Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think one of the CDC higher ups (can’t remember the name) said that as many as 10x the confirmed number have it. It’s spreading very quickly for sure. But I think we just need to reopen and deal with it. If people feel it’s worth the risk to go to or work at a theme park, let them. It’s time to move on. If you’re in a high risk category, stay home. Very simple.
60% of adults have at least one medical factor that makes them high risk and that doesn’t include anyone over 65 who isn’t medically high risk or children living with high risk parents or taking care of them or also high risk adult grandparents who are the primary caretaker for grandkids. Once you add it all up there’s not enough people left to keep the economy going or for WDW to open. That plan just doesn’t work.

TrojanUSC

No reason to.....look at all the numbers. We over corrected once and many people’s lives will never recover as their jobs vanish forever. There is still a lot of smoke to clear before we realize the damage that was done. It’s coming in August/September.

What numbers? The infection rates are off the charts and sadly the hospitalization rates + death rates will likely follow in the coming weeks.

dmw

In the Parks
No
You would hope so. Its corporate greed to stay open.
there's more to consider than the so-called "corporate greed". Yes, as a business their priority is making money.

But, let's consider the long term impact on the local community. Further delay of opening might have longer term ramifications. Significant cutback in live entertainment could put many cast and crew out of work permanently. Disney may even have to close some of its retail outlets, or shutter some hotels. More jobs likely gone.

Plus, reduced attendance at WDW hurts the local stores, restaurants, etc. - many of which will likely close permanently if tourism does not rebound. Being a good "corporate citizen" means Disney also has to think about the long-term impact on the local economy. It is so much more complicated than just a simple "desire" to make more money.

Personally, I would not want to be responsible for such a decision as WDW execs have to make in regards to opening as scheduled, or further delaying the opening, considering all they have to take into account in this decision.

Last edited:

Cousin Huet

What numbers? The infection rates are off the charts and sadly the hospitalization rates + death rates will likely follow in the coming weeks.

Deaths are continuing to go down. Testing is way up. I’ve had to get tested twice within the last few weeks for work related travel myself. I am quite certain that everyone understands that this isn’t a prevent everyone from getting it solution. It never was....remember “flatten the curve”??? You will continue to have more and more people exposed to this virus as time goes on. They expect another season of it similar to the flu. We can’t shut our world down every few months and expect to have anything left.

TrojanUSC

Deaths are continuing to go down. Testing is way up. I’ve had to get tested twice within the last few weeks for work related travel myself. I am quite certain that everyone understands that this isn’t a prevent everyone from getting it solution. It never was....remember “flatten the curve”??? You will continue to have more and more people exposed to this virus as time goes on. They expect another season of it similar to the flu. We can’t shut our world down every few months and expect to have anything left.

Deaths lag substantially. This most recent spike does not factor in hospitalization or deaths yet.

"Flatten the curve" was about two things: keeping hospitals from overflowing and using the intervening time to find some kind of solution to mitigate deaths and spread, whether that be a therapeutic or a robust contact tracing program to isolate potentially positive people as quickly as possible. We did nothing, we just reopened and hoped for the best.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

New cases come first, hospitalizations some next, which we are starting to see in some places, then the deaths start. The death number will start going up in the next few weeks. We can't go back to the way things were before the pandemic and expect to have anything left either. Reality needs to be somewhere in the middle.

disdonald

there's more to consider than the so-called "corporate greed". Yes, as a business their priority is making money.

But, let's consider the long term impact on the local community. Further delay of opening might have longer term ramifications. Significant cutback in live entertainment could put many cast and crew out of work permanently. Disney may even have to close some of its retail outlets, or shutter some hotels. More jobs likely gone.

Plus, reduced attendance at WDW hurts the local stores, restaurants, etc. - many of which will likely close permanently if tourism does not rebound. Being a good "corporate citizen" means Disney also has to think about the long-term impact on the local economy. It is so much more complicated than just a simple "desire" to make more money.

Personally, I would not want to be responsible for such a decision as WDW execs have to make in regards to opening as scheduled, or further delaying the opening, considering all they have to take into account in this decision.
Well said, so many people do not understand how an economy works. One only has to look at the almost finished international terminal to see that may stay empty for years if there is a prolonged slump.

icc2515

I really like the way that you wrote this. You made some very good points about how Disney affects the local economy. We were there a few weeks ago and stayed in the B, one of only 2 hotels on-site open. We ate a the Denny's right outside of Disney Springs on a Sunday at 9:00am. Normally they would be packed. There were 2 couples in there the whole time us and another. All of the local businesses we saw were empty. That's a lot of jobs in jeopardy. A lot of families that are going to suffer.

Seanual757

They are going to open Disney knows they just cannot open hotels and not the parks for a long period of time. Any special treatment they give to the NBA and say the opt to not open the parks and allow the NBA and families to have access to any sort of park will do far more damage they any $$$ the NBA brings in.

To be honest you are going to be much safer at WDW then any other state. Not to mention I still do not see the parks even reaching sol out capacity except for the 1st 1-3 days.

You are going to be much safer then going to Publix, Walmart, Sams, Home Depot, ect...

Closing the bars was a big step that is going to help keep the careless folks home.

No Disney may pause opening opening other resorts or venues but they are going to move forward any further disruptions will have further financial implications with guests already planning to come and so on.

You want to stop the spread a total 100% shut down of the state for the next 90-120 days will do a ton but you can kiss any economic recovery good by for years....

Closing bars, mandatory face masks and fines if needed is a good start.

djkidkaz

I think it’s interesting that Disney announced a Food and Wine festival for Epcot once they open only to have the government put a shut down to alcohol sales. I understand it’s only if it’s more then 50% of your revenue which I’m sure it’s not for Epcot, but still a lot of people will probably not realize that detail and think there won’t be alcohol at Epcot. Disney just can’t catch a break!

Figurehead

In the Parks
No
I think they could stay on track for their opening if they are willing to dial back some things, but only they can determine if that makes sense. For example, indoor dining in parts of the country is still not permitted. Does that work in WDW? Will people accept that - how much room service are you willing to take in a hotel room? We only have outdoor dining in my state now, and when they do begin allowing indoor, I can tell you I won't be in a hurry to sit inside.

disneygeek90

I think it’s interesting that Disney announced a Food and Wine festival for Epcot once they open only to have the government put a shut down to alcohol sales. I understand it’s only if it’s more then 50% of your revenue which I’m sure it’s not for Epcot, but still a lot of people will probably not realize that detail and think there won’t be alcohol at Epcot. Disney just can’t catch a break!
Walked by the bar outside Margaraitaville at universal today. Still open. “On premise” drinking is the key. You’ll see little to no effect at Epcot’s grab and go style.

Logan L

Original Poster
Plus if they extended the opening date, they would have to do all reservations over again. They would have to completely redo all of the progress that they made and start form square one. That is one reason that I think that they will not extend the date. And also, Disney is going to have to find a way to exist and do business in this ”new normal”. i hate that term, but it is true, at least for now. We can’t shut down our whole country whenever there is a Large increase in cases. We need to find a safe, responsible, and sustainable way to operate during this time. This won’t go on forever, but until it is over we need to find a way to exist with the current circumstances. I know that Disney could announce something out of the blue in the next few days. If they are going to say something, it will happen this week. They open in 14 days and they will not want to keep people waiting. Maybe if it was the beginning of June and this was happening, I could see an extension. But now, it is highly unlikely in my opinion.

carolina_yankee

If Disney delays opening (and I”m not taking a position on whether or not they should - many variables to consider both economic and medical), I don’t see how they actually open until next year. Nobody will commit time and money to another “will they or won’t they“ scenario. I would suspect that Disney couldn’t open until Florida had been shown to be completely beyond the peak. Honestly, I fully expect them to open as planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom