rising in Florida, from a public perspective aspect, it kinda looks bad to reopen under the current circumstances. Right or wrong, there will be folks that will opine that Disney has placed profit over health.

We know Disney cares deeply about how it's viewed--and although the numbers rising are no fault of their own, they'd be foolish IMO to play ostrich and put their head in the sand. And we all know someone will visit Disney and contract the virus and there will be an article somewhere about how the person socially distanced, wore a mask, washed hands, took every precaution, etc. and Disney will be criticized for pushing forward when the numbers appeared so dire.

disneygeek90

I don't know what Disney will or won't do, but I would suspect that the idea of delaying reopening warrants consideration. With the numbers rising in Florida, from a public perspective aspect, it kinda looks bad to reopen under the current circumstances. Right or wrong, there will be folks that will opine that Disney has placed profit over health.

We know Disney cares deeply about how it's viewed--and although the numbers rising are no fault of their own, they'd be foolish IMO to play ostrich and put their head in the sand. And we all know someone will visit Disney and contract the virus and there will be an article somewhere about how the person socially distanced, wore a mask, washed hands, took every precaution, etc. and Disney will be criticized for pushing forward when the numbers appeared so dire.
I think people also need to take a little personal responsibility. There are signs all over Springs saying that by being here you acknowledge the risk. If I happen to pick up COVID at Disney or Universal my first thought won't be to blame Disney because I wore a mask. I'm also not even sure how it could be traced. Maybe I picked it up at the grocery store the day after I went to the park but there's no way to 100% prove where it was picked up, not with our lack of tracing.

BASS

I think people also need to take a little personal responsibility. There are signs all over Springs saying that by being here you acknowledge the risk. If I happen to pick up COVID at Disney or Universal my first thought won't be to blame Disney because I wore a mask. I'm also not even sure how it could be traced. Maybe I picked it up at the grocery store the day after I went to the park but there's no way to 100% prove where it was picked up, not with our lack of tracing.

Sure. And that's correct. No one will be able to determine with any certainty precisely how the virus was contracted. Causation and correlation are two very, very distinct concepts, yet oftentimes misunderstood.

That said, the last line of the hypothetical article will be someone saying, "in hindsight, I shouldn't have gone." And again, that'll shift the focus to Disney as to why it pressed forward with knowledge of the numbers.

Giss Neric

This spike has very little to do with people not wearing masks. It has a lot to do with young people gathering at bars or in other social settings, not social distancing AND not wearing masks. There isn't a sudden spread happening from a handful of people making a scene at some store over wearing a mask.

When social distancing was first implemented at "essential" businesses without masks, the infection rate dropped dramatically. The social distancing is the key. The masks are to help when social distancing isn't possible. This focus on masks as being the main culprit is just to make it a political issue and have the narrative that one side of the spectrum doesn't care about people. Don't let the fact that the age demographic responsible for this spike is also the least likely to be on that side get in the way of some good discourse.
Those two go hand in hand together. One will not work. Wear a mask and social distancing is the key but saying that masks have little effect is wrong.

Masks protects others from you.
Social distancing protects you from others and vice versa.

Also, third is sanitize. If you are lazy to wash your hands, put hand sanitizers or rubbing alcohol then you are part of the problem.

mickeymiss

Everything hinges on personal responsibility. Very few people if any are catching this from complete strangers when using precautions. There’s an element of close close contact required and masks compensate for the select places at Disney where people are somewhat confined. I think my husband caught a cold from Disney last year while waiting in those stuffy indoor lines. Masks and distancing would dramatically reduce that risk. Most likely eliminate it altogether even if a few people weren’t wearing a mask. Most infections are at an all time low by association with the lockdowns so we are almost exclusively dealing with covid which doesn’t spread like colds. It seems to spread from a very specific set of circumstances that are mitigated by masks.

disneyflush

Disney will absolutely delay their reopening in Orlando in the next week. It is very inconvenient for a lot of people. People consider it a need for happiness and emotional support. Many plan their years around their trips and having it unavailable makes them angry.

'Danger' as a precautionary thing becomes way more subjective when it separates you from something you determine to be a 'Need'. Disney will need to help people help themselves in this circumstance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom